“A lovely hotel”

Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sissi
Taunton, United Kingdom
“A lovely hotel”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here in July for one week. I searched very hard for a five star hotel in Crete as I know they are either extremely expensive or not up to scratch! The Castello spa was lovely. We were given an upgrade of a private pool for two days but decided to extend it for the remainder of our stay. The room was spotless and the bed so comfortable and the pool very welcoming on a hot day. Room 401. The staff were lovely and we enjoyed many a cocktail in the lovely bar area. I had several treatments in the spa which were all five star. Sissi itself is very low key and exactly what we wanted. A short walk to shops and the very romantic harbour.. We hired a car, just next to the hotel, and visited the beach at the Minos ruins site which was really nice with a fantastic taverna right on the beach with fab food at cheap prices.
I work in hospitality at a five star level and am looking to return soon. Hopefully in September !

Room Tip: Corner suites with a pool have privacy
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nicola s

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This hotel was a great find and perfect for a family with older teenagers. We had two Superior Rooms overlooking the beautiful garden and pool and they were immaculate, with the biggest beds anywhere outside the USA! As others have said, though, it is the staff that make the difference - they really give the impression that they enjoy their jobs and care about the guests: the service is outstanding and nothing is too much trouble. A short stroll from the restaurants and bars in Sissi's pretty harbour, the hotel also enjoys the perfect location. We normally avoid the entertainment programme when we stay in hotels but the quality of performance was very high (and not every night, we hasten to add) and the combination of live music and delicious cocktails was irresistible! It would be easy to hide away here for a fortnight and not see anything more of Crete, but if you are prepared to hire a car and drive, this is an ideal base for anyone who doesn't want to pay Elounda prices to get 5-star service.

Room Tip: The Superior Rooms with balconies overlooking the garden are worth paying extra for but they are abo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Karen W
London
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This review is a little late but I want to recommend this hotel. My daughter and I spent 9 nights here in June. We loved it. We had picked it because of the excellent reviews on tripadvisor and we are glad that we did. We were looked after so well from the minute we arrived. The common theme from tripadvisor reviews is praise for the staff and this praise is well deserved.

My daughter loved all the cocktails that Angelo made and he made us so welcome every night. The service in the restaurant is wonderful and friendly. Adonis and Giorgios looked after us, recommending local wines for us to try and going to so much trouble to ensure that I had the perfect coffee at breakfast. We enjoyed the food very much and there was plenty of choice. On the one night when the main courses didn't appeal to my daughter, Giorgios arranged for her to have some delicious grilled chicken. Breakfast was excellent, especially the eggs cooked to order. My daughter had an omelette every day we were there! The restaurant manager, Nikos was professional and charming as was everyone on the reception desk.

Our room was very comfortable and spotless, the only problem was a bit of a leak from the shower. I appreciated having a fridge and a kettle in the room.

We would love to return one day and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sam058
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

When we arrived we were greeted with Wine and food in our room as we had missed dinner service. ALL the staff are faultless.. Serious attention to detail. We upgraded our room to the suite with private pool, Room 101. WORTH EVERY PENNY!! The meals at the restaurant were also superb, advice though it is 5* so they expect smart dress for men!

The bar man Angelo is a gentleman.. he makes the strangest cocktails known and they are normally gorgeous . The location is also great... Overall we WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Upgrade to suit with private pool!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

This place is very good. Stayed for 7 nights in a standard room overlooking the church.

Food is varied, plentiful and delicious each day.

What separates this place from the rest is the quality and friendly attitude of the staff. It makes a massive difference as you know.

Angelo makes amazing cocktails and Giorgios is very entertaining in the resteraunt!

Roula is also an amazing receptionist with all the knowledge you could ask for.

I'm recommending this place to all of my family and friends.

Staying in Domes of Elounda for the other week of the honeymoon so review pot follow.

Afcharisto Castello

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mr S
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went there with my wife and a 6 year old daughter. Fantastic place and as many other reviewers have noted the staff there are exceptional. From the first greeting when you get there to any part of the stay, nothing is too much trouble. Not a huge hotel which suits us to the ground and added to the staff getting to know the residents.

Food was fantastic, spacious clean rooms and would only note that the spa could do with marketing itself more and offering more treatments.

Best beaches nearby are Malia Palace and Kalimera Kriti. Beach in the town Sissi itself is pretty dismal, tiny and overcrowded.

Would highly recommend the hotel!

Room Tip: Would recommend you get a room with a garden view, which all overlook the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited this hotel for 2 weeks in March. We booked the holiday for his 40th birthday and we really could not have booked a better place it was very romantic, quite and extremely friendly.
We booked room 101 which was a junior suite/pool and it was a corner room which meant we had more balcony space, the bed was the most comfortable I've slept in abroad. The room was spotless and exactly what we imagined.

From getting there to leaving the staff were amazing, let me tell you a bit about them. We were greeted by a friendly receptionist, check in was very fast and we were then promptly shown to our room my partner nipped to the shop for some lager while i unpacked and soaked in the view, the shop is extremely handy and was literally below our room.
We went down to our evening meal that night and were met by the most friendliest bar man ever his name was Angelo and he was funny and had great skills. After drinks we then went for out meal which was superb, our server was George whom became our entertainment during our stay. He was always smiling and helpful, every hotel should have a George. Our waitress the next morning was Lavinia and she was really friendly, giggly and lovely to be around, she was our little ray of sunshine every day, I have kept in touch with her via Facebook as well as another lovely girl from the spa, Georgiana, she was amazing and both myself and my partner had 2 treatments from her which were amazing and relaxing, these two girls really helped make our holiday so a big thank you to them both :-)
The reception manager was Rondica ( not sure I've spelt that correct) anyway this lovely lady made sure my partner had a birthday to remember, she got him a cake and a bottle of bubbly sent to the room and really made us feel special, I cannot thank her enough for this, she was always on duty and was extremely helpfull and happy during our full stay, the two other girls on reception were also fantastic and even let my partner print out some urgent work he needed to check.
Every day we got a friendly hello and had a little chat to these ladies and it gave us a happy start to our day.
Also the restaurant manager Niko deserves a thank you, the food was amazing and this is the first hotel out of many we have been to where we have not been bored of the food in the second week.
We spent our days either lazing round the beautiful pool relaxing in the peacefulness or walking around the little village of sissi soaking up the sites. One day we went to Malia and we were both glad we were not staying there and had our lovely little boutique hotel to return to.
Just over the road from us was a English pub called the Jolly Roger, this is a really nice place with a friendly English couple running it.

The whole ambience of the castello boutique and spa is outstanding and I very much doubt you could go here and not have a good time,
I really do not know where these people leaving a negative review have actually stayed, not wanting to brag but me and my partner have at least 2 holidays a year and only stay in 5 star hotels, we've done cruises and traveled the world yet we could not find fault with this hotel and believe me I will complain when needed.
If your thinking about going away for a relaxing, quite, romantic break then do not hesitate to book this hotel I cannot sing its praise highly enough BOOK NOW

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emfow1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sissi
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#6 of 171 in Hersonissos
Royal Marmin Bay Boutique & Art Hotel
Castello Village Resort
St. Nicolas Bay Resort Hotel & Villas

Been to Castello Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!