Maria Hotel & Apts
US$156
US$147
US$58
US$53
Castello Boutique Resort & Spa(Sissi)
US$210
US$199
Castello Village Resort(Sissi)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$313
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbbq nightpool barair conrooms are basicshort walkstifadoother guestswonderful hostsgreat holidaygreek dancingbase to explorelarge beersee you next yearsecond weekmet some lovely peoplefamily runplenty of sunbeds
Reviewed 10 June 2014

As a busy, professional 27 year old female I like to get away myself each year for a week of quiet time, detox and sun without the bloke or my mates. I usually go to Crete but this was my first time at Maria and Sissi too.

I turned up in the middle of the night (3:45 am after a delay at Glasgow airport…) and the reception was empty. A wee shout “Helloooo…” and Giannis, the manager, appeared to give me a key take my booking voucher and get me to my room quickly (Even though he had no record of my booking from the operator).

The apartment was the usual basic Greek set up but this was by far the cleanest apartment I’ve had in my 8 visits to Crete!

The fridge in room 1 is pretty noisy when it clicks on and could do with a replacement but I’m not precious and it never bothered me. The room faced onto the garden and pool with a little balcony to sit out in which came in handy in the evenings with my study books.

I never cooked in the apartment, I preferred to eat Sophia’s amazing Greek salad at the pool bar for lunch every day. Prices at the pool bar are very reasonable and the food is of a good standard. I never had it but the big breakfast looked and smelled delicious and was a favourite of most the residents.

I ate dinner at the nearby Taverna Neromilos, 5 minutes up the road, a separate review for that will follow but it is the best Greek food I’ve ever eaten and crazy cheap! Don't waste time going anywhere else first.

You are a 10 minute walk from the main town of Sissi with everything you’d need and this is a beautiful low key resort offering great food at reasonable prices. If you really need a night out you can get to Malia for 15 Euro from the hotel.

Travelling on my own is always a bit of a risk but I’ve never felt safer than at Maria, the residents were very laid back, mostly adults with 1 or 2 kids between the whole complex and most importantly no crazy Malia party noise/ quad bikes to contend with.

The buildings and pool area are very well maintained and as it’s family run it has a lovely chilled out vibe to the whole set up!

I have no grumbles about my time here, in fact I paid £200 for flights, transfers and a week at Maria IN TOTAL and I cannot wait to go back with my girlfriends in a few months for more sun and I’ll be out next May for my usual week alone. Go you will not regret it!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper/ not a late night lover, ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank KarlyFarly
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is basic but very clean, which we were told on tripadivor. The hotel is situsated just on the outskirts of the habour which was excellent. The problem came from the noise from the bar area until 04:00hrs most nights. The manger did not seem to care when we complained, he seemed more about how much people were spending at the bar. One family left to another hotel.
Would go back to sissi, crete but not the Maria.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs or sleeping tablets
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived on 30/5 at almost midnight to be greeted warmly by Giannis, the owner, as we got off the bus and shown to our room. We enquired about food and were told " no problem come to the bar" which we did, lovely bar area, good selection of snacks, all made freshly on the spot and reasonably priced. As we ate our food a rendition of Happy Birthday was sung (a holidaymakers birthday!) and a birthday cake made by Sofia,the owners wife was dished out to all of us, followed by a free fruit punch type shot, remember we had only arrived 30 mins before, its that friendly a place, we immediately felt welcome. The rooms are basic and very clean, we were on a room only basis and had a double bed, fridge, kettle,cutlery,crockery for 2 etc. I think the s/c rooms are a bit bigger and have a 2 ring cooker. There's also the option of air con however we managed without as we had several overcast days. Our room overlooked the pool and bar, there was a little noise but nothing to moan about, I mention that because I overheard that someone complained! The pool is very well maintained and had the most comfortable sunbeds we've ever come across and no bed booking! For us what made the holiday so special was Giannis, his family, staff and the lovely people we met! Sissi is a gorgeous place and the Cretans are the friendliest people! We will definitely be back!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lynjf
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed last June but never got around to writing a review. Stayed for the second time at the Maria with my girlfriend, Sarah (her 5th stay I think!). Good rooms with aircon if you want it, though we haven't used it so far. Very friendly atmosphere in the bar and around the pool with sport on the TV if you want it. BBQ night is great fun with traditional food and dancing, the more people get involved the better it is! Generally the food is basic and good value but more snack based as most people eat out in the evenings as there are so many restaurants in Sissi you could probably eat somewhere different everynight for a month. Occasionally Sofia cooks a greek special in the evenings which is really excellent.
The rooms are cleaned every day but you must take care not to leave food out as that will attract roaches and ants, as it would anywhere, so anyone complaining about these shouldn't blame the hotel. Also, take good mosquito repellant as these can be a pain although if you do react to a bite there is a good pharmacist in the village. Giannis keeps the pool in pristine condition.
Giannis, we are coming back in July and this time will be bringing my daughter and her friend, can't wait.Dave

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Dave H
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Mr GP loves the Maria as do I and I flagged the new reivew from Shirley C - which he was bemused by. We sent her a pm asking (as she says she knows Sissi very well) where she did like, but for some reason she did not reply. Mr GP still loves, the Maria, the people and the food and is wondering why somebody joins TA and posts just one not very nice review about one hotel? Makes you wonder too doesn't it?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple