All reviewshammock chairshalf boardswing seatsbed and breakfastoverlooking the harbourair constuffed tomatoesflowers and plantsyogurttzatzikino tea and coffee making facilitiesrooms are basicper daypretty hotelwhite wallslovely hoteltravel kettle
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This was our fourth visit to Palm Bay Hotel, we had a large room on the upper floor which had a lovely sea/side road view.

The balcony was the biggest we have had there and it was so peaceful and relaxing to sit out there as the flowers and plants are so beautiful!

It was very busy this year there were a lot of guests so the dining room was always full
although the food has not improved at all, it is always cold and tasteless and we just ended up having jam/toast with tea!
This is why we are trying another Island next year,although the hotel is so lovely and relaxing it's a shame.

Another thing is, it is hard to get a sunbed in the sun, there are so many palm trees they block out the sun after a couple of hours so you have to keep moving around the pool to get back in the sun!

The beach near the hotel is too rocky to sunbathe on, so we had to hire a car to travel around to other beaches,we found a couple of good sandy beaches within a short drive so that was a good change from the pool and having to move around it!

We have enjoyed returning to this hotel because it is so relaxing and if you can overlook the food and as we did, eat out at the great restaurants in the village.

It is a lovely place, I suppose if the food improved it would be fully booked!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor have the best views with plenty of light, the ground floor rooms have a lot of overhanging flowers and are darker.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marie247970
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Having visited Sissi in the past we had always liked the look of the Palm Bay. Having read the reviews the only concern we had was the food but thought we would give it a go anyway. The hotel, as we already knew, is in beautiful surroundings, probably the prettiest in Sissi; the flowers surrounding the rooms were amazing.

The room we were allocated was on the top floor (only two floors anyway) and was a good size. We paid seven euros for the use of the safe and the room had a reasonably sized, albeit noisy, fridge. The bathroom had both a bath and above bath shower. The tv was a bit archaic; no remote and we could only find one channel in English, Euronews, but then we hadn't gone on holiday to watch tv! The balcony was a very decent size with a table and two chairs and a canopy of pink and white Bougainvillea. The room was clean and the maid was in everyday. Towels were changed every 3 days, ok for October but probably not in the hotter months. The hotel pool is small but again the setting is really good, only a couple of minutes walk to the sea. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, particularly the girl on reception during the daytime. Loved the layout of the hotel, it was almost like walking through small streets in a village. The main 'hub' of Sissi is only a five or six minute walk away, lovely for an evening stroll and sitting in the hammock swings makes for a very enjoyable and relaxing end to a day.

Our only concern was the food. Breakfast was very similar each day but that wasn't the problem. We were down each morning at 8:15 by which time everything was lukewarm at best - including the fried eggs/scrambled eggs etc. The butter 'packs' were always frozen and had to be warmed against my cup of tea. There was a large bowl of fruit but it was tinned fruit and the porridge turned out to be almost cold rice pudding. The evening meal did have a reasonable selection of salad offerings and the main courses were marginally warmer than breakfast probably because we were down at 7pm as the restaurant opened. It would definitely have helped if food had been labelled. As a vegetarian I was limited to eating potatoes, tinned peas, carrots and pasta when it was evident that the sauce was meat free. It was really difficult most of the time to distinguish whether meat was included. The dessert almost every evening was melon? There was plenty of 'stewed' meat on offer but again no labels and as it was covered in gravy impossible to tell what type of meat it was before eating it. It really is a shame that the hotel owners have not responded to the comments about the food given by so many people on trip advisor. There are good local restaurants but when you have already paid for half board it seems unfair that you should have to pay twice.

We really enjoyed our holiday and loved our stay at the Palm Bay but the food would make us think twice before booking there again. They would do better to offer residents the option of booking either rooms only, or room and 'continental' breakfast i.e. croissants and tea/coffee. They could keep the main bar serving drinks all day and continue offering 'outside' meals at the tables overlooking the harbour as they do now and which, strangely enough, are edible!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosebudpink
Reviewed 12 October 2017

We read about the food here before we went but the price was the same as B & B elsewhere so we were not surprised that the evening buffet was inedible. The breakfast was boring and OK provided you only ate the eggs from the hot food. We love greek food and this is the only place we have been where the food was so poor. The funny thing was that if you bought the food from the pool bar the food was actually OK. The hotel itself is in a beautiful setting and the rooms were basic, typically greek but very clean.A little more work on the restaurant would make this the perfect place for a peaceful getaway.

Room Tip: Upstairs towards the back gives best views
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phil J
Reviewed 11 October 2017

I stayed at the Palm Bay Hotel from 26th September - 6th October. I was allocated a ground floor room, which I was not very happy with as I am a single traveller, however I accepted it. I should have requested a room on an upper floor. When I went on to my terrace it was very dark, even during the daytime, as the view was of the eating areas and swing chairs. I felt I had no real privacy so kept my curtains closed if I was in the room, I had all the lights on as it was very dark. The food at the hotel was OK - not fantastic, but not inedible. Not a huge choice of anything, but to be fair the hotel catered for many nationalities. Plus points - the towels were beautifully white, the maid service was excellent they came round and cleaned every day. The (quite small) pool area was a little cluttered with lots of loungers - I think it would be difficult to get a lounger in the height of season. I had a bath and shower, which was wonderful as it was a short bath and I could lie in it properly! The local area was lovely, the beach was not up to much - basically it was a small stretch of sandy rock with no shade and no facilities (café, toilets). The hotel was beautifully situated, and the little village is gorgeous but it's really not for me. However, I met some wonderful people and did have a lovely holiday. It's not the worst place I've stayed in, but not the best either. There was a fridge in the room which was good, I should have brought a kettle so I could have coffee. I stayed half board and was a bit dismayed to see that not even water was provided with the evening meal (not even from the machine which provided the juice and water at breakfast) yet there were notices to say you could not bring your own drinks into the hotel public areas (even round the pool). It was OK, but I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Ask for at least a first floor room
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Audster5
Reviewed 8 October 2017

I've just had a lovely week at the Palm Bay Hotel. It is in a wonderful location, and the hotel is an amazing lay out with lemon trees, plants and flowers all around it. The staff are lovely, especially the 2 lovely ladies who work on the front desk. They always smile and do what they can to help.
My room was spacious and looked out to sea, and was cleaned every day with a towel and sheet change every 3 days. At the bottom of the hotel to the left is a lovely area to swim in a natural pool, in which you can swim with views around of the beautiful harbour. If you want a sandy beach though, it is a mile walk through the village with a trek down a steep track, so for those mobility impaired, you may struggle to get to that one. The hotel has a lovely pool with palm trees around it though if you just want to chill by the pool.
I know the reviews about the food are dire on this site, but I was OK. If you like healthy good food, you won't go hungry. Every morning for breakfast, I had fresh bread, hard boiled eggs, fresh tomatoes and cucumber with a slice of cheese, which kept me going until lunch time. It is the same every day, but hot food is also available for breakfast, but I didn't have it.
The evening meal consists of a choice of 2 meat dishes, normally lamb, chicken or pork and some nights fish, always with pasta, or rice, and a fresh salad is always available. You can get beetroot, Greek salad and a dip. It's best to get there when dinner opens at 7.00pm, as the food is piping hot at that time. At around 8.30pm, it looks less appetizing. The evening buffet is open from 7-9PM
If you want real traditional Greek dishes, like mousakka and beef stifado etc, then you are best going for bed and breakfast and going out to tavernas for your evening meal, because you wont get that here, but I found the food tasty, healthy and filling. Fresh water melon is always available for desert with one sweet on offer, which I didn't try as a weight watcher!
The restaurant has a lovely open area where you can eat and look over the bay, though wild cats do wander around that area trying to scrounge your food! None of them were too invasive though!
The bar and restaurant staff are lovely and work round the clock to keep you happy. Big shout out to Rigi who is there every day, and always provides a service with a smile.
This is a lovely place to holiday, and Sissi is just magical- traditional Greece; a quiet resort with enough bars and tavernas to keep you happy.

It really is value for money. I had a lovely trip, and if you are travelling alone, this a is a great spot to stay, as there are many solo travellers, who are great to hang out with.

I would recommend this if you are wanting a relaxed week away, in a traditional Greek resort with real charm.

Room Tip: Room facing the sea IS quieter, though you can hear music from local night club some night where ever you stay.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo