“couldnt be better”
Review of Mourtemeno Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syvota
Mourtemeno Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Syvota
Wirksworth, England, United Kingdom
“couldnt be better”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I dont know how much the dissatisfied customer who wrote the long review paid, but for it would be impossible to get anything better for £150 with Olympus Holidays ... a fabulous week in an excellent hotel

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Sally H

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Greek first
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just had a wonderful week in Sivota, 10-17th July 2014. Hotel Mourtemeno very clean, good breakfast, When we went not too busy so able to use the pool which was very clean. Christos was very helpful and friendly. Far enough away from the town but an easy walk. The town has some very good places to eat and the staff are all very friendly. We were lucky as my son is working in Sivota so most of the local restaurant staff knew him. Make an effort to walk to the beaches and do visit the Sun Bar. We went on the coach trip to Meteora, which is a fantastic place and well worth a visit. However, it would have been of more benefit to have stayed there longer than just the hour we were given. It is long coach journey. I felt time was wasted visiting a tourist shop and stopping for breakfast. Also if you do have time to visit the monasteries make sure you have appropriate clothing which covers your knees and arms otherwise you will not be allowed in. Next time we will hire a car. Even if I had worn the right clothing we would not of had enough time to go in. All in all a fantastic holiday and we will definately stay at the Moutemeno Hotel again. Can't wait!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda5542
sheffield
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Somewhere on TA, possibly the forum, I’ve read that the rep Avis allocates the better rooms to those who book well in advance and those who are last minute get the smaller rooms. I booked this holiday in June 2013, over a YEAR before date of travel. We were allocated room 17 which was not a good room. I dread to think what sort of room we would have been allocated last minute. Firstly,I will say the self catering equipment (cutlery etc) was very well stocked but there is an horrendous lack of space to put non fridge items. There is simply a fridge and the cupboard under the sink is where the refuse bin is. There is only an incredibly small surface on which to prepare a sandwich/cut fruit up etc.

Secondly, the room was very small such that the space to get to the bathroom (at the bottom of one of the beds) was very narrow indeed and my other half (who is fit and able bodied) constantly banged his legs. I have fairly bad arthritis and found the studio and the bathroom horrendous. We had one of those dreadful half baths so twice a day, I took my life in my hands getting in and out of the wretched thing. The bathroom has no window, just a ventilation vent but without an extractor fan and there was no plug on the wash basin, just a big hole (without any kind of grid across it so it was very easy to drop things down it) – we had to buy a small bowl for my other half to shave. The studio room is hexagonal which meant everything looked untidy all the time, especially as there were no places to put swimwear/underwear/bits and pieces, just two very narrow bedside table drawers and a couple of thin drawers under the “dressing table”. This meant there were carrier bags everywhere with stuff in.

The aircon worked well (it was a new unit) – 98E for two weeks. The pool area is extremely small although one day I waited for 15 mins for someone to serve me with a drink & snack (not good enough given the lectures we were given about not eating and drinking our own items round the pool – I fully understand this (regarding the establishment being fined) but if this is the case then staff should be present to serve - there wasn’t even a bell to ring for service).

MOSQUITOES I know another reviewer said there is a bad problem with mozzies in this accom and I agree -they must be living in the piping ducts. We had two of the plug ins in our room (more than enough for the square meterage) and in the middle of the night, I often awoke to find winged things flying about in our room (moths etc as well as mozzies) so I know somehow they were getting in. I haven’t had any bites for years and had absolutely loads this time despite DEET spray, aftersun with repellent in etc. I think they got me when going to the loo because of the location of the bites (enough said).

LOCATION – now I appreciate that the majority of people will not have my mobility issues but (to me) this accommodation is not handy for anything. Avis suggested a short cut to get to the nearest beach – what she failed to mention is that at the end of this short cut (which was strewed with thorns) is that a) you should make sure you wear long trousers and b) at the end there is a very steep bank (almost perpendicular) – given that I am awaiting a knee replacement I do not know how the heck I managed to get up this bank except to say I threw my haversack to my other half and then he was able to drag me up. Needless to say we did not take that short cut again – once was enough. If you are able bodied and 25 or even 65 then it’s fine, if you can manage to walk but have difficulties then give it a miss. If I had been on my own I would have had to walk back and go the long way round.

The walking distances (for me) were as follows:- to the harbour area (where the majority of tavernas are) 23 minutes down there and 26 back (very slightly up hill). Zavvia beach – very nice & pretty, sunbeds and brollies but no taverna/loos. About 18 min there and 22 back (the long way). Mega Ammos beach – took us 30 mins to walk there and 35 back. Nearest supermarket about 15 mins there and the same back). Other more able bodied people will be able to do these journeys much more quickly. And the Mega Ammos walk is on a main road without pavements.

Taverna standards were very good but by the way everyone, the taverna people keep calling Octpia is correctly called OSTRIA (and it is very good).

Car Hire – very expensive in this resort – there’s only two places and suffice it to say in August when we go to Crete we are getting a car for the whole of our two weeks for only 15 E more than we paid in Sivota for one week.

We paid for the boat trip that Olympic so highly recommended (Costas’s boat for 50 E each) but unfortunately my other half got an horrendous bout of food poisoning and I rang on the day to cancel. Did Isabella Tours mention at 8.50 am that the weather was too bad for the trip and in any event it was cancelled? No, they did not. Did Olympic or Isabella Tours give us our money back, or offer for us to go on another day ? No they did not. I am disgusted. Please note, if the weather had been good I would have just written this off, it’s the fact that the trip was cancelled and they kept quiet about it, that I find so galling.

With regard to the food poisoning, we are not sure which taverna it was so refuse to include it in a review (there was a possibility of two) and it would be incredibly unfair on the other taverna so I’m not posting anything further regarding this. Although we are now back home, the doc confirms it is food poisoning,and he is still ill, but the uncontrollable shivering, massively high temperatures and headaches have now abated.

So to summarise –

WIFI 5 Euros per electronic device – works best in reception and even then can be a bit hit and miss but better than no WIFI at all.

AIRCON – new unit that worked well

STAFF – all friendly & pleasant, Christos a very nice man and very kind and helpful.

No Airing racks – thank God I took a small washing line and pegs (they really need airers).

REP – I feel some people have made inappropriate comments previously regarding the rep. However, Avis has a very strong personality (needed when dealing with the public) and this may not suit everyone. Her Greek is good and her knowledge of natural history and general history of the area is also good and indeed her knowledge of the resort and area is also good. She is well intentioned, but occasionally can be patronising . However, she is infinitely better than some of younger airhead reps we’ve had in the past.

Based on the experience of this room, & the location, we will not be returning to this accommodation and probably not this resort.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jennywren31
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our second visit to Mourtemeno. It's a basic hotel but beautifully clean and the staff are friendly and welcoming. Christos is a thoughtful host and we enjoyed his company. We took a cafetiere to make morning coffee - ask for a kettle, A ten minute walk to the bakery to buy fresh bread and croissants then breakfast on our balcony overlooking the fields and hills. Perfect start to the day. Take the 50E trip on Costas yacht (only eight people allowed) across to Paxos and Anti Paxos - a wonderful day out visiting picturesque harbours on Paxos and a beautiful bay for a swim. Hirew your own motor boat and poddle round the islands, anchor and swim in clear seas. Don't go to Sivota for night life - it's a little working village - nothing quaint but lovely scenery, friendly people and lovely shingle beaches. We will return.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. It's a peaceful place. Top floor have bigger bathrooms.
3 Thank buddyboyLiverpool
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Second time we have visited this hotel and on both occasions left totally relaxed.Rooms and facilities are adequate, but don't go expecting 5 star. Rooms very clean and of a good size as are balconies. Pool is small but again big enough to have a quick dip or do some gentle exercise.Staff friendly and helpful particularly Christos. Hotel is situated in a quiet residential area that is within walking distance to six beaches, a bakery, super markets and Sivota's harbour and main town center. It's also a great base if you want to go exploring the Greek mainland or visiting other beaches along the Epirus coast. We love it!!!

Room Tip: Each time we have visited we have chosen a first floor room overlooking the pool. These have an inla...
2 Thank Maccas1989
macclesfield
Reviewed 24 June 2014

On arrival we were allocated a room at the back on the top floor which had very pleasant views overlooking a small field towards the hills.From our generously sized balcony it was quite entertaining watching the dog chasing the man who was strimming the grass. The room was basic but more than adequate for 2 week holiday.
Christos is a very pleasant young man and very knowledgeable about English football.
We only swam in the pool once but found it very refreshing after a 20 minute walk from Mega Ammos beach in 30c heat. Hardly anyone around it when we were there.
This hotel is very well placed down a quiet road with no steep hills to negotiate. It's not too far from the best beach in Sivota (Mega Ammos) and only 10 mins from Zavia beach although there are no facilities there this year.
Would recommend this hotel especially early or later in the season.

Room Tip: Pick a room at the back on the upper floors as these only get the sun in the mornings so are cooler...
wiltshire
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here September 2013, stayed in room 8 studio, it was so small we had to take it in turns moving around the room, wardrobe door wouldn't close, small rusty fridge on floor which had a tray with dirty green mat on with 2 glasses, small bathroom, with half sit on bath with shower over, had to hang shower head through window as there was no attachment to hang it on, It needs a complete renovation. Staff were lovely, couldn't fault the pool area, I wouldn't bother with the breakfast, ham, cheese, hard boiled egg every day.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShirleyWiltshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syvota
Aqua Oliva Resort
#1 of 17 in Syvota
Filakas Hotel
Filakas Hotel
#3 of 17 in Syvota

Been to Mourtemeno Hotel? Share your experiences!