“Hotel run on a budget!”
Review of Mourtemeno Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syvota
Mourtemeno Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Syvota
Newport
“Hotel run on a budget!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Unlike other reviewers of this hotel, we paid full book price for this 2 week self-catering studio.
It was room 31 on the 2nd floor at the back which was great since we didn't get all the noise from the pool area but not so great for using the balcony because it was just too hot until the sun passed over at about 3pm. There was also a wasps nest in the roof there so we had to keep coils burning to keep them away while eating.

The hotel demanded 20euro deposit for a kettle even if you were on a self catering basis. There was no room to prepare even a sandwich, nowhere to store non fridge items, no table and not even a chair in the room. There was 1 wardrobe and a small drawer in each bedside cabinet. We had to put our cases on top of the wardrobe and use the suitcase racks as impromptu food prep areas. There was no extractor fan in the bathroom so it became VERY smelly because of the bin! Sheets and towels were stained and the cleaner kept turning down the fridge so things in the freezer compartment would start to defrost.

Syvota is very beautiful but it is not a haven of peace or an undiscovered gem, but is full of Serbs, Italians et al so some beaches become very crowded.If you are here to get a tan around the pool then it will suit you. If you want to see something more authentically Greek then you need plenty of spending money. There is no public transport, the 4 travel agents all charge the same prices for excursions which will cost you a minimum of 25E pp., and car hire is approx 55E per day. This is our 6th trip to Greece in 2 years and this is the most expensive place we have been.

Meteora is really worth visiting despite the long coach journey. The bus didn't turn up for us and Isabella Tours just wanted to give us a refund but we insisted that they got us there because there is only 1 trip to Meteora per week from Syvota on a Weds. They were absolutely useless at the office but Avis sorted it out, got us to parga to join a trip the following day. Of course, those who were only there for a week had to miss the trip, which really is not acceptable.

Our advice is to go prepared. Save 98E on air con and take a small fan, take washing line and pegs which you can use to seal dry packaging, take lots of mosquito repellents and after bite. Buy beach mats, parasol, chairs etc asap and you don't need to rely on locals to rent them out. Some beaches have no facilities especially those you discover by walking over headlands.

If you turn left out of the hotel and keep walking through the rough ground you will join a road. follow it up the hill, past a german sign saying mannheim 3112k until you see a well and a modern fronted church. this is where the signs for the deserted village of Brahonas start. It's 8k to the village but if you walk up the hill you will be rewarded with 180 degree views.

We discovered a fantastic little beach on the other side of the Zavia beach peninsular. Steep walk and steps but we did get it all to ourselves.

Room Tip: Top floor at the back is quieter but can get very hot in the morning
1 Thank welshladyNewport

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We booked a late deal through Olympic and have returned feeling relaxed and pleasantly surprised at what we got for the low cost holiday. Our accommodation was on the side ground floor but was elevated so you didn't get people walking past your balcony. We had an inland view which was primarily overlooking someone's back yard but we didn't mind. The bonus was that we had expected to pay for air conditioning but had enough shade throughout the day that we didn't need it. The room had a teeny kitchen but we got along ok. The bathroom had constant hot water and bins were changed daily. I would agree with other reviews, we couldn't use the towels provided but I had gone prepared for that - sheets were very thin and could have felt fresher but were clean.
Pool is too small to swim but nice for a dip and enough for the kids to stay amused. Not many sunbeds but most families were reasonable about this. The hotel bar is available for shade and drinks and snacks all day too (toastie 2 euros, water 50c). Only grumble for us was that sound proofing between rooms is not great so you are dependent on the habits of fellow guests which in our case was chairs scraping and noise about 2.00 am (not really the hotel's fault though). The real gem is the weather and the area and islands around Sivota. In terms of location, Mourtemeno is about 1 mile from the quay and the main restaurants - it has a great bakery and ice cream shop five mins walk away. Foodwise, our best greek salad we found in mamma mia pizzeria and kids loved the pizzas. Worst food experience in Hotel Hellas.
All said we had a nice holiday - I would recommend hiring a boat 30 euros for half a day plus 20ish euros for fuel. We did the organised boat trip to Paxos which was an ok day trip.
Sivota is traditional, unspoilt Greece. If you have self catered in Greece before you'll know what to expect if not you may find it a bit too basic. We left happy - if I had paid the standard rate may be I would have felt differently'.

Room Tip: We had room 5 on the side which I would have again .
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Thedads1000
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Our hotel apartment was spacious and clean, we were on the top floor and had lovely views of the sea and hills. I used the cute little kitchen quite a lot, there was sufficient equipment to cook some lovely meals using vegetables and meat from local shops and supermarkets. We could hear crickets and birds every day which was lovely. The main areas of the hotel and pool side were clean and attractive, with plenty of well looked after plants. We felt so relaxed and it felt like a home from home. Christos the manager, was always friendly and helpful regardless of what hour of the day or night. Especially helpful to us as my husband sprained a tendon and Christos made sure we got to see a doctor and were ok with taxis whenever we went out. The cleaning ladies were always polite, friendly and cheery, (we got fresh linens/towels twice a week). The food in the tavernas we ate in were very good and huge portions. I am vegetarian and it was so easy to find vegetable and pasta dishes. We visited Spiros, the Steak House and although all were very good and recommended, our favourite was Castillio set right back near the harbour on the right, situated near the Harbour supermarket that has a beautiful parrot. We found Sivota very relaxing with helpful, friendly shopkeepers. We loved the bakery with its little biscuits and bread. There are tourist shops for souvenirs and also some lovely clothes shops too. The area is very quiet and relaxing, days were spent at the small local beach, heavenly to swim in and we hired 2 sun beds for 5 euros a day. We paid 6 euros each for our hotel breakfast on the morning we left, as much as you could eat of cereal, eggs, ham, cheese, bread, fruit, cakes, tea and coffee, which I thought was good value. We spent evenings sitting in a bar watching the boats in the harbour. We also we ate out with some lovely people we met at the hotel and had plenty of time to chat to others, as well as being in our company which we both enjoyed, so we have gained some lovely memories. I would love to come and stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views and are quieter
1 Thank Jenny D
Wirksworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I dont know how much the dissatisfied customer who wrote the long review paid, but for it would be impossible to get anything better for £150 with Olympus Holidays ... a fabulous week in an excellent hotel

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Sally H
Yeovil, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just had a wonderful week in Sivota, 10-17th July 2014. Hotel Mourtemeno very clean, good breakfast, When we went not too busy so able to use the pool which was very clean. Christos was very helpful and friendly. Far enough away from the town but an easy walk. The town has some very good places to eat and the staff are all very friendly. We were lucky as my son is working in Sivota so most of the local restaurant staff knew him. Make an effort to walk to the beaches and do visit the Sun Bar. We went on the coach trip to Meteora, which is a fantastic place and well worth a visit. However, it would have been of more benefit to have stayed there longer than just the hour we were given. It is long coach journey. I felt time was wasted visiting a tourist shop and stopping for breakfast. Also if you do have time to visit the monasteries make sure you have appropriate clothing which covers your knees and arms otherwise you will not be allowed in. Next time we will hire a car. Even if I had worn the right clothing we would not of had enough time to go in. All in all a fantastic holiday and we will definately stay at the Moutemeno Hotel again. Can't wait!

1 Thank Linda5542
sheffield
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Somewhere on TA, possibly the forum, I’ve read that the rep Avis allocates the better rooms to those who book well in advance and those who are last minute get the smaller rooms. I booked this holiday in June 2013, over a YEAR before date of travel. We were allocated room 17 which was not a good room. I dread to think what sort of room we would have been allocated last minute. Firstly,I will say the self catering equipment (cutlery etc) was very well stocked but there is an horrendous lack of space to put non fridge items. There is simply a fridge and the cupboard under the sink is where the refuse bin is. There is only an incredibly small surface on which to prepare a sandwich/cut fruit up etc.

Secondly, the room was very small such that the space to get to the bathroom (at the bottom of one of the beds) was very narrow indeed and my other half (who is fit and able bodied) constantly banged his legs. I have fairly bad arthritis and found the studio and the bathroom horrendous. We had one of those dreadful half baths so twice a day, I took my life in my hands getting in and out of the wretched thing. The bathroom has no window, just a ventilation vent but without an extractor fan and there was no plug on the wash basin, just a big hole (without any kind of grid across it so it was very easy to drop things down it) – we had to buy a small bowl for my other half to shave. The studio room is hexagonal which meant everything looked untidy all the time, especially as there were no places to put swimwear/underwear/bits and pieces, just two very narrow bedside table drawers and a couple of thin drawers under the “dressing table”. This meant there were carrier bags everywhere with stuff in.

The aircon worked well (it was a new unit) – 98E for two weeks. The pool area is extremely small although one day I waited for 15 mins for someone to serve me with a drink & snack (not good enough given the lectures we were given about not eating and drinking our own items round the pool – I fully understand this (regarding the establishment being fined) but if this is the case then staff should be present to serve - there wasn’t even a bell to ring for service).

MOSQUITOES I know another reviewer said there is a bad problem with mozzies in this accom and I agree -they must be living in the piping ducts. We had two of the plug ins in our room (more than enough for the square meterage) and in the middle of the night, I often awoke to find winged things flying about in our room (moths etc as well as mozzies) so I know somehow they were getting in. I haven’t had any bites for years and had absolutely loads this time despite DEET spray, aftersun with repellent in etc. I think they got me when going to the loo because of the location of the bites (enough said).

LOCATION – now I appreciate that the majority of people will not have my mobility issues but (to me) this accommodation is not handy for anything. Avis suggested a short cut to get to the nearest beach – what she failed to mention is that at the end of this short cut (which was strewed with thorns) is that a) you should make sure you wear long trousers and b) at the end there is a very steep bank (almost perpendicular) – given that I am awaiting a knee replacement I do not know how the heck I managed to get up this bank except to say I threw my haversack to my other half and then he was able to drag me up. Needless to say we did not take that short cut again – once was enough. If you are able bodied and 25 or even 65 then it’s fine, if you can manage to walk but have difficulties then give it a miss. If I had been on my own I would have had to walk back and go the long way round.

The walking distances (for me) were as follows:- to the harbour area (where the majority of tavernas are) 23 minutes down there and 26 back (very slightly up hill). Zavvia beach – very nice & pretty, sunbeds and brollies but no taverna/loos. About 18 min there and 22 back (the long way). Mega Ammos beach – took us 30 mins to walk there and 35 back. Nearest supermarket about 15 mins there and the same back). Other more able bodied people will be able to do these journeys much more quickly. And the Mega Ammos walk is on a main road without pavements.

Taverna standards were very good but by the way everyone, the taverna people keep calling Octpia is correctly called OSTRIA (and it is very good).

Car Hire – very expensive in this resort – there’s only two places and suffice it to say in August when we go to Crete we are getting a car for the whole of our two weeks for only 15 E more than we paid in Sivota for one week.

We paid for the boat trip that Olympic so highly recommended (Costas’s boat for 50 E each) but unfortunately my other half got an horrendous bout of food poisoning and I rang on the day to cancel. Did Isabella Tours mention at 8.50 am that the weather was too bad for the trip and in any event it was cancelled? No, they did not. Did Olympic or Isabella Tours give us our money back, or offer for us to go on another day ? No they did not. I am disgusted. Please note, if the weather had been good I would have just written this off, it’s the fact that the trip was cancelled and they kept quiet about it, that I find so galling.

With regard to the food poisoning, we are not sure which taverna it was so refuse to include it in a review (there was a possibility of two) and it would be incredibly unfair on the other taverna so I’m not posting anything further regarding this. Although we are now back home, the doc confirms it is food poisoning,and he is still ill, but the uncontrollable shivering, massively high temperatures and headaches have now abated.

So to summarise –

WIFI 5 Euros per electronic device – works best in reception and even then can be a bit hit and miss but better than no WIFI at all.

AIRCON – new unit that worked well

STAFF – all friendly & pleasant, Christos a very nice man and very kind and helpful.

No Airing racks – thank God I took a small washing line and pegs (they really need airers).

REP – I feel some people have made inappropriate comments previously regarding the rep. However, Avis has a very strong personality (needed when dealing with the public) and this may not suit everyone. Her Greek is good and her knowledge of natural history and general history of the area is also good and indeed her knowledge of the resort and area is also good. She is well intentioned, but occasionally can be patronising . However, she is infinitely better than some of younger airhead reps we’ve had in the past.

Based on the experience of this room, & the location, we will not be returning to this accommodation and probably not this resort.

1 Thank jennywren31
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our second visit to Mourtemeno. It's a basic hotel but beautifully clean and the staff are friendly and welcoming. Christos is a thoughtful host and we enjoyed his company. We took a cafetiere to make morning coffee - ask for a kettle, A ten minute walk to the bakery to buy fresh bread and croissants then breakfast on our balcony overlooking the fields and hills. Perfect start to the day. Take the 50E trip on Costas yacht (only eight people allowed) across to Paxos and Anti Paxos - a wonderful day out visiting picturesque harbours on Paxos and a beautiful bay for a swim. Hirew your own motor boat and poddle round the islands, anchor and swim in clear seas. Don't go to Sivota for night life - it's a little working village - nothing quaint but lovely scenery, friendly people and lovely shingle beaches. We will return.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet. It's a peaceful place. Top floor have bigger bathrooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple