Having been on several beach club holidays we didn't find this as good an experience as others have, partly for the activities and partly for the room (see comments below).
The location is beautiful, there are a lot of steps as mentioned on every review, but then most people on this sort of activity holiday are fit anyway. Not having seen it before the refurbishment, the main hotel complex looks good, and I was really impressed with:
1. the small gym and studio. As most of the classes were on the deck, you can use the varied equipment in the studio when its free
2. the spa is new, and treatments were very good
3. being able to road bike is great, a definite plus for the resort
4. the possibility to day sail on a yacht, most beach clubs don't have this
5. the food was generally good, providing you didn't pile your plate high on the buffet (but the coffee on offer in the restaurant was awful).
6. Free beach towels and kettles are a great improvement.
By comparison to other beach clubs I was disappointed in the sailing here. Most resorts have sailing off a beach where one can sit and watch; here the sailing and windsurfing is far removed from the pool area, and the beach sitting area is out of view from the sailing area (with no facilities). We had quite varied weather and it was difficult to tell if there was sailing taking place as no flags were flown - and a return journey of 450 steps to find out what conditions were. We didn't want to do a course because of the time commitment but on reflection maybe we should have. It wasn't sufficiently tempting to do free sailing, which was one of my reasons for going.
We took the night excursion to Parga, but looking back we should have just hired a car - the trip for 2 is about the cost of a car for the day.
The walk into and out of Sivota is OK, and as other have said easy to stock up on drinks cheaper than the hotel. We tried a couple of restaurants and by far the best (and acclaimed by Neilson staff, so maybe they get a discount!) is the hotel before the harbour, excellent quality and a good price, much better than the one's directly on the harbour. I couldn't find it on here, so couldn't write a review or remind myself of the name!
- Also Known As:
- The Retreat Hotel Syvota
- Retreat Hotel Sivota
- Neilson Retreat Beachclub Greece/Syvota