“Great for Sports and Grandad's”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syvota
Neilson Retreat Beachclub
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Syvota
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Not the best room in the hotel view wise, but this to be expected as a single traveller. Staff were amazing particular praise for Liz the Photographer, she helped me get to grips with my camera settings etc. Came with my Grandchildren who are staying on for a further week. They are having a wonderful time. I have also had a great holiday.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have done a couple of neilsons when I was younger, but back then I was a little more interested in lounging around all day and drinking all night!, Going back at the age of 28 with my boyfriend, parents and some family friends, I have to say I had one of the best holiday ever. Much better than anticipated. Sivota was the nicest of all the neilson resorts I have been to and I didn't even mind all the steps!! The resort is stunning and it seems to be divided up into lots of different little areas which is nice. With different little beaches and pontoons to explore and laze around on. Not that much lazing around was to be done!

The food was beautiful, far too easy to over indulge and get very fat. Every day I would convince my self I would have just one plate, but there was so much choice and too many things that looked delicious, I would always have two or three.

The staff and activities make the holiday, they are all so friendly and encourage you to get involved in every thing and help you even when you are a complete beginner. The instructors are more than willing to explain in detail what you should be doing and the different techniques whilst making all the classes fun.

Georgie and Tim the fitness instructors run a wide range of classes, from boxing to swim and stretch, circuits, ballet and yoga and all are great fun. The Tennis coaches Adam, scott and Brin are lovely and along side running their coaching sessions, have a booze and balls session on a Thursday evening which is just crazy drinking games with a can in one hand and a racket in the other. The water ski / wake board team are great at coaching you whilst your trying not to crash and burn being dragged about on the back off the boat and keep everyone entertained by doing Zumba routines out in the pontoon. Callum's Kayaking adventures with his dog mythos are also worth getting along to, he is very knowledgeable and passionate about what he does and knows great littles places and beaches to take you to. Make sure you get out on a bike ride too and see the beautiful coast line of Sivota!

The yacht team are awesome, we booked the sun pest cruise with joe and rob and had a lovely time with canapés and champagne, we even took the yacht in a huge cave and go the chance to steer the boat. Get down to the entertainment in the bar with jack at the live lounge and laugh at all the beat the manager challenges. Join in the volley ball competition and with peter and the bar team there providing the refreshments a great time is good time is to be had by all, although it can get quite competitive so make sure you go down to support the guests!!,

The rooms were lovely and the beds comfy. The tv in the mirror was a quirky little touch and the bathrooms nice and clean. Our bedroom was close to the tortoises at reception, they adore a must see, just make sure you sneak them some cucumber or apple from lunch as they like to be fed!!, :)

Finally management, especially the info centre girls and Carl the guest services manager were more than pleased to help answer any questions and even ordered the whole hotel a dressing up stool after I pointed out that after the make over I didn't have one in my room!! I was quite shocked when a truck loads of stools turned up outside the hotel!! But you can not ask for better service than that!! I just wish I was back there!!

A few tips : Make sure you take trainers, water shoes and a jacket for going out on the boats as it can get a little windy, gloves if you plan to water ski / wake board and we went in May so a cardigan was good for nighttime. I stupidly took heels. You may break your ankle with all the steps. So girlies I wouldn't bother!!! Get the gladiator sandals out instead!!!

Thanks for a brilliant time every one at neilson - hopefully I will see you all soon!!, :) Nicole x

Room Tip: The new garden rooms look amazing!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Nicole2424
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our second holiday at the retreat and we had a lovely time. The activities are great, the staff fantastic and the setting is beautiful.

However Neilson needs to tighten up on the tennis coaching - last week they allowed a group of 12 deluded tennis "ladies" travelling together to join the top tennis group. They ruined it for the rest of us who wanted a good competitive game as they were pretty rubbish. This was obvious from day 1 and I and several other guests mentioned it to the coaches who did nothing. They allowed the tennis classes to be hijacked and spoiled by these women.

We went on the sunset cruise and it was really fantastic - but I don't think its acceptable to boast about being environmentally friendly then chuck plastic champagne corks into the sea!!

The buffet food is of a good standard and the service at mealtimes very good. I would avoid the bistro on the non inclusive nights - it wasn't great and very expensive.

We did the wine tasting which was also excellent.

Accommodation is spotlessly clean and had a lovely view over the bay. The beds are rather hard.

Sivota itself is lovely - lovely coffee shops and a decent selection of restaurants.

This time we felt that the evening entertainment was a bit tacky and getting dangerously close to the club 18-30 philosophy. However they do do a cocktail of the day which is nice and the bar staff could not be more helpful.

Overall it was a great holiday and we are likely to return.

3  Thank forkie_10
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Loved every moment of the holiday here. Never a dull moment but total choice about what activities to try or not. Loved the cycling, sailing and canoeing and even tried some Zumba! Great staff who are so welcoming and supportive. The food was delicious and plentiful. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Like nearly all of the reviews, I cannot believe how lucky we were to 'happen' upon this wonderful Neilson run oasis. In fact it's the jewel in the Neilson crown (I believe). It couples the option for huge breadth of activities, along with wonderful relaxation, stunning food and a top class team of reps. Kids club nannies were second to none, so much so my daughter aged 7, wept buckets when she said goodbye to her beloved Izzy, who was running the Surf Busters last week, while we were guests. Another thing for me which I (and husband) loved was how friendly everyone was and how much they supported and encouraged us to 'have a go'. Ok there was a bunch of rather rude 'tennis' ladies but they were together and stayed so in their own little world of middle-class ego (ha ha). The little water taxi which ran on the 3 none inclusive nights was such fun and the little town itself had numerous eateries. Our favourite was on the very right of the harbourside (sea not shore right) with reddish awnings. Fabulous family Greek food, charming company and spoilt our daughter rotten. When I find the card with the name of the restaurant I will add this, as they deserve to be full every night! Yes, there are lots of steps at the resort and yes sometimes our legs ached and our knees cracked, but we had been warned and the steps were a good workout in their own right. Best holiday ever.

Room Tip: All super but hotel rooms probably noisier. Rooms aren't the biggest I've ever seen but imm...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Gillywombat09
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We are just returned from a one week Northern Ionian flotilla out of Neilson's Syvota base in Greece. We especially thank our very professional and dedicated lead crew comprising our skipper Mick, supported by Fin dealing with all the social aspects, Joe our resourceful engineer and Will who was being oriented to the region pending skippering his own flotilla party the following week. All our crew worked diligently every day from morning till late to keep us safe and happy. In particular (and in contrast to another flotilla experience with a competitor company) our skipper was encouraging and positive and pleasant at all times even when sailing skills fell slightly short. Will patiently helped us sort out some genoa furling technique issues ...successfully. We had a Dufour 34 which we find ideal for two. Corfu, Gaios and Parga were our favourite stop off locations as we prefer the buzzy busy locations. Sadly the wind was very disappointing (we started our week on 18 May) which meant a lot more motoring than desirable, but that's the luck of the draw. We are looking to push on our sailing in more adventurous and challenging waters but Neilson remains firm favourite for flots. So, many thanks Kachia lead boat crew from Elizabeth and Terence, Cambridge, UK.

3  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was our second visit to this Neilson resort. The setting is beautiful with great views over to Paxos and Corfu. We stayed in the just built superior garden rooms. These were very spacious and smart with a nice balcony to enjoy the fantastic views. They could do with some draws for clothes storage as well as the large hanging space.
The bathroom was large with bath and over bath shower. The only problem was that the light under the sink unit could not be turned off and with the glass door it may affect people who like complete darkness to sleep. Rooms were serviced daily although the tea bags were not replenished and we had to acquire our own from the restaurant.
The road cycling was great with some challenging climbs to nearby villages and great views. With some pretty islands and caves about the kayak trips were great fun.
As others have said there is always a climb at this resort with lots of steps from the beach to your room, this all helps with fitness over the week. There is a walk through shallow water to the sand spit where the dinghys are kept and to the sunbathing beach. Water shoes do help as the stones can be quite sharp.
The staff were excellent very keen and helpful.
For drinks at the bar and restaurant they put it all on a room bill which is settled at the end of the week. I would advise that you keep a record of what you buy as we had extra bottles of water added on and was difficult to prove and check as the invoice did not list individual items but just location of purchase.
We did enjoy the sunset champagne cruise even though the wins was not enough to do any sailing. I was horrified to see the mate on the boat fire the corks from the champagne into the sea. This would have been ok if they were made of cork but these were plastic and potential hazard to fish or just part of the general pollution that washes up on beaches.
It's nice to have the one inclusive nights as it's great to try some of the local restaurants, in Syvota most give a free desert and in Parga free ouzo is the custom.
Generally fantastic holiday for those keen on activities, sailing is not the best as winds tend to be quite light, better for kayaking and cycling.

1  Thank Tog14
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syvota
Domotel Agios Nikolaos
#3 of 8 in Igoumenitsa
Parga Beach Resort
Parga Beach Resort
#8 of 34 in Parga

Been to Neilson Retreat Beachclub? Share your experiences!