“What a fantastic place!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Syvota
Neilson Retreat Beachclub
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Syvota
GreenLeadersGold level
Loxwood, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic place!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

One of our best holidays ever. There was really was something for everyone.
The food was great, the hotel was spotlessly clean and the facilities were great.
The best thing about the hotel however, is the staff. Without exception they are fantastic and simply make the place.
Our first Neilson holiday, but most definately not our last. Pretty much everything was just wonderful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Greek first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed for May half term week.
Arrival was well explained by the Rep on coach. We had a Garden Room so bags were delivered for us and we went straight to the inclusive drinks and dinner. The buffet food had lots of variety all week and everything was well cooked and the waiting staff worked tirelessly to serve drinks and tidy up plates.
Early morning cycling was a good idea. A selection of road rides and mountain biking routes are available. The K Loop 35km road ride included some long-ish climbs but doable for a 50 year old occasional cyclist. The Ladder & Snake off-road was harder but the ride down was worth it through some rocky terrain.
Tennis was good fun and divides into green&blue (beginner-played before) and the higher standard red and black groups. This "piste-style" colour scheme is used to grade other activities as well.
It is a perfect spot for water-skiing with calm waters most days, two boats, lots of choices and good teachers. It is ok as well for beginner windsurfers although the lack of wind spoilt a couple of days so I didn't get my certificate done.
Evening entertainment on certain nights was good fun and really put the "camp" into Neilsons.
One negative about our room was that it took literally 10 minutes of running the shower in the morning before it started to warm up, that isn't good enough.
Didn't go on the organised trips to Parga and Paxos, preferring the walk and ferry to and from town. It's easily walkable but ferry back is fun. There is a general lack of good easy walks but you have to be fit to stay here really.
A special thanks to the on site physio who fixed a long-standing back and knee problem. Best 55 Euros spent!

Room Tip: Garden room very peaceful, but lack of hot water needs fixing
1 Thank Andrew S
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Spoiled for choice in every sense..food ,activities, scenery, ambience...all absolutely fine, no complaints. In resort for two weeks and never tired of anything. For all the frenetic activity in these beach clubs, they still remain very relaxing places for a holiday. The hotel is spotlessly clean, rooms are cleaned daily, fresh towels and linen seem to appear every other day. Beach towels are also provided for free. Staff go out of their way to ensure that guests have a great experience, nothing too much trouble. Sivota is very pretty and seems to manage a fine balance between the needs of seasonal visitors and that of residents. Nice upmarket feel without being posh. Lots of hills to go up and down; great for the calf muscles!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank j0hnb0y10
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Retreat is a stunning hotel with a perfect setting. We stayed here last September for the first week of our Stay & Sail Holiday. First point to note is that the staff really made the holiday stand out, overall, their service and attention to detail was impeccable. During the first week, we spent 5 days training on one of the training Yachts, though we still had plenty of opportunity to take part in loads of activities around the Beachclub as our skipper allowed a little flexibility on start times to allow for us to make the most of our stay. The food in the hotel was really good, with a nice mix across the week which was always different. BBQ night was also good, though probably not quite worth the expense. Spa was fantastic, and activities seemed endless. Mix this with the steps in resort and you'll need another holiday when you get home! Only let downs the holiday were the shocking maintenance or lack of on our training boat and the poor lead crew (2 of the 3 at least), on Flotilla in week 2, which several of the guests complained about.

We stayed in a ground floor room not too far from the bar, and though you could hear the entertainment, it was never really loud enough to be an issue. I'd say that if you did want complete peace though, try a garden room.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor room not too far from the bar, and though you could hear the entertainme...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Loxwood
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Not the best room in the hotel view wise, but this to be expected as a single traveller. Staff were amazing particular praise for Liz the Photographer, she helped me get to grips with my camera settings etc. Came with my Grandchildren who are staying on for a further week. They are having a wonderful time. I have also had a great holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have done a couple of neilsons when I was younger, but back then I was a little more interested in lounging around all day and drinking all night!, Going back at the age of 28 with my boyfriend, parents and some family friends, I have to say I had one of the best holiday ever. Much better than anticipated. Sivota was the nicest of all the neilson resorts I have been to and I didn't even mind all the steps!! The resort is stunning and it seems to be divided up into lots of different little areas which is nice. With different little beaches and pontoons to explore and laze around on. Not that much lazing around was to be done!

The food was beautiful, far too easy to over indulge and get very fat. Every day I would convince my self I would have just one plate, but there was so much choice and too many things that looked delicious, I would always have two or three.

The staff and activities make the holiday, they are all so friendly and encourage you to get involved in every thing and help you even when you are a complete beginner. The instructors are more than willing to explain in detail what you should be doing and the different techniques whilst making all the classes fun.

Georgie and Tim the fitness instructors run a wide range of classes, from boxing to swim and stretch, circuits, ballet and yoga and all are great fun. The Tennis coaches Adam, scott and Brin are lovely and along side running their coaching sessions, have a booze and balls session on a Thursday evening which is just crazy drinking games with a can in one hand and a racket in the other. The water ski / wake board team are great at coaching you whilst your trying not to crash and burn being dragged about on the back off the boat and keep everyone entertained by doing Zumba routines out in the pontoon. Callum's Kayaking adventures with his dog mythos are also worth getting along to, he is very knowledgeable and passionate about what he does and knows great littles places and beaches to take you to. Make sure you get out on a bike ride too and see the beautiful coast line of Sivota!

The yacht team are awesome, we booked the sun pest cruise with joe and rob and had a lovely time with canapés and champagne, we even took the yacht in a huge cave and go the chance to steer the boat. Get down to the entertainment in the bar with jack at the live lounge and laugh at all the beat the manager challenges. Join in the volley ball competition and with peter and the bar team there providing the refreshments a great time is good time is to be had by all, although it can get quite competitive so make sure you go down to support the guests!!,

The rooms were lovely and the beds comfy. The tv in the mirror was a quirky little touch and the bathrooms nice and clean. Our bedroom was close to the tortoises at reception, they adore a must see, just make sure you sneak them some cucumber or apple from lunch as they like to be fed!!, :)

Finally management, especially the info centre girls and Carl the guest services manager were more than pleased to help answer any questions and even ordered the whole hotel a dressing up stool after I pointed out that after the make over I didn't have one in my room!! I was quite shocked when a truck loads of stools turned up outside the hotel!! But you can not ask for better service than that!! I just wish I was back there!!

A few tips : Make sure you take trainers, water shoes and a jacket for going out on the boats as it can get a little windy, gloves if you plan to water ski / wake board and we went in May so a cardigan was good for nighttime. I stupidly took heels. You may break your ankle with all the steps. So girlies I wouldn't bother!!! Get the gladiator sandals out instead!!!

Thanks for a brilliant time every one at neilson - hopefully I will see you all soon!!, :) Nicole x

Room Tip: The new garden rooms look amazing!!
3 Thank Nicole2424
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our second holiday at the retreat and we had a lovely time. The activities are great, the staff fantastic and the setting is beautiful.

However Neilson needs to tighten up on the tennis coaching - last week they allowed a group of 12 deluded tennis "ladies" travelling together to join the top tennis group. They ruined it for the rest of us who wanted a good competitive game as they were pretty rubbish. This was obvious from day 1 and I and several other guests mentioned it to the coaches who did nothing. They allowed the tennis classes to be hijacked and spoiled by these women.

We went on the sunset cruise and it was really fantastic - but I don't think its acceptable to boast about being environmentally friendly then chuck plastic champagne corks into the sea!!

The buffet food is of a good standard and the service at mealtimes very good. I would avoid the bistro on the non inclusive nights - it wasn't great and very expensive.

We did the wine tasting which was also excellent.

Accommodation is spotlessly clean and had a lovely view over the bay. The beds are rather hard.

Sivota itself is lovely - lovely coffee shops and a decent selection of restaurants.

This time we felt that the evening entertainment was a bit tacky and getting dangerously close to the club 18-30 philosophy. However they do do a cocktail of the day which is nice and the bar staff could not be more helpful.

Overall it was a great holiday and we are likely to return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple