“Slow service, decent food.”
Review of Matstofan

Matstofan
Ranked #11 of 17 Restaurants in Borgarnes
Cuisines: Philippine
Stratford, Canada
“Slow service, decent food.”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

After travelling Iceland for two weeks, eating mostly fish and chips, I was ready for some authentic Asian food and when I saw this filipino restaurant in Borgarnes (of all places), I had to go there. This place did not disappoint. The yellow chicken curry I ordered was quite tasty and authentic, and they understood what I meant by 'spicy' because my curry came with a lot of red hot chilli peppers in it! Service was slow because it looked like the whole place was run only by one woman who did all the cooking and the serving. She was a lovely filipina lady and we had a nice chat once she got around to serving us. It wasn't a fancy place but the food was not super expensive either. If you find yourself in Borgarnes with a hankering for authentic Asian food, do give Matstofan a try!

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Friendly staff and nice food”
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

We had two hamburgers with french fries and they were very nice.
The owner is very friendly and the price is fair.
It s open untill midnight and that s not common in Iceland

• Visited August 2013
“Bad service”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We came in the restaurant, sat down, and after 15 minutes, we decided to take the menucard ourselves since there was nobody to serve us. No apology from the staff. The beerglasses were dirty so we drank from the bottle. It took another 15 minutes to bring us the water we ordered. Sauces in very used cans. Food was average but i found a hair in it. I saw the waitress scratch her hair while helping in the kitchen. The smell of frying oil was in the whole restaurant. On the good side, the food was not expensive.

I wouldn't recommend this place. Better spend a little more to have a nice and relaxing evening with the service you deserve while being om holiday.

• Visited August 2013
Auckland, New Zealand
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Owner was friendly but food was very poor. Sweet and sour pork was swamped in a bright red sweet sauce and the chicken curry we expected a tasty genuine Filipino flavour and it was a big nothing, quite tasteless but strangely bight yellow. Even the spring rolls were just very average.
The beer was good! The other staff member spoke zero English and shuffled out with the food in socks and shorts. No atmosphere, and big TV going.

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice little restaurant”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

As the other reviewer said, there's not much on offer in Borgarnes off-season. I was there in March and this seemed to be the only place open. The owner is very friendly, and the menu is similar to Chinese food. I had a massive plate of prawns in white sauce which was tasty (once I'd added chilli sauce) and not too expensive.

Visited March 2012