“Once you stay here, you will become a repeat guest.”

The Rippon-Kinsella House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Springfield
Ranked #2 of 4 Springfield B&B and Inns
Addison, Illinois
“Once you stay here, you will become a repeat guest.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I have known the proprietors of Rippon-Kinsella since they owned the Henry Mischler House and have come back several times to stay with them. That should tell you a lot right there!

Of all the B&B's I have ever stayed at, Roger and David put the most effort into making everyone feel welcome. Roger cooks a terrific breakfast; not too heavy but just right to get your day started.

The home itself has a lovely decor. It has historical pieces mixed with just a dash of eclectic flair. It adds a touch of whimsy to keep the house from feeling like a museum. Everything is kept absolutely spotless and is incredibly well maintained. The yard is a work in progress but it is very well kept.

The location is excellent. It's within walking distance from the Lincoln Tomb and Oak Ridge Cemetery. You could walk to downtown if the weather is co-operating with your plans that day.

I would call them just as you are getting into town so they can be ready. It's only polite to do so anyways.

I have returned several times over to stay here and if you stay, I know you will too.

Room Tip: The home is not handicapped accessible as it was built in the 1870's. If you have mobility issue...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our stay at the Rippon Kinsella B&B was the icing on the cake for a wonderful weekend getaway in Springfield IL. The B&B itself was beautifully decorated and cared for by its owner the historical mementos as well as the personal touch in décor added a sense of home to the atmosphere that is often lost in more commercial establishments. Upon arrival, we were given a tour of the house and shown to our Captains Quarters. The Captains Quarters has a nautical theme décor, fireplace and lounge area as well as a large private bathroom. The room overlooks the front of the property. Breakfast was exceptional and made from scratch giving us that home feel accompanied by great conversation with Roger and Dave and the other Inn guests. The Rippon Kinsella’s proximity to the Lincoln Memorial as well as other historical areas allows one to enjoy a walk down history. We could not have been more pleased with our visit and would recommend this B&B to anyone. Roger and Dave are outstanding. They were accommodating, kind, knowledgeable, and a pleasure to be around. We wholeheartedly give them our highest recommendation!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Judith C
Batavia, Illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was our first B & B experience and we were not disappointed or wanting in any request. We enjoyed Roger and Dave's company. The Captains quarters were comfortable and full of interest, as was the rest of the house. The furnishings were not lacking in history and stories. Roger's cooking was superb with memorable pineapple muffins from scratch. All in all, we felt at ease as we wandered about. As owners of a 100 + yr old house ourselves, we understand that there is always something needing an upgrade or some work in progress, hence the temporary scenario in the backyard which will become a series of interesting gardens and patios. An alarming sight to the uninitiated but to those who have vision, a paradise unfolding that you'd like to engage in. This is not a slick and sterile hotel. You will feel at home and want to stay longer.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kim M
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Nice and clean, with decorations on just about every surface. The innkeepers were very friendly and talkative, going out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. Be sure to go up to the front door (facing the street) when you arrive - we knocked on the back door first, but no one heard.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We just returned this afternoon from spending the night in this beautiful Victorian house. We just live approx. 40 miles away, but my husband surprised me for a Valentine's evening away. When we arrived, Roger showed us our room and then brought cheese, crackers, homemade cookies and wine to us. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters. Loved the fireplace in the room and all the nautical themed decor. There are clear instructions in the bathroom to let the shower water run until it gets warm to start your shower - followed the directions and no problems at all. We enjoyed dinner at the Chesapeake House - one of our favorites. We were the only guests that night and the room was great - overlooked the street - very quiet - slept wonderfully. We chose 9am for our breakfast time - we did enjoy some fresh coffee when we first got up for the day. Breakfast was wonderful - Rogers cooking combined with the presentation of the food was a great way to start our day! My husband likes to snowshoe and walked to the Lincoln Tomb from here. It is close to downtown and lots of wonderful dining places and Lincoln sites. I would recommend this to anyone spending some time in Springfield!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rikkirn2
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have never written a negative review before but I must this time. The Rippon-Kinsella House looks nice on the outside, but the random flea market pictures that covered the walls of our room made for a bizarre interior. That I could tolerate, but the shower had so little water pressure it was hard to rinse soap off and impossible to wash hair. One of the innkeepers tried to fix it, but when he couldn't he insisted nothing was wrong with it. When I disagreed he had a temper tantrum -throwing down a towel, stomping out of the room and slamming the door HARD. Which left us feeling very uncomfortable, even unsafe. Old victorian houses can change from charming to creepy quickly after a display like that!!

Even tho all 6 guests were attending the same conference in the morning which started at 8:30, the innkeepers would not serve breakfast before 8 so none of us got a hot breakfast. My friend and I got fruit, some stale pound cake and 2 small bottles of water in a used paper bag.

Over the years I have probably stayed at 75 B&Bs and although some are quirky, the innkeepers care and try hard to assure their guests have a pleasant stay. The innkeepers at the Rippon- Kinsella House did not even try to be hospitable! One of them didn't even attempt disguise his hostility. They need to find another line of work. They are way beyond innkeeper burnout!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bonnie B
bandboperator, Owner at The Rippon-Kinsella House, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Wow, I really don't know where to begin with this one. Maybe I am burned out. But then I thought, no....I love the B&B business, talking with guests over breakfast or wine in the evening. I remember having a very bad day and then the phone ringing about 9:30 at night. We have operated the inn since 2007 and no one has ever complained about the water pressure in a shower. It's an 1871 building with plumbing that probably should be replaced as time and money allow, but it has always been adequate. I thought it might be clogged so I removed the shower head and tried to clean it out. As I recall the guest was quite demanding and was refusing to pay for the second night they had reserved. There was a religious convention in town that the guests were attending and we had turned away numerous requests for the room. Yes, I probably could have handled the situation better, but it was late at night, I was tired and what did she want me to do? I remember getting soaking wet and just dropping the towel, saying I was sorry but there wasn't anything I could do, but I didn't storm out of the room and slam the door. This is simply not true.

Also, she is wrong about not us not wanting to serve breakfast before 8:00 a.m. We said that if they wanted to leave real early at 6:00 a.m. we would give them some coffee and something to go, but we would have served them breakfast at 7 a.m. So now she insults us about the cake and coffee to go. This is obviously one of those kind of people who will never be pleased no matter what. It's true, experiences like this do make you want to get out of the business, but the other 99 out 100 guests make it worthwhile. I am sorry that this happened. Please read the other reviews about us before you make a decision.

Dave Ridenour
Co-Owner
Houston, TX
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the RIppon-Kinsella House. It is a large, restored Victorian house with a lot of character. The location is excellent, just over a mile north of the downtown attractions, in a quiet residential neighborhood. Roger is a warm, friendly host and a gourmet cook. Roger cooks up some of the best B&B breakfast food we have experienced, complete with the presentation you would expect in a fancy restaurant. He even gave us a few cookies for the road when we left!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple