“Great location, friendly staff”

Carpenter Street Hotel
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Lemont, Illinois
“Great location, friendly staff”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Budget friendly hotel close to everything we wanted to see in historic Springfield. Staff very accommodating, room was clean. Hot buffet breakfast was great as well. Lincoln package included museum tickets

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Lancaster, Ohio
Reviewed 16 July 2014

One night stay, with no problem with making the reservation. Check-in was easy, prompt and problem free. Staff were friendly, efficient and helpful. Location was beyond belief, in the center of Springfield's Lincoln history section, easily within walking distance to most of the museums and presidential library, and only a few blocks drive to the Lincoln Tomb. First time in Springfield, IL and what a great way to spend a day and night. Hotel provided FREE transportation, at OUR convenience, on-call, to restaurants and other sites Not many places offer that kind of service anymore! We recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Springfield, IL.

Crete, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was looking for a budget friendly hotel, with free internet, parking, and breakfast within walking distance of the downtown area - this hotel did hit on all those marks. The complimentary shuttle was a bonus and something other hotels do not offer. The room was spacious and clean with a fridge and microwave (you need to ask for this bonus). I have a mixed review on breakfast... if you come down later, the options are minimal... if you have the pleasure of having a large-sized family standing in the middle being indecisive, you cannot access anything.

Yes there is a 'soup kitchen' towards the back of the building, however I did not encounter any issues and was never bothered by anyone.

The pillows were incredibly uncomfortable! Luckily I had my travel neck pillow in the car and was able to use that.

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge and microwave (if you will need it during your stay) as all rooms do not have them.
Murphysboro, Illinois
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a hotel that was within walking distance of downtown. I chose this hotel because of location plus free parking and free breakfast.

When we arrived I was told there was only one way to enter the hotel and to not prop the backdoor because the homeless in the area would come in. I asked a couple of questions regarding the area and the front desk person was unable to answer any of my questions.

When we entered the our room I was suprised by the cleanliness. ...at first. Upon further inspection I found a dead bug intertwined in a couple long black hairs on the bathroom floor, a brown smudge of some sort on the shower curtain and a big red stain on the carpet. The beds, however, were clean and I had to remember the price I paid. This WAS one of the cheaper places to stay.

After an evening of site seeing we returned to our room for the night. I had noticed earlier that there were only 4 pillows on the beds, 2 on each. We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 2 teens and 1 toddler). I stopped at the front desk to ask for another pillow and I was told there were no more. I explained we didn't have enough for everyone and the man told me he would see what he could do. I never heard from him again. Needless to say, this mother got no sleep after sharing a pillow with a toddler.

Unfortunately we did not get to eat the free breakfast. After a horrible night's sleep, we were unable to get up and around before the 9 am shutdown.

I will not reccomend this place to others. In the future, .I will pay a little extra and forego the free parking and breakfast in turn for friendly helpful staff and a good night's sleep.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer B
Forsyth, Missouri
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We happened upon this hotel by reading reviews. It was everything nice that was said about it. Close to all downtown attractions, clean, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, quiet and an ok breakfast. The front desk was always very friendly and accommodating. What more can be said?
We highly recommend it!

1 Thank billbarb1234
Rebecca S, General Manager at Carpenter Street Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel! We appreciate the wonderful comments about our hotel. Please visit us again soon! We would welcome you back anytime you want to to stay in Springfield, IL.
Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2014

They do give a discounted rate if you have someone in St. John's Hospital which is very nice! I am sorry to say the room was not clean. Went to plug in my charger and found two food wrappers behind nightstand. That tells me they do not do a thorough cleaning job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us! We do appreciate your feedback. Please accept our apology for the cleanliness of the room. We consistently strive for the utmost care of our guests and rooms. We hope to see you in Springfield again soon.
Zion
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Very convenient location if you are coming to Springfield and the Lincoln attractions are your focus. Very close to Museum, Lincoln Library, Lincoln and Herndon Law Office, Lincoln Home. Lincoln Memorial not far away. Old State Capital building is a real pleasure too. Check-in was super easy and quick. I had reservations for two rooms (friends were traveling with us) and the rooms were $83 a piece!! Front desk personnel very helpful. Room was very clean and had two very comfortable Queen beds, flat panel TV, cable, free Wi-Fi. Nice size bathroom with good shower. Breakfast was free and offered something for everyone.Two things would have made this a 5 rating...housekeeping staff only replaced one bath towel and I had to dry with hand towels and wished there would have been an ironing board and iron in the room.

Room Tip: Don't know that there is bad room, location-wise. Hotel was quiet at all times of day. There wer...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Rebecca S, General Manager at Carpenter Street Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to fill out the review. We are very excited and thankful that you stayed with us. We're glad that you took advantage of all the Lincoln sites and hope that we will see you again soon.