“First time staying at a Candlewood, will not be my last”

Candlewood Suites Springfield
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Ok, as some of you may know, I am a hotel snob. Also a restaurant and donut snob but that's another story. I was leery of staying at a Candlewood, simply because I never had before, and I really didn't know Springfield very well. Well, the fact that it was the least expensive option and rated so highly on Tripadvisor made me decide to try it. I am so glad I did! It was newer, clean, quiet, and roomy. Nicer work out area than most you find in this chain of hotels. I told my daughter, this type of hotel would have been wonderful when we were traveling with her softball team. The kitchenette was bigger than some apartment kitchens! Plus the guest laundry would have been wonderful to wash uniforms! Plus, they give you coupons for free soda. Some would say it's not much, but sometimes the little things count. The staff was wonderful, very friendly but not intrusive. Seriously, it is because of this experience that I will now start my hotel searches with Candlewood. Great job, folks!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor. Very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We strive to meet or exceed our guests needs and are very pleased to read your comments. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 8 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is relatively new so everything was clean, fresh and inviting. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Beds were very comfortable and the full kitchen was clean and well stocked with dishes, etc. I will definitely check future travel destinations for Candlewood Suites.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Libby1121
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of your recent stay at Candlewood Suites. It is always a pleasure to read comments from a satisfied guest, as our goal is to make sure our guests leave happy. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

Earned a free night to a priority club hotel so we picked a location within a few hours of home so that we could take our son to see the historical sights of Abraham Lincoln in Springfield, IL. This location was rated the highest of all the priority club locations so we went with it. Hmmm...the room wasn't bad, it's not the worse that we stayed in. However, I'm not sure when the last time this room was cleaned. I always enter a hotel room and wipe down every surface that I can think of with clorox wipes. Door handles, light switches, remote controls, phones etc. so as I do this, I can tell if the room has been cleaned because I get to notice all the dust on fixtures and such. Today, in our room I found food crumbs on the dishwasher door ledge as well as the kitchen countertop. The top of the fridgerator has at least 1/2 inch of dust on it and the tv and dvd player and dresser that they sit on are covered in dust. Now I can live with dust for one night, however, the thing that I found most disgusting as I was going through the room was the black hair I found in the sink, in the tub on the toliet and on the bed sheets! That is disgusting. I made the mistake of not looking for a hotel with a pool. Upon arrival, my husband asked if there was a pool and he was told no. No further comments. However, as I was reading over the property's dry erase board announcements it stated that we could get a free pass to FitClub, so we asked about it. Proper customer service would have been to tell us and offer that to us the moment my husband asked if there was a pool. In addition, this property does not offer any continental breakfast that most priority club locations offer. I did not rate this place as poor because if it were cleaned properly with the lack of black hair everywhere, it would be a really nice hotel room.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ainchsmom3x
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Dear ainchsmom3x,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property and being a Priority Club Rewards Member. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry that on this visit you were inconvenienced by the condition of the room that you were given. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Regards,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 April 2013

The property was well kept up. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was nice to have a kitchen and they gave us a good price for an extended stay. We always carry a box fan with us so we don't ever hear any noises. More people should do this if they stay in hotels and are driving. It is a real help. The room was nice and had plenty of room.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
gmcandlewood, Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a reveiw on your recent stay with us. Your comments will be passed along to our team and are greatly appreciated. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you again.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Had a great two nights here. The staff I dealt with were very friendly and flexible. The rooms were very clean, seemed quiet. Realize that there is no breakfast here, but their website makes that clear. They do have a small snack bar area that is self-serve and quite reasonably priced (like the same or cheaper than what you'd pay at a gas station). The room we had was a little odd in that one bed was in a room and the sofa in another but the A/C was only in the main room and the only way to get cooler air into the bedroom was a small circular fan in the wall with only a speed control. It was somewhat noisy listening to it all night and if you kept the door closed the room was tough to keep cool. Also, both rooms had flat screens, but the one in the bedroom was only standard def channels while the one in the main room had some HD channels. That made no sense. They did have a reasonable selection of free to borrow DVDs and a player in the room and that was a nice touch. All in all, quite happy with the hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tbobpage
gmcandlewood, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We are currently working on getting more HD channels installed on all our televisions, so hopefully by your next stay we will have them for your enjoyment. Our team is happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 22 March 2013

Glad we chose to return to Candlewood while we were in town for a conference. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. The kitchen area is a real bonus. We brought along a lot of our own food and really saved time and money for breakfast and lunch. The workout room is well-equipped and we had no problems with anything. Staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was on the first floor and there were no noise issues. We'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank DickandJane6986

Our Candlewood Team is very happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Guest satisfaction is our #1 goal. We appreciate you taking the time to write this positive review and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you again!

Reviewed 4 March 2013

The room was spacious and bed very comfortable. The kitchen was a huge plus for my extended stay. I was very pleased to have found such a well run hotel so far from my home. The management and staff treated me like family. Even though I was homesick, I was a little sad in having to leave. I will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Keith R

It is always a pleasure to read such a nice review that you so kindly took the time to write about Candlewood Suites in Springfield, Illinois. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit. Thank you again.