“A beautiful capital”

Illinois State Capitol
Ranked #5 of 64 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Historic Greek Revival building that serves as Illinois' State Capitol and was the site of many cases tried by Abraham Lincoln.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have seen quite a few state capitals, and this is one of the most beautiful. It is patterned after our national capital, and is really beautiful.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

This was my second visit to this Capitol. We ate breakfast in the cafeteria for a very reasonable price. I was the only person on the guided tour so I got the personal touch. The building has undergone extensive renovations since I last visited ten years ago. Parking was not bad since the Legislature was not in session. Definitely worth the time to visit. Free.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Had no idea that the Capitol was so beautiful. The whole family enjoyed the tour and it was enhanced by there being a protest there.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I was surprised to see how lavish the inside of the State Capitol building was. It beat any cathedral or castle I've seen in Europe. There were lots of gold leaf painted ceilings, copper sculptures, marble floors and Austrian Crystal chandeliers. I thought it was ironic given how long the state must drag out their receivables to vendors and the general financial state of Illinois. The tour guides seemed to vary. Ours showed us four rooms and the governor portraits, and that was it. Others, we noticed, were taking more time explaining the fine details of the building. It was very much worth seeing, though probably would have been better during the 6 months the congress is in session.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was in Springfield recently and made time to check out the Illionis State Capital. This is certainly a wonderful work of architecture with an art deco theme. It has some great art work and sculptures with great detail on the doors and elevators. A good visit for sure!

Been to Illinois State Capitol? Share your experiences!