“A Fair Zoo for Children”

Henson Robinson Zoo
Ranked #19 of 63 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: More than 300 animals from Africa, Asia, Australia, North and South America call this popular zoo home.
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Although there are not a great number of animals at the Henson-Robinson Zoo, it's still a fun place to take kids, and there is a petting zoo that they will enjoy.

There are newer reviews for Henson Robinson Zoo

Reviewed 28 July 2013

nice pace to visit..wasnt too crowded. had a fun time..would go back again...took many pics..my daughter loved it.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Henson Robinson is a small, small zoo. You can see everything in an hour. But it's a somewhat welcome break from larger zoos, where you spend all day and go into animal overload.

There is a fair variety of smaller primates and mammals here. Bobcats are neat to watch; the peacocks strut about the place; and the muntjac are adorable. Some exhibits are more modern and realistic than others (the Brown Headed Spider Monkeys have it made).

The zoo also offers machines where you can purchase food and feed the geese. Unfortunately, this has caused the birds to become very aggressive. We actually had to distract the geese in order to help another family escape their attentions. I very much hope they discontinue the feeders.

Still, the staff made our visit warm and friendly, and we enjoyed our little interlude in Springfield. We'd probably stop by again if we're in the area.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

My daughter was 18 mo old when we took her here. We have grown up around this area so both me and my husband are familiar with the zoo and have grown up coming to it often. So it was exciting to take our daughter here for the first time.
We went during the week and there was hardly anyone there. My daughter had fun walking around and seeing the monkeys... especially the baby monkey! She got a big kick out of him :)
They also have giant turtles there that are really cool and she enjoyed that as well.
While we were there we noticed they were doing alot of updating and probably getting new animals so I am excited to go back this year to see what they have added.
They do have black bears which are neat but pretty much the only big animal there.
My daughter fed the ducks which was fun to watch.
All in all great zoo and we will be going back year after year since it is very affordable and close by.

1  Thank Kimberly T
Reviewed 27 April 2013

One of my grandkids and I were looking for something to do one afternoon and we decided to visit the Henson Robinson Zoo. It was far from visiting the St. Louis Zoo but it was close, clean, and the animals are well cared for. There is also a nice playground near that finished off the pleasant afternoon. There is something to be said for a short, one-on-one encounter with small children sometimes instead of making it a long, drawn-out day. We are from Jacksonville so anything we do in St. Louis is 2 hours there and 2 hours home. This is close and just right for a morning or afternoon away. The zoo keepers were friendly and informative also.

1  Thank moodymolly

Been to Henson Robinson Zoo? Share your experiences!