“Good place to stay for the money.”

Homestyle Inn & Suites
Ranked #36 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 21 November 2009

The Homestyle Inn was initially hard to find due to the rain storm and the Inns outside lights were not on. Check in was easy, room was clean, everything was operational. Breakfast was good with variety of waffles, bagels, muffins, donuts and danish. Assorted cereals (hot or cold) with 2% milk, juice (apple or orange), coffee (regular or decaf), fruit (apples or oranges). The TV in the room worked and worked well with a good limited choice of cable channels. The bathroom was clean enough with enough towels and soap and shampoo. The face bowl outside of the toilet and shower room was clean with a drinking water filter. The room had adequate closet space for me and mine. The refrigerator and microwave worked wonderfully, so much so that we went to the "Shop and Save" to ensure a restful retreat with snacks. The cleaning staff was timely and very helpful every morning. I do recall the lack of a "Do Not Disturb" sign for the door. The parking lot had plenty of spaces with good security at the entry doors to the Inn. The front desk staff was helpful when they could be found. I WOULD stay again and I WOULD recommend this Inn for others despite the very brightly and cleanly kept place up the street. The only drawback was the trains and ambulance sirens that you could hear all night long and the typical thin walls.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 October 2009

We chose this hotel on the basis of its location and price, and we were not disappointed with either of those (and would have been even happier if we'd got the lower walk-in rate showing on the sign outside!). It's about a 10-minute walk south to the Capitol and about 15 minutes east to the Lincoln Library/Museum. The Lincoln House/complex and Old Capitol are a bit far, though, and we drove to those. There is plenty of free parking at the hotel.

Basically, the hotel itself was so-so /fine, ie acceptable, but nothing to get delirious about.. The room was quite large as was the bathroom but the general decor was rather tired - it looked like it needed a good refurbishment. Worst, the two lounge chairs provided were, frankly, filthy. We asked for them to be changed but were told this could not be done as ours was the only (Queen?) room that had them. Really?

The breakfast was basic - cereal, bread, waffles and coffee.

The hotel has a convenient location, and a reasonable price for that. But it needs a shot in the arm.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2009

Clean and Shabby
After driving through some seriously bad weather, I arrived late at Homestyle - about 9 pm. The desk clerk confirmed that I wanted a smoking room, and then gave me a room key card. He then told me that I was on the second floor in the back building. I had reservations for a month and I got stuck in a non-smoking room (although my smoking preferences were clear and reiterated) in the back at the top of the stairs. Not particularly charming. The view out of my streaked but not dirty window was of a parking lot. I could see the capitol building from the parking lot, though! It is within walking distance and although I didn't walk, I would have felt fairly comfortable doing so. The room was clean in a run down motel kind of way. I felt comfortable with the scratchy old towels - just like Mom used to wash in the wringer-washer when whites went through first - and then the towels got hung on the line. They were clean in a scratchy but not pretty kind of way. I really wanted a hot bath after my bad trip, but couldn't quite force myself to sit in the tub. That's okay. The drain stopper on the sink and tub were both non-functional. Housekeeping straightened up nicely seemingly without touching a thing I brought in with me. There is a room with a bath vanity just inside the door, a reasonably comfortable bed and a TV that works. There is no refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer. If you want a smoking room, bring your own ashtray. They'll pop you right into a room displaying a large "No Smoking" sign to please those of us who think we're never going to die. Given the price, I would stay there again briefly. Two nights were more than enough for me this time, though.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 March 2009

Normally I stay in the Abe Lincoln but they were booked. Homestyle Inn was clean and comfortable. It also had more amenities. Wireless internet is free (the Lincoln doesn't even have it) and the waffles for breakfast were excellent and convenient. The room has an extremely clean fridge and microwave which is great for 2-3 day trips. Plus, they went out of their way to help me. And, the walk to the Capitol was shorter! And it is much cheaper. When I come to Springfield to lobby legislators, this is where I am staying.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank CitizenGal
Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed 3 nights and had a pleasant visit. The staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel was quiet, the room was clean (except the carpet was tired and needed to be replaced) the free continental breakfast was exceptional (waffles, muffins, and much more!) and you certainly cannot beat the price. We would certainly stay here again if we once again toured Springfield.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank adoeme
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My wife and I planned a weekend getaway with our 9 yr old and 3 month old daughters. My 9 yr old is very interested in Abe Lincoln. We picked this location because of continental breakfast, pool, price, and location. When we arrived, the hotel looked as if it needed some attention and upkeep. The landscaping is overgrown and weeds are growing from cracks in the parking lot. Our reservation was wrong when we arrived - I asked for 2 dbl beds - the reservation we got was for 1 qn bed. The front desk worker corrected it and put us in a smoking room the housekeeper used to live in? We looked at the room prior to check-in, and found it to be bearable - definitely not the best accomodation. The lights needed new bulbs and we needed a working the remote control. The front desk worker stated she would bring these items to our room. While we were waiting for her to arrive, I noticed something under a chair in the corner of the room. Since the lighting was insufficient, I picked it up--IT WAS A USED CONDOM!!! When the worker arrived, I told her we are checking-out (after only being in the room for 30 minutes) and I demanded a full refund. The worker picked up the condom with tissues and threw the condom away. She told me to call her manager at the front desk and report the incident. I could not understand him because he is Indian. My wife and I packed our belongings and I went to the front desk for a refund. I was told my credit card would not be charged since end-of-day was not processed yet. We then checked into the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Hotel on Adams Street which was a thousand times better. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, and we paid only $10 more than the dump hotel. I called my credit card company the next day to discover a charge of $151.XX was charged to my account by Homestyle Inns and Suites. I am working with my credit card company to dispute the charge. If you are going to Springfield, IL, DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank LivVivsDad
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I stayed at the Homestyle Inn for 5 full days in March 2008. It was very nice. I'll have to admit, that after reading all the reviews here, I was very very nervous about staying here for such a long period of time. But it was nice.
The location was excellent, as it was walking distance from the place of business I had to work at, parking was excellent as I had a space right at my room window, reservations were done online, checking was prompt, management was very courteous and the room was on the 1st floor as I requested since there is no elevator.
The room was fine with me. They gave me a very large bathroom which was for the handicapped and very very spacious with a shower chair. I am not handicapped, but the space was great, good hot water, nice shower and heat lamps. The room has a microwave and refridgerator, both looked to be brand new. The heating / air conditioner worked great. Many stations on the cable TV with great reception. The bed was very comfortable.
The Homestyle Inn has a nice breakfast kiosk with a waffle maker, assorted cereals, 2% milk, bagels, breads, juice, fresh fruits, coffee (regular and decaf), condiments, bottled water, sweet rolls and danishes. This is all complimentary and available from 6am to 9am. Every morning, the coffee was promptly ready at 6am!
There is a computer in the lobby which provides 24 hour access to the Internet. They also have laundry facilities with a washer and dryer for $1.50 each.
The area was very quiet, I slept well every night as the bed was very comfortable.
There is also vending canteens on the first floor with snacks, beverages and ice.
The front desk was very responsive to my request. I requested early morning maid service and my room was prepared every single morning before noon as requested.
The rate was good especially in consideration of the free complimentary continental breakfast every morning.
I have a few criticism which are that the room had a smokey odor from the day I arrived until I checked out 5 days later. Maid-service should spray every day to resolve that. The decorum was not the best with the blue rug. There was a smoke detector dangling from the ceiling but the light was on, so I assumed it worked. There was a small digital bedside alarm clock, but since I am an avid radio listener, I took my Trivio Songbook clock radio. However, none of those small problems were significant.
I would like to inform reviewers that my stay there was during the 3rd week of March 2008. My review is current, non-biased and accurate. I am a very critical reviewer of hotels and my review here is based on truth.
Would I stay there again? Absolutely YES! I highly recommend Springfield's Homestyle Inn to travelers! Give them a chance. Apparently this hotel is under new management and they are indeed doing a good job.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Janet C