“It's free and probably best for children”

Illinois State Museum
Ranked #7 of 64 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Illinois State Museum focuses on the art, natural history, history and anthropology of the State of Illinois. Admission is $5 for adults ages 19-64. Children under 19, seniors over 64, veterans, and active duty military personnel are free.
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped in here after touring the nearby Capitol, since admission is free. We had been to the New York State Museum and found it interesting. We found this one much less so, and just did a quick walk through. It was the one activity that we felt we could have skipped, but families with children would probably find it more worthwhile.

2  Thank eatshoptravel
"kids and adults"
"on display"
"learn something"

Reviewed 6 June 2014

The museum has many different exhibits that were interesting. It was a nice bonus to our trip in Springfield. It is near the Lincoln sites and State Capitol.

1  Thank djbIllinois
Reviewed 29 May 2014

FREE admission! Hands on activities for kids! Refreshing to find museum section where kids can touch and do and make things, like grinding ear corn on grinding stones, etc. Wooly Mammoth, dinosaurs, cool bugs and beautiful butterflies, native taxidermied mammals, etc. We live south of Springfield and go here once a year. In fact, I have been coming here since the 1970s with school trips when I was a child! Gift shop has nice selection and reasonable prices.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I went to Springfield mainly to see the Lincoln Museum, and added the Illinois State Museum at the last minute. We were pleasantly surprised by all aspects of this building! It is free, which I found amazing considering how much it has to offer. The geological history is covered in depth, which I loved. The Illinois Indians had an interesting section, and supposedly there are special exhibits for children in the basement, though we did not have time to go down there. The flora and fauna of the different regions of the state were covered in detail too, and I learned something I didn't know--the dandelion is not native to the state, but was brought by settlers for food and the beauty of the flowers! It's an invasive species of all things!

The workers at the museum are extremely nice and friendly. When I couldn't find my husband, one even paged him for me! That saved us so much time and trouble, but how many places will do that for you? Very nice people. We'd like to come back and will.

1  Thank Sharonov
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

This place is fun! They had interesting exhibits which change periodically. It is free and everyone that works there is very nice. It is a small place;don't expect to be there long. The museum consists of basement full of interactive things for children. 1st floor, environmental exhibit and the 2nd floor has a special art exhibit as well as other historical objects(like the telephone).

Been to Illinois State Museum? Share your experiences!