“A great place to visit!”

Illinois State Museum
Ranked #7 of 58 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Illinois State Museum focuses on the art, natural history, history and anthropology of the State of Illinois. Admission is $5 for adults ages 19-64. Children under 19, seniors over 64, veterans, and active duty military personnel are free.
New Lenox, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A great place to visit!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This museum is a hidden gem! Nicely presented history of the state beginning with geological history (great job on glacial history), plants and animals native to Illinois and an explanation of the original prairies, conservation and the introduction of non-native species, and the people of Illinois and how their lives have changed. Native American exhibits were adequate but hope for more. Kids exhibits absolutely perfect! Great museum for those who like to read and learn more as well as for those who just want a quick overview. Docents excellent! Oh and by the way, it's free!

Visited June 2014

Fairfield, OH
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“It's free and probably best for children”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stopped in here after touring the nearby Capitol, since admission is free. We had been to the New York State Museum and found it interesting. We found this one much less so, and just did a quick walk through. It was the one activity that we felt we could have skipped, but families with children would probably find it more worthwhile.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank eatshoptravel
illinois
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Unique Museum”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The museum has many different exhibits that were interesting. It was a nice bonus to our trip in Springfield. It is near the Lincoln sites and State Capitol.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank djbIllinois
Hamel
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“FREE and FUN!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

FREE admission! Hands on activities for kids! Refreshing to find museum section where kids can touch and do and make things, like grinding ear corn on grinding stones, etc. Wooly Mammoth, dinosaurs, cool bugs and beautiful butterflies, native taxidermied mammals, etc. We live south of Springfield and go here once a year. In fact, I have been coming here since the 1970s with school trips when I was a child! Gift shop has nice selection and reasonable prices.

Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinoi
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Extremely Interesting, Wide Range of Information”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

My husband and I went to Springfield mainly to see the Lincoln Museum, and added the Illinois State Museum at the last minute. We were pleasantly surprised by all aspects of this building! It is free, which I found amazing considering how much it has to offer. The geological history is covered in depth, which I loved. The Illinois Indians had an interesting section, and supposedly there are special exhibits for children in the basement, though we did not have time to go down there. The flora and fauna of the different regions of the state were covered in detail too, and I learned something I didn't know--the dandelion is not native to the state, but was brought by settlers for food and the beauty of the flowers! It's an invasive species of all things!

The workers at the museum are extremely nice and friendly. When I couldn't find my husband, one even paged him for me! That saved us so much time and trouble, but how many places will do that for you? Very nice people. We'd like to come back and will.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sharonov

Been to Illinois State Museum? Share your experiences!