“A bit overpriced for what you get...”

Staybridge Suites South
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The hotel is under a renovation, so I am sure the product itself will improve immensely. But, when the room itself was not very clean, and the front desk staff didn't seem properly trained, it was disappointing. It took a lot of time to check us in, the front desk clerk seemed a bit new, and was far from friendly. I had to remind them that we had our dogs with us, and then there was a dispute regarding the pet fee. On their page, it is $50 for stays less than three nights, whereas we were told it would be $75 and when we disputed it, heard that it would be changing soon from another lady. I don't know why she felt that would be helpful to mention to someone who was just checking in? I even had to ask if there was a pet waiver to sign because the girl who checked me in didn't remember about the policy. They were helpful with dinner recommendations (a different girl than the one that checked us in was helpful - had glasses), but it just didn't have that friendly atmosphere I have come to expect with the brand. In the room, there was a blanket in the closet that had been messily folded, and placed partially back in a plastic bag. If it was clean, it looked sloppy to be shoved on the shelf. They have an old TV in the room that I would expect to see at a budget brand. The bathroom walls needed cleaning, the windows had cobwebs, the sheers were so dirty, and the pillows are in dire need of replacement. When they have to pack them to be half their size to stand up, it is time to get new ones. The bed was terribly uncomfortable. Outside, the parking lot in front of the entrance was full of cigarette butts and the benches need to be painted. They have a van in the parking lot with the logo that needs a new paint job. I do hope that all of this improves upon completion of the update, but the service still needs improvement. After driving so long, we really hoped to have a more welcoming attitude from the front desk agent, but instead we were greeted with zero personality, almost no eye contact and it was obvious that she seemed to just want us to go away. The girl with the glasses saved the day - and provided the warm welcome that Staybridge is supposed to have.

Room Tip: They mentioned that the top floor was being renovated first, so it would be best to start with the t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank HalfMarathonTravel
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear HalfMarathonTravel,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work diligently to ensure our facilities and services are superior and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am sorry for the problems you encountered during your visit in particular with the pet policy issues at check in, level of cleanliness and quality of your room. Also, we want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. Please accept our sincere apologies for falling short of your expectations. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves in. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future and provide you with the service you deserve and expect from us.

Lera P

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

This Staybridge was just ok. We chose to stay there because they had an indoor pool & hot tub and Staybridge typically has an awesome breakfast buffet. Their buffet was comparable to what you get at a Holiday Inn Express, so I was a little disappointed. Also, the hot tub was broken. The room itself was nice & comfortable.

Stayed: March 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Dear Tygerness,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. It is nice to know that you found the room comfortable. On the other hand, my apologies for the inconvenience you experienced over the breakfast selection and over the hot tub. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I recently had the opportunity to stay at The Staybridge Suites in Spingfield during three days of an industry training course. I do not typically stay at the "kitchenette" style hotels, so I really did not know what to expect. I must say that I was please with my overall experience. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff was friendly and always helpful.

During our stay, the hotel was offering free dinner each night with beer and wine. Obviously the food was not "fine dining" fare, but actually it was not bad. The first night, the offerings consisted of a salad bar and pulled pork sliders, the second night was chicken fajitas, and the third - pizza.

There is free wi-fi, and the normal run of cable networks. Do not expect to watch those networks on 42" flat screens however. These rooms still come with the 27" tubes of yesteryear.

My only true negative is that the hotel is a little off the beaten path and can be difficult to get to if you aren't familiar with the outlying Springfield area. Still, all in all it was a comfortable stay for a great price. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms come with a full size refrigerator and freezer, 10 cup coffee pot, standard microwa...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Janae W, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

jskains,
I would first like to say thank you for leaving us feedback on your experience at Staybridge Suites South in Springfield, IL. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing. I am sorry to hear that the TV's were not to your liking, but I am glad to let you know we have been undergoing a remodel and now all of our televisions are updated to flat screens. We work diligently to provide the best accommodations, and service and we use all the feedback we receive to improve our hotel. We hope that you will return to our hotel and see all the new things we have done, we would love to have you back! Again thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Janae Warwick- Asst. General Manager

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

They are currently in the process of updating. It needs it. They do have a very good breakfast. We really like the fireplace area off the lobby. The gym is super basic. The staff is friendly. I think some rooms are smoking and if so the entire hall smells.

Stayed: February 2014

bill_dance,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We value each and every guest here at Staybridge Suites South and we are so happy to hear that the staff and the fireplace were to your liking. We are nearing the end of our remodel and I am happy to inform you that Staybridge Suites South in Springfield, IL is now officially a non-smoking hotel. The gym will also get a small face lift near the end of the remodel. Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us not only to improve, but also to see what we are doing well! We hope to see you in the future.

Janae Warwick- Asst. General Manager

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Just stayed here for the weekend and they had a large group using the pool and all of the towels were dirty the next morning and all over the pool area. I went to the front desk and said the towels are all dirty and the woman responded, "yeah, we're waiting on someone in housekeeping to come in", also under the beds were very dirty in the room. Hallways and elevator floors dirty a bit. And the sanitary wipes were out in the workout room. The front desk recommended Little Saigon for Thai food and it was so delicious.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ShareMyShine

amdphoto,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We value your feedback, which helps us to improve our facilities and practices. I want to apologize for the disarrayed pool area and would like you to know that the response our staff gave you has been addressed and corrected. I would also like to apologize for the dirty hallways, elevators and the lack of sanitary wipes in the workout room. These issues have been addressed and corrected as well. I am so happy that our front desk staff was able to give you a good recommendation for Thai cuisine! I hope that you will come back to stay with us here at Staybridge Suites in Springfield, we would love to show you what we have improved upon. Thank you again and we hope to see you in the future.

Janae Warwick -Asst. General Manager

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have been very happy with previous stays at Staybridge Suites hotels over the last couple years, but this one didn't quite measure up to expectations. It started with my late night arrival to see the heavily pierced girl behind the front desk talking with her boyfriend seeming to be put out by my arrival. I am a IHG Rewards Club Platinum, but she didn't seem happy to see me and it appeared that I was shoe-horned into the last suite available as opposed to receiving any preference for my brand loyalty. When I arrived at my handicapped suite (I am not handicapped) I found the door propped open, but I didn't find anything awry. The nature of the non-skid treatments used in this handicapped bathroom made it a very difficult place to clean and it didn't appear that house-keeping put in the extra effort to make it look clean. On the plus side the suite was roomy and the bed was comfortable. I got a good night's sleep. Breakfast was not well-managed either with much of the food either missing or cold. Overall it wasn't a terrible stay and I don't think this hotel should be avoided. I just wouldn't go out of my way to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank nrstycz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear nrstycz,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us a feedback. Please accept our apologies for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Mixed feelings on this one. Front desk staff very nice at check in. Priority Club room upgrade I requested was granted! The room though- ugh. The hallways smelled like old food, the carpet in our room was threadbare at the edges, the room was only partially cleaned (there was hair on the bathroom floor in the corners along with dust, the extra pillow in the closet had hair on it, there was a bath towel hanging on the hook behind the door). The housekeeping staff also left a card with her name (Brittany) and an envelope for tips. We usually tip well, especially during the holidays, but NO WAY in this case! The bed was very comfy (after a VERY thorough inspection after seeing the condition of the room). The room was very soundproof (so rare!) and very dark with the blinds closed!! Breakfast was good, the pool was surprisingly warm and the hot tub fabulous. The location is very nice- close to a lot of restaurants, Meijer and Scheels. If housekeeping would do their job better, the carpet updated, and the weird smell removed, this would be an excellent property.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jamie B, Manager at Staybridge Suites South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We heard your concerns and are working on solutions to help our housekeeping department run smoother. We are very excited to say that we will be recently renovating the entire hotel and would love for you to come back and give us another try. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!