Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield - Southwest
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Portage, Wisconsin
“Worth it”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed one night and were very impressed with this hotel. The staff was so pleasant and helpful! We had a two queen suite that was so huge! The ceilings had to be 12 feet tall and that made the room so spacious! My only complaint was when another person shut their door ours would rattle. The door jam wasn't sealed right. This is something that can be fixed. Otherwise I would definitely recommend this place. The beds were not too hard and not too soft. We all slept very good.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Minnesota
Reviewed 27 December 2011

So as I sit here in my hotel room on the free wi-fi I was compelled to rave about the experience here at the Hampton Inn. The staff is absolutely amazing. Many have commented on them and my experience is no different. Each and every person is friendly, goes out of their way to help you, and keeps a smile on their face.

After driving a very long 10 hours from Minneapolis through sleet and snow I arrived exhausted and hungry. I was met by warm wonderful people here who offered to personally help me with anything I needed to get settled in the room. A hot cocoa bar had been set up in the lobby next to the Christmas tree and my kids eagerly dug in. The next morning brought a free breakfast setup including eggs, oatmeal, waffles, cereal, and many other options.

I reserved a Queen suite to cover my 5 member family. Each bed was very comfortable and we all had a great nights sleep. The room was very spacious and extremely clean. And the hotel was whisper quiet. I'm not sure if it simply wasn't very busy but I could not hear other guests at all. And we're on the first floor where you generally can hear everything.

If I had a complaint it would be a few things in the bathroom. The toilet paper is pretty typical of the budget hotels - one step above sandpaper. Lighting in the shower/toilet area is very dim. But in the grand scheme of things these are so minor it really didn't diminish the experience.

I've stayed at several locations in Springfield when visiting family and this hotel by far gives the best experience. It isn't the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. If you want a great nights sleep taken care of by a 5 star staff then this is the place to be.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank avman67
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Spent four nights in Springfield visiting my parents at Bickford House and finally got a chance to stay at this top rated hotel. Now I know why it's ranked so highly -- the staff is absolutely fabulous. I arrived with a terrible head cold. I needed to sleep in the afternoon but the housekeeping folks had sprayed room deoderant so heavily I couldn't breathe. I hated to complain but when I went to the front desk, Kathy was not only accommodating, she helped me move to another room and even upgraded us to a suite. I was grateful...and fell fast asleep for six blissful (quiet) hours.

I paid attention to the reviewer who complained about the pillows, but the Hampton pillows were great (and I am picky about pillows). They were fluffy, soft and perfect when you use two of them.

Breakfast was plentiful and just OK- pretty typical for a "free breakfast" place (omelets and sausage were probably warmed from frozen, but coffee, juice, oatmeal, yogurt and toast were great). Very spacious and clean dining room. Only glitch came during what should have been a quiet, private conversation between a new employee and an experienced one back in the kitchen. I now know more than I should know about the boss, "George" and his expectations. The experienced gal thought George's questions about guests were ridiculous and a "game" but I thought George had it right -- it IS nice to be appreciated when you are paying the bill. Guests don't need to hear the latest gossip, gals.

The sign at the front door is emblematic: "STOP! If you didn't have a wonderful stay at our hotel, turn around and go back to the front desk so we can make it right!" I just returned from Disney World, renowned for its customer service and the Hampton was Disney quality without the crowds!

Room Tip: Worth it to upgrade to a suite
1 Thank Linda R
Hampton Inn S, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield - Southwest, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
I absolutely agree. The staff here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Southwest is pretty special. What a pleasure it was to hear how Kathy was able to turn what initially was a problem, into a positive. I deeply regret you being forced to overhear the conversation in the kitchen. We frown upon personal conversations in any place but our employee lounge. I will take every measure to ensure this doesn't happen again. It really was unfortunate.

You said the D word, "Disney"! Disney certainly inspires those of us in the hospitality world and I'm so glad you noticed. I hope that you'll stay with us on your next visit to see your parents. Thanks for sharing your experience with this review.

All the best,
Darrin and your friends at the Hampton Inn & Suites Southwest
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Nice Overall Hotel. Staff was for the most part good to deal with, and we were part of a large group as they were a host hotel for a hockey tournament. We were not placed on the same floor as the rest of the team, and we did not get the room we had reserved. We received a smaller one, which they discounted the price, but the Front Desk did not tell us, so I had to go back for an explanation. At the last minute, we had 2 of our kids stay behind with family, so it was okay but if our 2 year old had come, that would have been ugly (and this review would have been much different). We could have used a late check out, but we were late in asking. Room was very clean and comfortable, and the breakfast (snacks throughout the day) was good (better than in other comparable hotel free breakfasts). Good location too, near shopping and stores.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 November 2011

We picked up a room after several hours driving back home

the Hotel is in excellent shape, clean and modern.
The exercise room is small but has nice modern exercise equpment - each with its own TV
There was a free happy hour with beer and wine (and free soda for this non drinker)
Free internet hookup
and to top it all - a very nice free hot breakfast with many choices, including eggs, bacon, etc.

Every employee we had contact with did an excellent job and were very helpful and friendly
Zero complaints from me!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 November 2011

I always check Trip Advisor prior to booking a hotel, and while we normally stay at Choice hotels, the reviews for that brand were awful, so I chose the Hampton. I have never stayed at one before and would HIGHLY RECOMMEND this Hampton Inn! The service was wonderful - from check in to check out. Called our room to see if all was OK. Room was spacious and clean. Pool and hot tub were great. Evening cookies were SO yummy. The breakfast was great, with an attendant right there - even Halloween candy for the kids! Quick check out with a smile and thank you! Customer service is so hard to find these days, and these employees delivered it all. I recommended this hotel to everyone else that stayed at nearby hotels from our group and I know we will stay here again. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
dthurman2, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield - Southwest, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Thank you for spending your time in Springfield with us here Hampton Inn & Suites Southwest. What a pleasure it was to hear about how our team members helped make your trip memorable. As general manager, I've been lucky enough to work with this fantastic team for the past several years. Thank you for taking the time to write this review- when I shared your comments with our breakfast hostess, she was elated. She loves doing special extras for holidays and your comment put a smile on her face. You know, black friday is just around the corner and we're very close to prime shopping.

All the best,
Darrin and your friends at the Hampton Inn & Suites Southwest
Chicago
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stay here for work about 15 nights per year. The service is great and the rooms are very clean. Great breakfast and location off of the interstate as well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
dthurman2, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield - Southwest, responded to this review, 2 November 2011
Hello! Firstly on behalf of all our staff here at Hampton Inn & Suites Southwest, thank you for your loyalty to our property. Your business is very important to us. I appreciate you sharing your experience and am so pleased to hear your positive feedback. We pride ourselves in exceptionally friendly guest service and near spotless rooms. And just to let you know, we've also added a new item to our breakfast, real piping hot oatmeal with all your favorite toppings. We're excited to offer another health conscience item to our huge breakfast spread.

Again thank you for your loyalty to our Hampton, and we hope to see you again soon!
Darrin