“My Favorite Spot In Springfield!”

Washington Park Botanical Gardens
Ranked #14 of 55 things to do in Springfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Garden consisting of 9,000 square feet of greenhouse area and a conservatory featuring more than 150 species of tropical plants.
Macedonia, Ohio
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 194 helpful votes
“My Favorite Spot In Springfield!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Washington Park Botanical Gardens were more beautiful than I imagined. I got my first look from the top of the Carillon and then I spent plenty of time throughout the area taking in just about everything outside. I observed many plants that were new to me and enjoyed the carefully and skillfully planted areas.The Conservatory which features lots of tropical foliage from Africa, Asia and South America was so very interesting. I smelled one purple blooming plant and its blooms smelled like fresh cooked bacon.
I wish there had been a gift shop or a plant store where I could buy small cuttings, plants, shoots, or seeds from so many of the well cared for flowers, plants, shrubs, trees, and ground covers.
If I lived in Springfield I would be enjoying the Botanical Gardens every season of the year. This is a gem worth visiting often. There was a photo art exhibit when I was there and orchid plant displays. There is plenty of parking, clean restrooms, a friendly staff member and so many beautiful songbirds.

Visited August 2013

Minneapolis, Minnesota
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Botanical gardens”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Something to do if you have time to spare but would not go out of my way for it. We were looking for something out door for the kids to run off some steam. It worked well for this.

Visited August 2013
Bellingham, Washington
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Very Nice...Charming”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Good city park sized for a city of 117,000. Have to stop feeding the ducks and cleaning/treating the milfoil rather than cutting trees. Nice settings and the garden is delightful.

Visited July 2013
Springfield, Illinois
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Washington Park Bot Gardens and Carillon”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

This Park is accessible by way of South Grand, McArthur Boulevard or Chatham Road. Located on the south side of Springfield. The Carillon has Sunday Concerts at 3:00 P.M.
The Garden has Rose beds and a special Glass enclosure of

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful flowers”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I drove past today and saw the flowers from the road and had to go back to take a walk up close.
All I can say is WOW! They are beautiful in the beds of annuals in back of the building and the
rose garden as well.Most of the park is off limits to cars on Sunday, but you can park in front of the building at the botanical garden and walk a short distance around on walkways to see the flowers and the carillon.
Every city should have a beautiful park like this one!

Visited July 2013