“My 2nd visit, but not my last!”
Review of Dana-Thomas House

Dana-Thomas House
Ranked #4 of 64 things to do in Springfield
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Having visited this house several years ago I knew I would love it. What I didn't know was I would learn different things from different tour guides--all interesting and done well. I saw things I hadn't noticed the first time and loved the things I had noticed even more. I think you could visit here again and again and never see it all as the details are so numerous. If I lived closer I would become a tour guide just to see it often. And the gift shop was fabulous! No photos allowed in the house.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I took my group of high school students here and they loved it! They said it was the best tour that they had ever went on (in four years). The chaperones enjoyed it as well. Our guide was amazing! This is a must do!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

My husband and I drove up from St. Louis on a Sunday for a change of scenery. Thanks to Trip Advisor, we knew there was a Frank Lloyd Wright house open for tours. We arrived and were warmly greeted by the employees. The tour is free but the suggested donation amount is $10 per person. We watched the 10 minute video which gave a great history of Ms. Dana and the house as well as Mr. Wright. There were 12 people in our tour and it was our tour guide's second time doing the tour. It exceeded our expectations. The house has been beautifully maintained/restored with many unique features, levels, windows and stories. The tour concluded in the courtyard and since it was FLW's birthday week, the local master gardeners were offering cookies, mint flavored water and lemonade as well as tours of the grounds. The gardeners gave us a lot of interesting information about the grounds restoration project and their views as locals on the property and its former owners Ms. Dana and the Thomas Publishing Company. If you like unique architecture mixed with interesting history and local stories, this is well worth your time.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

This huge home is a wonder! It is large, several levels, many rooms. Everywhere you look there are magnificent design details - walls, windows, floors, lighting. Our guide was excellent, though a little hard to hear with his soft voice. Illinois has a gem in this home.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I loved this place. The style, the size, the idiosyncrasies that is this maker's mark. Prairie-style at it's best. So much to take in and our tour guide was excellent.

1  Thank Todd P

Been to Dana-Thomas House? Share your experiences!