“Great spot”

Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
“Great spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We go here once a week and come to know the owner like family. Verde sauce is awesome. My wife loves the guacamole.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank MJHebenstreit

Springfield, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh and Yummy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

You can tell the owner is hands-on with the fresh food and amazing favors! The staff is great and I have always enjoyed my meal.

1 Thank Springfieldlocal
Chicago, Illinois
“I know Mexican Restaurants and this is GREAT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Having lived in California and now living in Chicago, I've had LOTS of experience with Mexican restaurants and this place rocks! Nice staff. Odd location in a shopping plaza but that means parking is easy and free. The food was actually creative. The chips and salsa free...huge basket (twice what we get in Chicago)...and we asked for more. Amazing margarita and probably half as expensive as in Chicago. If I lived near here they'd see me at Azteca every week.

1 Thank sidripley
O'fallon, Missouri
“Killer Margaritas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

This place is tiny and hidden away but well worth the search. I travel a lot and love good mexican food. I had chili relano and it was the best I've ever had. The cook is willing to depart from the usual Tex-Mex standard faire and I noticed some interesting and different spices. The only thing that kept me from giving it five stars was that I've had better rice other places. I will def. come back when I am next in Springfield and recommend it to all my friends.

1 Thank Annette C
Virginia USA
“Sorry that I can only give it five stars!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

When we decided that we wanted Mexican food, my wife and I were surprised that the Azteca Grill came up number 1 since it had only three reviews at the time. However, I noted that each was written by an experienced traveler and so we went there. Also, no one raved about the great fajitas or large margaritas which I took as good signs. The Grill is in a strip mall and does not look extraordinary. My wife ordered her “usual” enchiladas and I opted for a chili relleno, burrito and taco. After ordering, I dove into the chips and salsa. While the chips were exceptional, I found the salsa was just short of excellent. I admit that I usually make an early judgment about a Mexican restaurant based on the salsa and so I was hopeful, if a little cautious about the meal to come. Even though the restaurant was not crowded, it took quite a while for our dinners to arrive. Since I am use to having very fast service in places like this, I was not sure whether that was a good or bad sign. I have to admit, I was wonderfully surprised at how good my food was and my wife said that it was the best Mexican meal she ever had: it was tasty, fresh and superbly cooked. The only regret I have is that this restaurant is 1,000 miles from my home otherwise I would be there every night. I am also sorry that I can only give it five stars – it deserves more! If you can, go there.

1 Thank BobVirginiaUSA