“Springfield Icon”
Review of Maldaner's

Maldaner's
Reserve with OpenTable
Maldaner's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 486 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th and Monroe
Description: Established in 1884, Maldaner's Restaurant and Catering is one of Springfield's finest restaurants. If you have visited The Old State Capitol, Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana-Thomas House or the State Capitol, you can imagine the wonderful celebrations Maldaner's likely was a part of at the turn of the last century and to the present day. Today, under the guidance of Chef-Owner Michael Higgins, Maldaner's respects tradition while offering the best of contemporary American fine dining in our historical setting. Chef Higgins features seasonal local and regional ingredients influenced by Mediterranean composition and preparation. Heirloom vegetables, humanely raised meats and Slow Food all artistically prepared and presented. Welcome to Maldaner's in downtown Springfield. We hope you enjoy your visit each time you dine at Maldaner's.
Springfield, IL
“Springfield Icon”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Building is old and could use an update. Lunch prices are very good. Food is all good. A bit expensive for dinner. Enjoy outdoor dining. Appreciate that herbs are grown on roof. I also think they keep bees on roof.

Springfield, Illinois
“Fine Dining”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is the only place I know of in Springfield to get Beef Wellington and it is always excellent. The duck is also wonderful. Risotto especially during Morel season is amazing. They also make a Morel Pie during morel season that I highly recommend. The bartender also makes a wonderful cosmopolitan, and gives you the shaker so none is wasted.

• Visited January 2014
Springfield, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Maldaners Review”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My wife, myself, and my two grown children ate at Maldaners on December 28 to celebrate my birthday. The service was just how I remembered it on previous visits, which is excellent. I had prime rib for my dinner and it was very good. I had a drink from the bar, a Sazerac, and the bartender did a great job in mixing the drink. My family members were also very pleased with their entrees. I don't eat at Maldaners that often but when I do I always enjoy it. It is a quite and relaxing place to go enjoy a dinner. The service is low key but attentive. It's a place that I will always want to go back to.

1 Thank brickosu
Springfield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“the most consistantly good restaurant”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

One goes to maldaner's because you know you will have a great meal. It's always good. Great bread, great fish dishes, attentive service and innovative specials.

1 Thank twinlovetocook
“Good, would go back.”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This was a very nice restaurant in the middle of downtown Springfield. Prices are 20 to 30 per plate. We all enjoyed our salad course and the main entrees were very good. My medium rare steak was more rare than medium. Service from the waiter was excellent although the kitchen was slow to get the entrees out. The chocolate flourless cake was delicious but skip the hot fudge sundae as it was nothing special.

1 Thank mallorynp