Review of Maldaner's

Reserve with OpenTable
Maldaner's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 494 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$10 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 6th and Monroe
Description: Established in 1884, Maldaner's Restaurant and Catering is one of Springfield's finest restaurants. If you have visited The Old State Capitol, Frank Lloyd Wright's Dana-Thomas House or the State Capitol, you can imagine the wonderful celebrations Maldaner's likely was a part of at the turn of the last century and to the present day. Today, under the guidance of Chef-Owner Michael Higgins, Maldaner's respects tradition while offering the best of contemporary American fine dining in our historical setting. Chef Higgins features seasonal local and regional ingredients influenced by Mediterranean composition and preparation. Heirloom vegetables, humanely raised meats and Slow Food all artistically prepared and presented. Welcome to Maldaner's in downtown Springfield. We hope you enjoy your visit each time you dine at Maldaner's.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We went to Maldeners for our 51 anneversery dinner.Ordered the beef wellington,it was like having Sunday dinner at home.The beef was fresh and you could cut it with a fork.
The staff was great and very polite and knowlegable. This was our first visit to Maldeners but it won't be our last.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Right in the middle of downtown , Half a block from the old Capitol , I found this great restaurant.
Sat outside, the weather was great.
The service was excellent.
Plate presentations , amazing. The do have chef specials every day! The bread was great.
Had a soft shell fried crab for appetizers with a " southern hardy " sauce. It was just fabulous!
Very fresh Caesar salad.
The ribeye was cooked to perfection.
The amaretto sour was great!
I was very happy that I went there.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I've eaten at several restaurants throughout the U.S. in my travels, and I would definitely rate Maldaner's the very best in the U.S. Over the past several years I've come to Springfield to work at the state fair on the weekend, and always dined here both nights I was in town. I've tried the steaks, fish, lamb, and was never disappointed. Every meal was outstanding, from the appetizers to the desserts. The historic atmosphere is really great, the service good, the prices moderately reasonable, and even the cocktails are great. They raise a lot of the produce used in the menu dishes, making it somewhat of a "farm to plate" establishment. The owner/chef Mike Higgins, has been there for several years, and knows his trade well. I will be traveling to Springfield to work at the fair in early August, and am looking forward to dinner there again.

1  Thank Craig B
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Despite that commitment, the menu is creative and delicious. It is a standard in downtown Springfield and my "go to" when I'm looking for great food, great wine and excellent service.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Since I remember the menus of 1960 very well, I do love a place that still serves some of my favorite old items such as Beef Wellington, which is a specialty at Maldaners. But they also have some up-to-date innovative selections, such as pistachio crusted salmon with asian glaze. My husband and I ordered both items, then split them in half and shared. Both were excellent! Maldaners is an institution in Springfield and has been around forever--you have to be doing something right to stay open and crowded for that long.

Been to Maldaner's? Share your experiences!