“A Special Place”

Statesville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Special Place”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Get there early. We parked outside the cemetery grounds and walked to the tomb--if you can do this, I recommend it because it sets the scene as there are gravesites of other notables. The tomb is beautiful in its simplicity: it is tasteful, not garish, and thoughtful--tracing key events in LIncoln's life through his words and depicting him in small bronze statues. The crypt is solemn and beautiful--tragic, with Willie and Tad next to the great man. My 13 year old son found it as significant as I did.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Wisconsin
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

You won't be disappointed. It was raining by the time we got here but I just couldn't leave without seeing the tomb so we waited out the storm. This monument is huge! You can see it from the cemetary road but make sure you take the short walk from the parking lot to the tomb and go inside. I didn't expect this to be such a moving site but it was definitely a hightlight for me.

Cincinnati, Ohio
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A COMPLETE SURPRISE!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Absolutely gorgeous.....incredible design.....do not miss this one. Fitting resting place for a remarkable President.

Indianapolis, Indiana
104 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“I want a Tomb like this!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This Tomb is spectacular. It is definitely one of the nicest ones I have ever seen. I have seen George Washington's and his tomb is nothing like this one. There are multiple family members in it, but still, it is huge. I really like the obelisk and all the statues. There are statuses outside (rub Lincoln's nose for good luck) and inside. The inside statues show different times and locations of President Lincoln which is really neat. This is free and a must see!

Kentucky
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stopped by the tomb on our way out of town expecting to be there just a few minutes. They had civil war re-enactors there that evening who re-enacted some of the military burial rites including the 21 gun salute. They then raffled off the flag that had flown over the flag. I don't know if they do this all the time or just in summer but my kids found it fascinating.

Visited July 2014

Been to Lincoln Tomb & War Memorials? Share your experiences!