“A Snowy Days Respite”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dallas, Texas
“A Snowy Days Respite”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

It's 27 degrees outside and snowing, it's been a long work week with fast food and heart burn, nagging people and it's just gonna repeat nxt week. Ever had one of those weeks ? Well my splurge is Friday lunch, when I get to get away to some neat place to eat and rfresh my foodie soul. Being a Chef , I am very OCD about where I eat, not excluding the fast food meals I have to suffer through, I eat to experience all the spice I can and expect a great deal out of my food.
So today I found that I was wanting some good BBQ. There are those that say you have to be in a certin region for good BBQ , but I have found some great BBQ in all parts of the country, as well as some noit so great BBQ. Looking in the area I found todays interest Hickory River. I don't usually review chain places but this one did't strike me as a typical chain. I was really hungry so I ordered the pulled pork plate with a side of chili and mashed potatoes and gravy. The service was cafeteria style , picking ot your order from hanging overhead menus. The staff was genuine and helpful and smiles were sincere.
Now to the food. The pulled pork was topped with their hot and medium sauce which had a great flavor, not too sweet and , with a good kick at the end. The pork was tender and juicy with good juice to it . The portion was great, big enough for my appetite. The mashed potatoes were homemade with lumps and tasted like homade. The chili was a great side, it had a few too many beans for my liking but made up for it with chunks of bbq meat in it.
Next I tried the ribs and fell in pig heaven with the baby backs ! Slow smoked over hickory they are not too flavored with rub so the natural sweetness of h pork shines. They don't fall offthe bone which to me is good. I like a chew to my food so It was just right. To top it off I tried the smoked chicken wings. Smoked just right and then fried to a crisp finish, then sprinkled with a spic rub, these wings need no sauce.
Overall an awesome winters day retreat, will be back again next time i visit.
Chef David, The Wandering Chef

• Visited January 2014

Waycross, Georgia, United States
“Great Pulled Pork BBQ!”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I travel quite a bit with my work and I have eaten barbeque in many different cities and states. This place in my opinion has some of the best pulled pork and their spicy bbq sauce is perfect. They have a drive through which is a plus for me as I prefer to get my food and go back to the hotel room when works done. The Sweet tea was great, as was the potato salad, baked beans, and corn bread.

• Visited January 2014
Illinois
“Just okay”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We went on a Sunday evening, and had the place to ourselves. The barbecue was good, but nothing special. The cole slaw had a nice vinegary tang that I like, but the mac and cheese was bland. I had the chopped brisket sandwich, which could have been warmer. The chopped pork nachos are a meal in themselves, although they had too many beans and were not really to my liking. The cornbread was dry. It was better than fast food, but nothing to write home about.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank TravelingCircus1
Jackson, Mississippi
“Disgusting Food, Bad Service, Dirty Restaurant”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We were hoping for the best, but from the moment we walked in, my wife and I regretted choosing this place. The staff was rude, the restaurant, especially the restrooms, was extremely dirty, and the food was just bad. The barbecue meat was dry, the sides were disgusting, and the sweet tea wasn't sweet at all.

I wish they hadn't closed our favorite Chinese buffet down the street because this place didn't satisfy.

• Visited December 2013
Toledo, Ohio, United States
“Great BBQ Restaurant”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Just got back from a short trip to Springfield. The staff at our hotel recommended the local BBQ restaurants. On our last night, we tried this one and had a fabulous meal. I had ham and my wife had the beef. We both chose the mild sauce. We both agreed that it was one of the best BBQ meals we had ever eaten. You can't go wrong eating here.

• Visited November 2013