“Five Star Inn”

and 1 more site!
Inn at 835
Ranked #1 of 4 Springfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2009

After reading other reviews regarding the Inn at 835 not being a true bed and breakfast, I disagree. After making a hobbie of scouting out various bed and breakfasts, I find that the Inn at 835 to be one of my favorites. When I look for a bed and breakfast, it has to meet the high standards of the 835 in order for me to book accomodations.
Our favorite suite is the Orchid Suite. True, you don't have the picture perfect view of the Capital; the private veranda offers other options such as quiet place to relax and enjoy a glass of wine with someone special. To me, that's more important than viewing the Capital building. I was impressed about having two separate bedrooms, as well as a large living area with separate veranda enterances. It is a large suite and well worth the money spent to reserve it.
The staff are kind, and have always went out of their way in order to make our stay special. They even carry a table with food,fresh flowers, and champagne upstairs to the suite for breakfast in the morning, if requested.
As far as the hint of a haunted inn, I assure you that nothing out of the ordinary has happened to us, not to mention that I'm not a believer of the paranormal to begin with.

Reviewed 25 October 2008

Our stay was only okay. Nothing special really.

Reviewed 24 October 2008

Overall, the inn is very nice for accomodations. We stayed in the Orchid Suite - 2 bedrooms and a sitting area - very large and comfortable. The suite has a balcony overlooking the parking lot and supposedly the capital - it will when the leaves in the tree blocking the view fall - so a little deceptive advertising there but not a deal breaker. The room was clean and the staff even cleaned some personal silverware for us - nice touch. The food was good - but no choices which would have been nice (even one other option would be fine). We arrived on a Saturday night and there was a function in the hotel and the adjoining banquet hall. Luckily we were able to find a parking space - but the inn should mark off spots specific for guests. The inn is close to the Lincoln sites and a nice 10 block walk to the Lincoln Museum.

1  Thank trinididder
Reviewed 12 October 2008

My husband, my mother who uses a wheelchair, and I stayed 2 nights at the Inn in early October, 2008. Very few guests occupied the Inn during our mid-week visit, so we were fortunate to receive very personal attention at times from the staff.

We reserved the Orchid suite which consists of two bedrooms, one bath and a parlor. A spacious balcony overlooking the capital building is accessed by both bedrooms. My mother especially enjoyed sitting in the very large parlor beautifully decorated with early 20th century pieces.

Breakfast is a real treat. The staff was exceptionally accommodating to us and the food, wonderful! Early morning coffee was available downstairs as well as in the room; the evening wine of good quality and quantity; and the night time warm cookies, sinfully delicious!

The staff made it possible for us to use a side delivery door in order to wheel my mom to the elevator. Wheelchair accommodations are available throughout, but they are not particularly easy and guests with disabilities cannot experience the warm visual welcome each time they enter the building, as able-bodied guests do.

During my mother's rests, my husband walked to many of the city's historical and cultural sites. Springfield's streets are beautiful, well marked, and the signage in general is very good.

Because Wifi and electrical outlets in our suite were "spotty", I would not recommend the Inn to anyone needing to conduct tech-oriented work during their stay.

However, I would certainly recommend this small, boutique hotel to anyone looking for a quiet place with plenty of atmosphere, excellent food and friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank LWL
Reviewed 2 September 2008

The interior of this building was absolutely breathtaking. The owners have gone to great lengths to restore the beautiful woodwork, fireplaces, etc.

We did not meet the owner. The staff was polite. It had more of a "hotel" feel to it, because it was run by hired staff. One thing we find special about staying at B&B, is the personal touch you have when meeting and briefly interacting with the owners.

We were a party of 4, so we rented two rooms. One on the inside and the other was the cottage which was detached from the main building.

There was a wedding and reception taking place when our friends were being taken to their room at the cottage. In order for them to get to their room, they had to pass through the wedding area. We received ALOT of dirty looks from those in the wedding party (I don't blame THEM for this, as in there eyes WE were the intruders). On the other hand, we had just paid over $180 each to have these rooms, and their wedding was taking place on the lawn outside of our friends room. So they were also invading OUR space. Then for the first 2 hours after our friends arrived in their room in that cottage, there were at least 4 different people who knocked on the door thinking it was the brides room (the cottage is split in half like a duplex). One person even knocked and quickly opened the door and walked in with the brides flowers as our friends were lying in bed! (fully clothed, but still just a little embarrassing for all concerned)!

Breakfast was ok. Spinach Quiche. One person in the party did not like spinach and asked if he could have eggs instead, but his question was either ignored or not heard by the chef who was placing the plates of quiche at our table at the time of the question. I would rate the breakfast a 5 on a 0-10 scale. I am comparing this to the other B&B we have stayed at (aprox 9 or 10 in the Midwest alone).

Our room was beautifully decorated and very in line with the historical theme of the rest of the house. Our bed was very comfortable for me, but not for my spouse, who said the mattress was too hard. Plenty of pillows, extra blankets as well. The jacuzzi/tub/shower was all in one. Be careful if you stay in the Hydrangea room. It is VERY easy to fall getting out of the tub. The width of the jacuzzi tub combined with the added width of the surrounding ceramic tile is a very wide distance. So stepping out from the tub and down to the floor is a long stride.

So to summarize, the 835 was very clean, very historical, and very beautiful. It does NOT have a Bed & Breakfast feel/atmosphere. It does offer elevator service to the 2nd and 3rd floors, but that also just made it feel more like a motel. There is paid staff, so personal touch is lost. The wedding and reception area can get in the way of your stay as well if there is a wedding taking place while you are there. If you are looking for a true B&B, this is not your place. If you are looking for a beautiful historical clean place, then this is the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
3  Thank ElkIvorysGirl
Reviewed 16 August 2008

We stayed in the Wisteria room the day after our wedding. We were unable to do a honeymoon but wanted to stay somewhere close so we would at least have a weekend to ourselves. I was more than delighted with our stay. We arrived on a Sunday and there didn't seem to be many other guests so it was very quiet. We ran into about 4 other people during the wine/cheese hour which was awesome. My husband is a big talker so he had people to chat with while I looked around. When we returned from dinner he had set up the Temptation add on. It was a lovely surprise...chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The room itself was simply amazing. Spotless and comfortable in absolutely every aspect. The breakfast the next morning was absolutely delicious as was the coffee. They set out lot's of syrups and extras to go with the coffee. Fun. I think the owner served breakfast but not sure. But all staff that we came in contact with were very polite, professional and helpful. We really can't say enough about the Inn. And we will be returning as soon as we possible can. Oh...the price for what you get is really a great deal. There is no reason to stay at a hotel if you can get a room here!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank nevergets2go
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We are locals and I was looking for some place different for us to spend out 16 year Wedding Anniversary. I've been to 1 Bed & Breakfast before and wasn't too overly impressed. Staying at the Inn at 835 restored my belief. It was one of the best experiences we've had sleeping away from home! Better than any hotel we've stayed at too. The staff was excellent! The decor was tastful and even though it was "dated" it wasn't old. (If you know what I mean) The bed was very comfortable and the whirlpool bath did it's job. The staff was very hospitable and friendly. The breakfast was very nice as well. Coffee was readily available all day. You also had complimentary wine, cheese and crackers from 5-7 on check in day. And their check out time is 12:00 noon so you don't feel rushed. If that wasn't enough, we had a veranda to sit and enjoy our wine and the weather. It's also walking distance from downtown Springfield. I can't say enough about how we loved our stay at the Inn. We will definately be returning for another getaway. Very Soon!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple