“Perfectly fine” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Perfectly fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

For a budget hotel, I thought Mansion View was great. I refused to spend $170 for the Hilton. Yes, that's right, $170 for a standard double BEFORE tax= stupid, lame, outrageous. Especially since last time I stayed there, it was filthy. And you don't get a better room aside from maybe decor. We were only there for one night (actually, just like 9 hours) so even if Mansion View was bad it would have been tolerable for such a short amount of time. But it wasn't bad at all! We got a double suite and it was $90 after tax. I heard one of the staff tell someone on the phone the rooms were newly renovated. I think they did a sufficient job. The room was clean and comfortable and I don't care about decor, it's not important. But it was perfectly acceptable. The lobby was nice and the staff was really very friendly. I went in to ask if there was a place nearby that sells package liquor and they recommended a place and even offered to call them up to ensure that they sell what I was looking for. And, we were without a bottle opener and they let us use their only wine/bottle opener for the whole night. They also offer free continental breakfast. It's not an awesome breakfast but at least they offer stuff - dry cereal, packaged oatmeal, frozen waffles, etc. I didn't eat the breakfast but I think it's nice for them to have free breakfast at all and I'm not a snob. If you're on a budget and not a snob, you'll be happy with Mansion View. The only "con" would be that it's near where the train runs through town that affected my mates sleep but I'm a heavy sleeper so I didn't notice it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank BunnBunn_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Lakebay, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

By far the worst place I have stayed in!
Travel Lodge looks like the Hilton compared to this hotel!
*$79 a night
*Outside entrances/Not the best for safety
*You can hear through the bedroom walls
*The door to the room you could barely open
*The hair dryer was not working-When I told them at the front desk, they thought it was my error. I had to tell another staff member 5 hours later to get it replaced!
*The Television was fuzzy-The remote did not work.
*The telephone in the room was not working.
*The bed was not comfortable.
*There was garbage left in the room from the previous stay.
*The room smelled smokey.
*The shower drain was slow-backing up water.
*You could hear the trains go by at night.
*The heater in the room was not working very well.
*The sink in the bathroom was loose and hard to control the heat.
*The water in the bathroom was yellow.
*The WI Fi in the room was not working.
*The breakfast consisted of a bag of bread for toast, cereal and small donuts.

This is a good location, in the heart of historical Springfield, IL. Walking distance to small shops, the YMCA and restaurants.

I would not waste your time and money to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Hennessy1234
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Hotel is old and a bit rundown and location is not great - right next to a railroad track. Kind of like a Motel 6 with outside entrances to all the rooms and no amenities. Close to all the downtown historic attractions though, so that was nice. Plus it was very affordable and we were only there one night.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon W
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

Our first night on the road during our Route 66 adventure last summer, and we were delighted that we'd chosen the Mansion View Inn & Suites. The man on the reception was incredibly friendly and he spent half an hour teaching me about the history of baseball (this is a good thing, although my fiance might disagree). He showed us to our room which was very spacious, clean and comfortable. At night time we found that the trains were very noisy. Breakfast was plentiful. Parking was easy. All the staff were very helpful. Great location for visiting Abraham Lincoln's house (just a couple of blocks away). Overall, it was a very good stay. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Will23C1982
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

This is a sketchy place. First we arrived and my wife was immediately uncomfortable, based on the condition of the place. The young lady at the front desk was very nice and helpful; however, once we got in our room, the bad experience began. The smell was awful and the door would hardly open or shut. We went out for a while and came back in a couple hour, just before dark. We were one of a few staying at the hotel - the only other person was notice was a guy that stay outside his door smoking. After we got back in our room, we were nervous, then, the worst happen - A GUY WALKS IN TO OUR ROOM!!!!! I assume they gave someone our room key and he just walks in! We immediately packed up, demanded a refund, and got outta there!!! They were resistant at first but shortly came to senses and issued the refund. WOW! The worst experience ever! Glad no one walked in when we weren't there!!

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE!!!! Rooms above the 1st floor are tough to get to!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2013

We had a great stay at this clean & cozy place. The staff was very friendly & went an extra mile to update us on the local attractions & restaurants. We even got a complementary upgrade to a King Suite:)
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Bikash G
East Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel, it was close to everything, the beds were a little hard but the room was clean and the hotel was easy to get too. I like the ample parking. The keys to the rooms are a bit different.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple