Mansion View Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$94
US$91
HIExpress.com
US$60
US$56
Baymont Inn & Suites Springfield(Springfield)(Great Value!)
US$69
US$65
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The place was easy to find with a decent size car park. We were pleased to get an upgrade to a suite, mainly because it was fairly quiet. The room itself was a little tired, but still in a good state or repair and the aircon worked well. As mentioned in other reviews, yes there are trains, however it didn't disturb my sleep and it's pretty hard to avoid the trains anywhere in Springfield, two tracks seem to run straight through the town!

The great thing about this place is the location, it's walking distance to all the main tourist spots in Springfield. Managed to bump into Abraham Lincoln himself wandering through the nearby Lincoln Home district (the whole street is preserved, and it's free!).

If you want a good pub Obed & Isaacs (500 South 6th St) is only a few minutes walk away, serving great beer and food. As a result I manage to miss breakfast for two days running so can't comment on that.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smileyfarmerboy
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Based on some other reviews, I was a little hesitant to stay here, however our experience was very positive. Upon arrival we were greeted by a very friendly desk clerk. The room we were given (210) was on the 2nd floor. There is an elevator, but the stairs were close and we didn't use it. The room was a 2 room suite and was very clean and quiet. The exception to this was the train traveling along the back of the hotel several times each day and a couple of times at night. We heard the horns, but it really wasn't a problem for us.

The location is wonderful for visiting the Lincoln home - we walked. It is also very close to the State Capitol and the Governor's Mansion is across the street.

The breakfast was poor, not much left when we went at 8:15 a.m.

All in all a good value if you can handle a train whistle now and again.

Room Tip: The rooms along the back of the hotel are next to the train tracks, the other rooms would probably be quieter.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lynn J
Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is an older style motel, with a worn feel to the carpet and bathroom. We were alarmed to hear such loud regular tooting from the trains and feared a sleepless night. However it wasn't a problem. Breakfast was reasonable, with juice, bagels, cereal, and fresh fruit etc. the location was v good for tourists wanting to visit Lincoln's house , and other attractions like the Dana Thomas house.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank wetwoSydney
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I was in Springfield on business when session was in, therefore all of the hotels were booked, so I stayed here. The only positive thing about this place is that it is close to the Capitol and the Mansion.

My experience listed out:

1). This is a motel, not a hotel or an inn. Don't let the name fool you. The doors open right to the outside. I pushed a chair against the door to feel safer at night.

2). While walking to my room, I noticed the room next to me the door was WIDE open. No one in, didn't look like anyone was staying. Because it opens to the outside, I called the front desk. The receptionst told me "Yes, it's airing out because the tenant before left a very bad smell." Well, thanks for sharing. But I checked in at 10:30 at night. I didn't like the idea that this wide open room could be seen from the street. Anyone could have just walked in and slept in it.

3). When I walked into my room, there was a half dead huge bumblebee on the floor.

4). The room smelled so bad- just like smoke. Especially the bathroom.

5). Carpet was gross and dirty. Wore shoes the whole time. So were the chairs in the room. I didn't want to touch anything, really.

6). No iron, which is bad for a business trip.

7). Paint peeling off the walls.

8). Shower took a while in the morning to find the right temperature.

Overall, I just felt dirty and not comfortable. The ONLY reason to stay in this motel is if you are here on business and can not find someplace else to stay. But let me tell you, I would be willing to go further out and stay someplace nicer than in here again!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 May 2013

When I first arrived I was placed on the 2nd floor-no elevator-and all room outdoor entrances. Not the best for female safety traveling alone.
The room I was given was very smokey. I asked to change rooms and was accomodated! The room I was placed in the door was sticky and hard to open. The water in the sink was yellow and the shower drain was backing up.
The hairdryer was ot working. I asked to be fixed at the front desk. I had to ask again 5 hours later. The phone in the room was not working. The heat/air in the room was noisy. The room was close to train tracks and noisy to sleep. You could also hear the people in the room next door. The night staff were friendly and helpful for local restaurants.
The bed was not comfortable and there was candy wrappers by the bed from the guest before me.
For almost $90 a night I expect better rooms and service.
Great location to local attractions and restaurants. Just steps away from the YMCA.

Room Tip: Top floor-Away from the train tracks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business