“Good Value All Round”
Review of Mansion View Inn

Mansion View Inn
Ranked #37 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Pros

Perfect location - walkable to all historic sights
Parking/Bed/breakfast for £42 we felt was good value
Room - clean albeit a little dated

Cons

Train line runs right behind hotel, which didn't bother us personally but I could see it annoying others. The trains just hoot and horn when going past. We were woken at 0200 and 0530 by trains!

Overall I would recommend this to all Route 66 travellers as we were who maybe on a budget and want to be walkable to all sights. It's clean, tidy, good central location, parking, and decent breakfast in morning.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank thomashayleyhowe

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Would NEVER recommend this spot to anyone of my collegues. I've been on a road trip for the past month and this is the crappy-est place I have every been in. NO comparison to any other hotel I've been it. Just filthy and run down. NO lamp in my room ... just all around awful.

Room Tip: higer floors have less a/c unit noise. this is all they would let me CHOOSE. just stay away
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank George W
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I would not recommend this property to anyone. The heat in our room did not work. We turned the wall unit on and all we got was semi cold air. We ran it for awhile hoping it would warm up. Not sure which was warmer, our room or the 8 degree temperature outside. The gentleman who checked us in had left the property so there was no way for us to move to another room. The next morning when we were getting ready we found out that the shower would only run hot water or cold water. We were unable to take a warm shower. My husband shared with me that the food that was being served at breakfast was old. The raisins in the cereral were dried out. I stopped at the front desk to see if we could get an extended check out, the lady just pointed to the poster on the counter. When I asked for directions, the woman was unable to direct me to the capital building which was walking distance from the hotel. The sad part is this could be a really nice property if it was better maintained and managed.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kathleen T
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am pleasantly surprised with my stay (three days/two nights) at Mansion View Inn. I was coming from a 'least costly' perspective when I booked … AND this place is a precious find ~ like stepping back in time a bit to a two-story courtyard motel. Lovely attention to furnishings, comfort, beauty and service. Across the street from the Governor's Mansion and a short walk to the State Capitol, Lincoln Sites, Lincoln Museum, & Historic Downtown Springfield. Oh! and parking outside my door, comfortable bed and pillows, and free wi-fi (and continental breakfast).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LarkWest
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We got a last minuite booking here on the weekend that it was the Route 66 motheroad festival.. so were quite happy to get anywhere! Staff needed some work and the hotel was tired. But great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I think that the only positive thing about the hotel is its location, very close to the Capitol. The room was run down and needed refurbishment. The floor was burnt with iron and had big mark of iron. Heating was very noisy, thus had to switch it off at night. I would say that this is a motel, rather. The breakfast is disappointing, very difficult to find something to eat in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Booked on Expedia and room was not even close to the one shown in the promo picture. Andrea B. has it right, this is a motel and despite the name, your only view will likely be the parking lot. The room was small, dingy and dirty. The furnishings are circa 1985. The bathroom was unbelievable. The mirror was completely cracked from top to bottom on one side and was missing a large corner on the other. The finish on the tub was worn off. There are train tracks right behind the hotel so you can expect to hear loud train whistles multiple times throughout the day and night. We were booked for 2 nights but only stayed one because a cockroach was sharing the bathroom with me. The irony is that it wasn't an inexpensive rate, it was comparable to many others at chain hotels. The only positive thing I can say is that it is within walking distance from the Lincoln sites.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family