“Good location, very nice older style motel”
Review of Mansion View Inn

Mansion View Inn
Ranked #36 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Carbondale, Illinois
“Good location, very nice older style motel”
Reviewed 19 December 2008

We needed a place close to St. John's Hospital for my wife and me to stay prior to a medical procedure I was having, then for my wife to stay while I was in the hospital. The Mansion View Inn seemed to have the best ratings of places close to the hospital, and when I called to inquire about availability the young man I spoke with was very helpful and offered us some very competitive rates, so we decided to stay there. We were not disappointed.

This is an older motel, but it has generally been well-maintained. Much of the furniture in our room was new. The king-size bed was very comfortable and even had a duvet similar to what many upscale hotels are now providing. The heat worked well and was easily controlled. Plumbing fixtures were somewhat old and worn but also worked well, and we had plenty of hot water.

Room doors do open to the outside, but new electronic key locks have been installed, plus the neighborhood appeared relatively safe (the Governor's Mansion is right across the street) so we never felt unsafe. The neighborhood is quite peaceful with only moderate traffic on the nearby street. Free off-street parking is provided, with some of it sheltered, which we found very useful given that snow and freezing rain were forecast during our stay.

The only noticeable noise came from a nearby train track, but it appears that only Amtrak trains run through there, so the noise lasted only a short period of time and was not frequent. We never noticed train noises late at night, so apparently the trains don't run during those times.

My wife is now talking about taking a pleasure trip to Springfield this summer and is already planning to stay at the Mansion View Inn. If you want to be close to downtown and away from the interstate with its fast-food restaurants and chain motels, then this is the place I would recommend.

• Liked — Great bed!
  • Disliked — Plumbing fixtures somewhat old and worn
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Was looking for a property online and found Mansion View. The only way reservations would work was to call property directly. I spoke with a very nice man whom helped me get a room for that same night with a super late check in. He told me what was in the vicinity and explained up front about the train tracks. I received a King "Suite" for $99 (taxes included)

We arrive very late but were greeted by very friendly desk clerk that checks us in with no delay. The lobby is very pretty and quite clean. We follow the directions to our room and see that the other reviews of this property basically being a motel is quite correct. It looks like a motel that has had a big front porch or breezeway of sorts put on the front of it. I am sure it was to make the property more secure but all the doors to these "foyers" were unlocked.

Enter our "suite" and it is basically two rooms (with only one bathroom) put together. The entry had a small fridge to the left, just kind of sitting there by itself. To the right was a wet bar and microwave. There was a dining like table and chairs. 1 sofa, 1 end table and an older style tube type tv. The room kind of looks empty with just minimal furniture. The furniture was older but clean.
The bedroom part of the suite contained a king bed with clean and modern bedding, 80"s wooden style desk, night tables and headboard. A tiny 13" tv in a wardrobe in front of the bed. Plus their was a love seat that looked like it would match the sofa in the other room. The bathroom was a basic motel bathroom. Narrow, no bells or whistles, clean and stocked with clean towels.
Room had iron and board, hairdryer, soap, shampoo, lotion..
There was no safe.

Heard the train only once at 4 am. I was the only one in our room that it effected but I fell right back to sleep.

Continental Breakfast in mornings in a very very tiny rooom. Cereal, Oatmeal, muffins, toaster type items, juice, milk, coffee, tea. Stocked pretty nicely..only complaint is size of room.

If you are in Springfield for business or want to be downtown and you need to be pampered this is not the place. If you are grown up and just looking for a clean place to sleep..This is it.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Train
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
Taos Ski Valley, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 March 2008

Room was clean and the reservation was all handled perfectly. Breakfast (included) was better (i.e., had more variety) than what you get at most motels. Be advised that some rooms (on the west side I believe) are literally 20 feet from the railroad tracks, and trains run in the early morning and late into the evening. There's no pool, but the inn has an arrangement with a YMCA about a block away (so you can swim at the YMCA for free if they have open swim hours). When I booked, Mansion View Inn had the best rate in downtown Springfield. This inn is just a few blocks from all the downtown attractions and several great restaurants. I would stay there again, but not in a room next to the railroad tracks.

• Stayed March 2008
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 13 March 2008

I just spent one night at this hotel, and I can't recommend this hotel.

Negatives

This is not a nice property. First understand that the majority of the rooms are accessed from the outside--think motel. A few rooms are inside, but the door to get to those few elite rooms are left unlocked.

The hotel is right next to train tracks, so you will hear the train.

My room had no internet access. Not just no wireless, but no internet access of any kind.

The rooms have wallpaper, but the wallpaper is starting to peel back for age.

The bathroom is beyond tiny. I could stand in the middle of the bathroom, and touch all four walls without moving.

Positives

The hotel is downtown.

They did seem to clean the room as best they could. The rooms are just very old, so it is hard to notice.

The staff were nice on arrival and departure.

• Liked — Staff Was Nice
  • Disliked — Old Rooms
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank maximusdad
Illinois
Reviewed 2 March 2008

I found this place on-line, and when we arrived, I was so excited about the looks of it. It is not your typical hotel, it has a very lovely exterior. The lobby was so welcoming. The staff was delightful from the minute we walked in the door, until the minute we checked out. Our room had parking right in front of the door. That was convenient. And our room was so cozy. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and, OH the pillows!! The breakfast has so much to choose from and was very impressive. Overall, this place was such a nice break from the typical hotel chains and if we ever come back to Springfield, we know where we will be staying!!

• Liked — The overall cozy feel of the rooms.
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank romanticbeach
des moines, IA
Reviewed 25 February 2008

A few years ago my family and I traveled to Springfield and chose the Mansion View because it was close to downtown and within walking distance of things we wanted to see. We were somewhat disappointed with the rooms, but because of the proximity I decided to give it another try when I returned to Springfield for work! All I can say is WOW...what a difference a few years make! They have remodeled and have hired wonderful staff! Our family is planning a return trip this summer to view the Abraham Lincoln Library and Museum and I have already booked our rooms at the Mansion View...if you have not been there within the last year you have got to revisit; the transformation will truly shock you!!!

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank mamao4
Illinois
Reviewed 23 January 2008

this is a nice hotel in downtown springfield. close to the tracks yes but overall the people there were very nice and the breakfast was good and the area was clean. there is a slight musty smell in the room but the bed was clean and comfy and the room was nice. the bathroom was clean but had no plug for the tub and that was my only real complaint. i will stay there again. i really enjoyed the stay there

• Liked — nice and clean
  • Disliked — no plug in the tub
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business