“Ok for one night stopover”

Route 66 Hotel And Conference Center
Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This was fine for one night stopover - clean comfy and fairly basic. No breakfast was included.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Merlins_mistress

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed here last night and found exactly what we were looking for. The rooms were clean and everything worked the way it was supposed to. The staff was friendly and check-in went smooth with no issues. The real gem of this place is the decor and that someone is willing, to take on the monumental task of preserving and improving on the past instead of just ripping it down and building new. My hats off to you Route 66 Hotel and Convention if I am ever back this way again will be back to do my small part of supporting your efforts.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ryckpen L
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We were traveling Historic Route 66 so naturally we wanted to stay at this converted Holiday Inn when we reached Springfield IL. The lobby was very nice as was the central hallway with numerous antiques displayed and stories about the original Holiday Inn along with pictures. Unfortunately, that's where the good aspects of this motel ends. The rooms which were originally all entered from the parking lot ( as was the case back in the 60's ) have now been enclosed with a glass hallway ensuring all guests enter either with a room key or through the lobby. The rooms are as they were back in the 60's except with 1 update. Since all the rooms are now enclosed in the hallway, the room air conditioners have NO outlet for the humidity in the room. All they do is cool the air in the room but they leave all the humidity. When we woke up the next morning....everything in our open suitcases and hung up in the closet was actually moist/damp! Needless to say the rooms also have a moldy odor. What a shame. What started out as a great idea to preserve a motel from the 60's ended up as a failure because they didn't spend the extra money to properly condition the air in the rooms. I would recommend stopping by to take a look inside just for the nostalgic route 66 travelers however, I would NOT spend the night unless you are traveling during the time of year you do not need to use the air conditioner.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KatieChee
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I love my room and all of the staff. I stayed there for 2 weeks and enjoyed every second of it. The diner's food was GREAT and so convenient. The staff was so friendly and made me feel right at home! I am going to stay at the Route 66 every time I am in Springfield! I would recommended this hotel to everyone!!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My brother and I needed 2 rooms for 1 night the hotel was very accomodating, when we walked into the rooms it was like walking into a beautiful bedroom, with decorative pillows and lovely bedspreads. Clean and sparkly the bathroom offers a elegant basket of Botanical shampoo/conditioner and body lotion as well as plenty of bar soap. In addition the shower was awesome and the water pressure and temperature stayed throughout my whole shower!! a plus was plenty of towels, pristine white (no "used" look there!) they were fluffy and I was in heaven. The hotel was quiet and we had a very restful evening. Not sure how any can write negative comments on this hotel!! All in All a great stay.

Room Tip: we had 2 different rooms both were wonderful
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank zootfles
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The Route 66 Hotel and Conference center is truly a unique experience for the nostalgic minded. The traveler is immediately drawn in to the decor of the "lobby," which is essentially one part lobby, one part museum, and one part curio gift shop.

Ammenities: the hotel corridors are filled with nostalgic artificact of old Route 66. Although the bathroom was recently updated (very nicely), the rooms themselves could stand an upgrade, as the carpet is worn and the beds have a relatively thin mattress. The management has updated the TVs to flat panel designs.

On-site, the hotel also offers a nostalgic cafe, which was a tasty 'greasy spoon' styled restaurant. It is highly recommended to stay here should you stay in Springfield.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank hypshark
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed this past weekend and I will say this is the worst hotel ive ever stayed in. We got a jacuzzi suite and when i went to turn it on a hair/fuzz ball came out from the drain. The hotel room itself stunk so bad. We couldnt sleep because all we did was hear people yelling up and down the hallways and the beds sucked. The place is so run down, on the outside one side is like the ghetto and the other side is the highway. We were suppose to stay two nights, but we decided we were going to stay there a second night and go find somewhere else. So i went to the front desk to tell them and they had told me that they already charged my card and there was nothing that they could do, I told the lady well im not staying in this nasty hotel another night and she had to go back and talk to the manager three times, and came back and out of nowhere was like its fine we only charged you for one night, so first of all they lied to me and the manager never had to have the balls to come out and talk to me. They didnt even offer to take any money off or appologize or anything. I will NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple