The State House Inn - an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The room was clean and not bad for the price I paid. Unfortunately there was a wedding reception being hosted there and drunk people were running through the halls screaming at night. Then the rude and bossy lady who works in the breakfast area made me feel like I was trying to renew my driver's license at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. If you need to get a good night's sleep, try a different hotel. I wouldn't stay there again at any price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LordOfTheBison

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a great place to stay. It is located close to town and many attractions, has friendly staff and systems that are traveller friendly and the rooms are clean and pleasant. There is plenty of parking.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fwhanau
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I wanted to like this place but too many things detracted from our experience.

We had been planning for some time to visit Springfield and chose this hotel as there was a TravelZoo deal that included Lincoln Museum tickets and more. The hotel looked to be very centrally located and not far from the historical sites. Even without the deal it was still cheaper than the hotels that are much closer to the museum, it depends on the person if paying at extra $30 or more a night is worth having a few less blocks to walk. We stayed for two nights.

The staff was very courteous when we checked in and the lobby very clean. Breakfast was one of the better complementary ones I've had, at least on the first day, and we did use our free drink tickets to get some wine at the No Name Lounge. It was a neat little bar but could use some newer, larger TVs.

I like the retro decor but the room badly needed repainting, there were a lot of scuff marks on the walls and some of them in unusually high places. We stayed in king suite with a separate living room and bed room and it was generally quiet except for those damn train horns (which you can probably hear anywhere in town). The lamp shades looked like they hadn't been dusted in a long time and it's long past time to toss those old energy-inefficient CRT TVs for some more current models. The fridge worked fine and had plenty of room in it, that and the microwave was nice for restaurant leftovers.

Like many reviewers we had a lot of trouble with the bed. The fitted sheet kept coming off, the bed frame was awkward, and our mattress was uncomfortable as it seemed to be sagging on her side and on my side it felt like it was slanted just enough to make me feel like I was going to roll of of the bed.

The bathroom is nice except for the shower, the water is rather hard (as evidenced by the lime scale on the shower head) and not only did it never get truly hot but it took several minutes in the morning to get hot water all the way up to the 7th floor in the first place.

On the 2nd morning when we checked out there was no express folio at our door, I had to go to the front desk to check out and make certain I hadn't received any unexpected charges (it's happened before when using vouchers like this). I was told that they didn't print those for those using the TravelZoo deal, I've used vouchers like these before at other hotels and have always received a folio like a regular customer does.

2  Thank ZerroDefex
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This reminds me of old Soviet hotels. Unless you dig the 60's Soviet look you'll be disappointed. It's a historical site but it is so ugly. We had a second floor room and the windows were small and at ceiling level. I felt like I was in a cave although it looked like heigher floors had big windows. The plus: The bed was super comfy and the room was clean. It just looked really old and out of date. The bar had limited drinks, no food but the free popcorn was a plus. The breakfast was good. It was probably one of the closest hotels to the capital but one of the furthest from the Lincoln sites. It wasn't bad, check in went fine it was just not my type of place. If you like odd hotels then its worth giving it a try. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room above the second floor.
1  Thank TraveltoseetheWorld
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were very pleased with our lodging accommodations while in Springfield. We had reserved a 2 dbl. room but were upgraded to a king suite, to our surprise. It was spotless and located at the end of a quiet hall. The bed was so comfortable we had a solid nights rest after our long drive. The breakfast was very good, lots of choices.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Nice hotel, good location across from capital in central Springfield. The Hotel's retro decor is aging and has seen better days. The staff is always friendly and the free breakfast beats Holiday Inn Express and others!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jeff m
Reviewed 15 April 2014

First, let me start by saying I absolutely dislike the décor. If you are not into 60's style décor (or like me, have trouble overcoming it when it is everywhere), this is not the hotel for you. (And yes, the hotel was remodeled.) I stayed here because I was attending a conference and was going to the Capitol which is about a block away. Check in was terrible. I tried checking in at 2:45 (between conference sessions) and was rudely and abruptly told that check in was at 4:00 and no sooner. The front desk clerk was not only snippy to me but two other people who tried to check in at the same time. The clerk did reluctantly check my bags after some sighs and face making. The room itself is okay size. The pillows really are tiny square pillows that really are not large enough for your head. The bathroom, surprisingly, was the highlight of the room. While it was narrow, it was clean, functional, tastefully done, and had Bath and Body Works soaps. Now for the train. I had read in several other reviews about the train. I had requested a room on the upper floor (which I did get) on the side of the building away from the train (which I did not get). The train whistles day and night, with sometimes whistles that seem extra long. Since I am a light sleeper, I used earplugs and ran the fan all night which helped. The morning breakfast was good and included hot items such as eggs, bacon, and potatoes. Check out was easy and the clerk was pleasant. The biggest thing this hotel has going for it is it's proximity to the Capitol. A couple of items to note: this is NOT a "No Smoking" hotel so make sure you book appropriately. Second, there are two parking lots. The one closest to the hotel is small and difficult to find a spot. The one across the street is larger, but there are not walk ways to easily get your luggage up and down curbs as well as up 5-7 steps to get into the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor and on the opposite side of the train noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business