“Great Location, Great Hotel”
Review of The State House

The State House
Ranked #9 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is two blocks SW from the Amtrak Station, five blocks from the Abraham Lincoln Museum, and two blocks from the Capitol. They feature a full breakfast buffet and friendly staff. After trying others, I'm sold on this one. This is a modern seven story building which first appears more like an office building. My only quibble was that the shower water took a long time to warm up. Highly recommended for their low prices as well.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank GordonChicago

Reviewed 19 June 2014

A great place to stay. We loved the retro style. Service was wonderful. Good prices at the " No Name Bar". Yummy breakfast buffet, especially waffles with strawberries and whipped cream! Free parking in downtown Springfield. Clean and convenient. Comfortable bed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank VKG315
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This Inn needs some upgrading, flatscreen tv would have been a welcome change, 2 sets of towel bars instead of towel hooks, replace pic in bathroom with a towel bar, shower head was way too high, needs fridge/microwave, the mattress needed replacing, but it was not terrible. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good but a pitcher of milk rather than a small carton would have sufficed. Too much milk in the carton for one bowl of cereal. Inn was within walking distance of sites to see. Would recommend Obed and Isaac's brewery for a great meal.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen M
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have stayed at the State House Inn for many years. It has, unfortunately, been on a steady decline. When we first stayed there the rooms were neat, clean and well maintained. The atmosphere and clientele were top notch. We loved the retro-feel. As the years have marched on the hotel has not held up well.

First, the rooms are dirty. I was wearing white socks and they became dark gray on the bottom from just walking around the room. When I jumped in the shower after going barefoot in the room the "dirt" that washed off my feet from the floors was gross. The mattresses need to be replaced. Ours was all crushed in and the bottom, fitted sheets refused to stay on the bed. I am a very calm sleeper but woke up on the top of the actual mattress in a rats nest of mattress pad, sheets, comforter, etc. No matter how I tried the bed would not stay "made".There are many dings, chips, marks, etc. in the rooms that are not being repaired and maintained. The TVs have a terrible picture and look like they are out of focus.The rooms are showing a lot of wear and tear and no one is keeping up on things.

Their smoking policy needs to be re-evaluated. No smoking is allowed in the hotel but both staff, guests, and governor's ballroom patrons stand outside the main entrance and smoke. One evening there were twelve people right in front of the door puffing away. It was like running a cancer gauntlet to get to my car.

We had drunks shouting in the hallways at 2 am and screaming children the afternoon before. This kind of behavior would have never happened three years ago. The clientele were quiet and respectful.

The dryers in the laundry room vent to the inside for some reason. This creates a semi-tropical environment in the laundry room. One of the two washers was broke for our entire stay.

This used to be a hotel we looked forward to staying at, but in the future we may stay somewhere else next time we are in Springfield.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lynnette J
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed here 10 years ago when visiting Springfield and found the hotel dated. However, they allowed me to stay with my small dog and didn't charge extra, so I felt ok about the property. I recently stayed there for business. No dogs allowed this time. The rooms are dingy, the bar (appropriately named "No Name Bar") looked like it had been built in the 60s, worn and depressing. The hotel has NO restaurant, only offering carry-out menues of sandwiches and pizza. The hotel is conveniently located near the Capitol, the Lincoln Museum, and the Amtrak station however all night long the trains both passenger and freight blow their horns going through Springfield at what seemed like every half hour. The one positive is that there seems to be ample free parking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TerrylJ
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Based on some mediocre to negative reviews mixed with positive reviews I did not know what to expect, I was somewhat reluctant to stay at this hotel, especially since I am accustomed to staying at five star properties, but since my stay was part of a pre-paid museum package and a birthday gift, I had no choice but stay and see what would happen.

As it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised. This hotel is incredible and I will stay again!

You can't judge a book by its cover, and sometimes, like this time the old adage applies to hotels. If I was driving around looking for a hotel, I would drive right by this one, as it has a very dated look, like a late fifties or sixties look. However, the interior has been renovated and I think the owners have done a great job of taking an older building and making the interior have a unique and tasteful design.

Look, it is not the Ritz, Waldorf or Oriental . . . but given the price, value, and location it is a fantastic property. Yes the rooms are not the size of a five star, but for two people it is comfortable. The bed was comfortable, our room was quiet, impeccably clean, and all furniture and fixtures were fresh, filly functional and well maintained. Our room was spotless.

Our room had a closet and the décor was energizing. I am a light sleeper and it was wonderfully quiet all night and the climate control functioned perfect.

Every staff member we encountered was fantastic and everyone of the staff members had awesome attitudes. The breakfast selection was great, and Yolanda was on top of everything paying attention to detail plus such a warm greeting when we arrived for breakfast.

I wish it had a pool and hot tub (how about building one in the small adjacent parking lot?) But otherwise, we couldn't have asked for anything more. This property, the wonderfully appointed interior and superb cleanliness make this a hidden gem. And the staff . . . had a fantastic work ethic, always cleaning, picking up, rearranging, creating a place of impeccable order . . . with a smile and making you feel you were highly esteemed.

Plus it is an easy walk to the Lincoln Library and Museum, Old State Capitol historic district, the state Capitol is right across the street and check out Boones Saloon a great place to eat with a great bourbon selection is only four blocks away. We enjoyed relaxing in the lounge, nice drinks and very quiet. It seems obvious that the owners really care about their guest and their team.

We stayed in room 506 May 30th 2014.

Thank you entire team at The State House Inn!

Room Tip: I think all rooms have been renovated, but to be safe ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TSM2500
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Pros: One...Good location to state capital building and museums.
Cons: Many...Very small rooms. No closets in the room. The hotel provided a clothes rack but no hangers. The clothes rack only made the room feel more cramped. The furniture were worn and some broken, one end table only had three legs, the dresser had a broken drawer that you could not get open.
The restaurant staff was very rude. The waitress scolded me for closing the lid on the buffet scrambled eggs after serving myself. She said "Didn't you hear me to leave the lid open!!"
Located closed to train tracks and heard the train's horn all night long.
Couldn't stand it any longer and checked out after the first night.
T

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple