“Stay here often” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Stay here often”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel many times on our way to or from WI. It is one block from the capital building. It is always neat and clean, as it was again last night. The hotel is decorated with furniture much like the 50s, but very tastefully done. The rooms we have had are quite small but fine for the two of us. We always have a wonderful nights sleep and a nice hot breakfast buffet included in the morning. The comfy terry robes hung in the lovely bath rooms is a real treat. t

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Before booking my room at the State House Inn I read many of the reviews here on tripadvisor. I tended to read of some negatives. Let me assure readers that any negatives about this hotel are minimal. In my opinion the rooms are spacious enough and very well maintained. The staff is professional. As for the retro design, I loved it!!! The only negative was that the corridors of the hotel were a bit on the frigid side. But really, not a big deal since one does not spend too much of their time in the corridors. As for rooms themselves, the temperature was perfect. Yes, you will hear train whistles at night. But I'm fairly certain that anywhere in downtown Springfield, you will hear them. An added positive for the small area by the lobby where one can purchase some snacks. I wish every hotel I stayed at had this convenience. Overall, a very recommended hotel to book a stay when in Springfield!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicholas R
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Receptionist Ms. K. Jones very professional and friendly. Breakfast was great with Yolanda hard worker and great person. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times and has made reservations for at least 3 visits in 2015.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
      Location
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

You'd think if you booked one of the most expensive rooms in this hotel ( the king suite), you'd be assured of hot water, no? NO. In the middle of my shower in the morning the water suddenly turned icy cold. And it was not just a "morning event" that happened when many showers were on. I also couldn't get warm water the previous afternoon, either.

When I mentioned to the manager that the water problem was unacceptable and that I thought I should be somehow compensated for the inconvenience, she was at first dismissive, then completely unapologetic, then downright rude. ( This was the female daytime manager). Another employee asked her what was going on and she told him "the water". Then she turned to me and told me that this was what to expect in this hotel. I should have turned on all of the faucets in the room for ten minutes before I showered if I wanted hot water! She finally reduced my bill $10. For $386.00 I got one warm shower in 3 days. I expect more, and you should, too.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Oak Park, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I just wanted to finish an assignment and go to sleep. I asked for a room not on the train tracks side but was placed on that side anyway. By 10:30 pm, the train whistles sounded like shrill screams. I went to the lobby and asked to be moved to a quieter room. A desk clerk promptly moved me to a room next to some young intoxicated men who had just checked in. They were still in the lobby, yelling drunkenly that the hotel bar was still open. The young men spent the whole night yelling and banging on each others doors. I kept hoping they'd pass out at some point. But at 4:30 am i had to call the front desk and report the noise. A manager came up, saw the french fries strewn in the hallway and knocked on their door. He timidly said that "some guests thought they were too loud", and the crazed youngster at the door stared at me. So now, on top of the ongoing noise (they kept it up), I had to worry that the brats might retaliate for my complaint. I thought I could at least sleep in late but by 8:30 am, housekeeping started going down the hall knocking on everyone's doors. No chance to get enough sleep, so i got up for breakfast and left. I was a zombie the next day and had to drive back to Chicago. Ive had better nights in youth hostels.

Room Tip: Away from train tracks and drunk college kids/
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HollyGoLightly046
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a special .State House Inn is very clean, plenty of towels and even terry bath robes which is rare for just the average hotel. The hot breakfast was superb . I would definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kokomo IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Good location within walking distance of most downtown attractions. The king suite was huge. Furnishings are more stylish than comfortable, unfortunately. We are not big TV watchers, but TV reception was terrible in both rooms of the suite. Where this hotel shines, though, is the staff: absolutely wonderful people all around -- front desk, breakfast room, housekeeping, bartenders. Temperature controls in each room were a little tricky to get right.

Room Tip: West side rooms overlook parking lots; east side rooms should have city views
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple