“In serious need of repairs”

Red Roof Inn Springfield
Ranked #27 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I was in a hurry to book a room and did not read all of the reviews when I booked this. When we arrived, we went ahead and stayed only because we knew it was a one night stay and just a place to lay our head before the rest of our trip. As you pull in you notice the paint peeling off of the doors or perhaps it is rust. I am not sure. But they were in serious need of repair. Inside the room, the carpet was torn in areas. I pulled back the covers as is my usual routine when walking into a hotel room to inspect and was glad to find that at least the sheets looked clean and the AC was quiet. Hubby put the luggage up against the door just because neither of us felt quite comfortable. Would not recommend.

One positive note was the nice office staff. But place needs a serious revamp.

Room Tip: Good room? Not going to find it here...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tia A

Reviewed 6 July 2014

The affable desk clerk was friendly and was quick to replace our defective remote but it was just too much to overcome!
Where to begin-- I'll be succint:
Unsafe, Unsavory fee in a remote location-- sketchy characters in the parking lot and lobby, balcony area wreeked of smoke (tobacco and otherwise!)
Hotel in a terrible state of disrepair--most doors need paint job and its worse inside: AC more of a prop than a working model, paint peeling on walls, lampshades with damage, stains, etc.
Price was cheap but our night was restless--- we should have ponied up the additional money for someplace else----piece of mind and serenity are worth paying a bit more. Unfortunately this is the worst Red Roof Inn we've stayed in. We stayed there in June and saw apparentky new fixtures wrapped in the parking lot (!) , so perhaps upgrades are on the way but too late for us to be sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MrMonkey2001
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Arrangements made by other person in my party and we stayed at the RRI in Springfield IL 62703. This place is a dump and should have been torn down years ago. Paint is coming off in sheets on every door to each room. First night the police had to come to the room next door to stop a drunken fight at midnight. Empty beer cans littered the hallway and parking lot the next morning. Second night relatively uneventful. Third night I began to notice that I was being eaten alive by darn bed bugs and I now have swelling itching red bites all over my body and had to fumigate all my clothing and baggage when I got home. The room is well worn and needs remodeling. I felt like I was in a time warp back to 1958. Internet service was unreliable. A dead cat lay in the street in front of the lobby the whole three days I was there. The worst lodging experience I have had in all my years of traveling. One heck of a miserable experience. If you are looking for a dreadful "Bates Motel" lodging experience this is the place for you. Personally, I would have been better off sleeping in my rental car for three nights. This place sucks.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank trailmaster2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My stay was pet friendly. At Red Roof the hotel was quiet surroundings easy road access the mattress was comfortable. The furnishings were older but the room was clean I did not realize my door was to the outside like in the old days but it was $30 + less expensive not so much for a family but for a busy traveler after 2 nights the 3 rd night is free

Room Tip: No pool or fitness center. Front desk very nice
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We arrived late on a Friday evening. We had booked a room online through a travel site. When checking I verified that we had a non-smoking room. After getting to the room come to find out we shared a wall with a smoking room and there were ashed all over the nightstand, the room smelled of smoke, and there was quite a bit of garbage behind the night stand. The sheets appeared to be clean, but the toliet had what appeared to be cigarette burns on the seat, and the top didn't find the toliet tank and appeared to be a replacement. We only stayed one night. Only good thing I can say is this place was cheap.

When checking in I had to wait at the front counter for the clerk to finish counting down his drawer in front of me. He said it was off money. I waited probably 5 mins or so. Suprised to see this happening right at the counter and that he didn't pause to help someone checking in late that wanted to get their room.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank harborgal_chi
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My favorite part was the nice gentleman who checked us in. He was very friendly and got us checked into our room quickly. The room was fairly clean, bed was typical of RRI, water pressure was better than normal. The room was kind of small...but we didn't spend a lot of time there anyway. We had dinner at a wonderful restaurant just down the road called Abe's Hideout. We stayed 2 nights...both very quiet. Although they were pretty full we were able to park close to our room. Housekeeping did a great job replenishing towels and making beds. It was a great place to sleep and shower. We will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank camich
Reviewed 6 June 2014

If this is the only port in the storm, take it otherwise go a short distance to find comfortable surroundings. The air conditioner/heater was broken. Bed were falling apart. Pillows not worth calling pillows. The brochure says flat screen TV were to be installed by August 2013, maybe they got confused by the calendar. I will not stay under a Red Roof again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family