“Located next to the convention center”

President Abraham Lincoln Springfield - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Chicago, Illinois
“Located next to the convention center”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were at the hotel attending a two day conference. The hotel is located next to and directly connected to the convention center, so the convenience is there. Lindsay's Restaurant and The Globe are located on the first floor and Lindsay's has pretty good food. The bar is a bit on the intimate side, but depending on the convention, I'm sure that it can pick up. When you check in, you are given a big chocolate chip cookie, which is certainly a nice touch. The reception staff is very friendly and able to answer your questions. The room was more than adequate and the king-sized bed was comfortable. We wondered why there wasn't a safe in the room, since I'm sure convention goers don't necessarily want to walk around with some of their stuff. Also, there was no closet, but we did have a small fridge.
We did notice a couple of problems that did lower our rating. First, the WiFi, though free, was absolutely horrible. Whether on my Android or on my laptop, neither would stay connected and were difficult to access. The hotel home page (for guests) always seemed to pop up and there didn't seem an easy way to get rid of it. In the first floor bathroom, I did notice a couple of gnats and some others mentioned that they had seen them elsewhere, as well. Not all that irritating, but something that should be addressed. The last thing was the parking lot check-out. I have never had so much trouble getting out of an enclosed parking station, though I did find out that it is actually run by the City of Springfield, so why should I be surprised that a government-run parking lot is screwed up. The help button connects you to a phone with a recorded message. Exiting the lot was a real challenge and considering the fact that everything I found said that parking was $7.00 per day, getting charged $25.00 for less than 48 hours, especially with not going in or out, seemed a bit ridiculous. The reception desk did say that they have no control over anything to do with the parking lot.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
cruiseking15, General Manager at President Abraham Lincoln Springfield - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Allen 20196,

Thank you for your review. I really appreciate the depth and detail you provided. I will be addressing your concerns with the appropriate staff and pass along your comments on the garage to the people managing it. We hope that you will have another opportunity to stay with us in the future, we would love to have you back.

Bob V,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

It appears this property is frequented by those who attend conferences in the adjacent convention center. As such, this property can be busy and loud.

The rooms are nice, although our room (#517) had a large stain on the carpet, and toilet was in need of repair (difficult to flush). The bowl itself was extremely scratched up, which gave me the impression someone had a really rough stay, and the bowl needed to be snaked.

The hotel is in a great location, and is situated within walking distance of the Lincoln Home, the Lincoln museum and library, and many bars and restaurants.

I also found the Globe Tavern to be a nice option for a nightcap. The bartender was very friendly and was very knowledgable about the area.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Fish Durango,

Thank you for your review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our location and our Globe Bar. I have addressed the two issues that you mentioned in your guest room. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We only stayed one night but the staff was excellent. Room very clean and fresh. We also x. enjoyed a nice reasonably priced meal at Bennigan's. We would definitely return to this hotel. Very good location and within walking distance of everything.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan N
cruiseking15, General Manager at President Abraham Lincoln Springfield - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Susan N,

Thank you for your very complimentary review. I was happy to read that you loved our location and most importantly your stay!

Franklin, IN
Reviewed 24 July 2014

From your confirmation greeting, the promise of a warm chocolate chip cookie upon arrival...fulfilled!;friendliness of staff; cleanliness of facilities, availability of the Gideon Bible; convenience to convention site; good food, amenities in the room... Thank you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Daear Jerry Jo C,

Thank you so much for your very kind review. I was so pleased to read that we exceeded your expectations in deliverying warm and caring service. We hope to welcome you and your family back next time you visit Springfield!

Springfield, United States
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Our experience with the hotel itself was excellent except that the room wasn't ready when we got there at 5:00, but they quickly put us in a different room. The hotel rooms were very clean and the staff was very accommodating! Our children loved the free warm chocolate chip cookies as well. The only big complaint that I have is with the hotel restaurant. DO NOT EAT THERE!!! On our second night at the hotel the restaurant offered a Italian buffet. First off there was not enough food to accommodate everyone that ordered this. Secondly, it tasted as if they just dumped a jar of tomato sauce out of a jar and warmed it up. The salad bar was never stocked so we all could get a salad. Definitely not worth the $10 per meal. So as a group we decided to give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt and went again and ordered off of the menu. Well, again that was a mistake! I ordered a cheeseburger - thinking it is pretty hard to mess up a cheeseburger. I ordered mine well done, and came out with the outside just browned and VERY pink on the inside. I could not eat it and because we were running late for our conference, I did not have the time to send it back to the kitchen. This meal was the most expensive meal of our whole entire stay of 5 days, for a family of 5 - the total cost was over $50 - and we all ordered burgers. The restaurant across the street was so much better, better selection, better quality and better service!! I would recommend the hotel but not the restaurant!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Amy K,,

Thank you for your review. I really appreciated reading all of your comments. Happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel but dissapointed in reading of your experience in the restaurant. I am aware of the difficulties we encountered on the night you ate in Lindsays. We were not prepared for the large number of guests we had that evening which resulted in less than the standard great food and service we usually provide.
I hope that the next time you are in Springfield that you will give us another opportunity to serve you and provide the quality that you expect in the restaurant.

Bob V
Bartlett, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Greeted by front desk upon arrival. Will at front desk was more than happy to get my girls and I a room with a view of the Capitol. We loved it! Nice and clean room. Very quiet. My girls loved the fresh fruit in the water in the lobby! Beautiful lobby area. Will be back!

Stayed July 2014
cruiseking15, General Manager at President Abraham Lincoln Springfield - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Valerie W.

Thank you for you rkind review. I was very happy to read that our front desk agent, Will, gave you and your girls a room with a view. Hopefully you and the girls had at least one of our famous chocolate chip cookies. Hope to see you soon!

Alum Bank, U.S. Virgin Islands
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Had a very nice stay, everything was great from check-in to check-out. Room was extremely clean, very nice and comfortable. Love the cookies at check in! On our last morning we discovered I had left an interior light on in my car and the battery was dead. My husband was able to get help quickly, not sure who all assisted him, but especially Paul the valet/bellman was a huge help, we so appreciated his extra assistance. Thank you for making our stay very relaxing!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Amber Z,

Thank you for your great review. I was really happy to hear about your experience with our staff when your car battery went on the fritz. Paul does an excellent job and he and I both appreciate you mentioning him by name. Please come back and visit us again!