“Excellent stay but is it art or is it an eye sore?”

Wyndham Springfield City Centre
Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I spent two nights here so I can explored historical Springfield. The room was clean, bedding smell fresh, carpet was clean and I had a great view of the Capitol and Union Square/Station. I ordered room service on both nights and outside of being slightly pricey, the food was quite good. The internet service was good and strong. The odd shape room didn't bother me and outside of few sirens below, the hotel was quiet, comfortable and I had a perfect night sleep both night. If I have to make ONE complaint, the window of my hotel room was pretty dirty. (And no free breakfast....whine..)

Although you have to pay for parking, it wasn't much at all to consider. The lobby staff proves to be friendly and professional. They made me feel very welcome and provided answers to some of my touristy questions with patience. That is a credit to the management.

I asked the people around the historical area if they thought this hotel was an compliment or an eye sore. There were a lot of non-verbal communication that implied some displeasure.

But it is located ideally in historical Springfield. It is within walking distance of virtually everywhere you wish to go in Springfield outside of Lincoln's Tomb and the Military Museum.

I had an excellent stay and I will return here again if I should ever come back to Springfield.

Room Tip: There is no real bad room but obviously, higher the floor, better the view....as long as the windows...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
MFear, Manager at Wyndham Springfield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

SirHoot,
We like to think our building structure is "art". Afterall, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? This may be the reason for the mixed reviews.

I am more delighted about the fact you enjoyed your stay and had time to visit the many sights located around us. We would love to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,252)

Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our room was high up in this sky-rise type hotel but some sort of conference area must have been above our room. Both nights there were loud continuous sounds of carts rolling across the floor lasting until after 1 am. It was as loud as thunder. It was difficult to sleep both nights. The very expensive restaurant served us overly salty steaks and sides. The quality of the side dish was no more impressive than a buffet side dish that had been sitting in a buffet cart all day.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Robin N.,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm not sure what you were hearing during the night. Your room was on the 27th floor. Additional guestrooms are located above and below. I wish we knew this was a problem. We would have been happy to relocate you somewhere else in the hotel.

I apologize your meal in our restaurant wasn't up to your taste. When cooking our steaks we use very little seasoning. Our sauces and sides are meant to compliment your entree. Additionally, we would have been happy to replace the sides you ordered as these were not to your taste.

It is our goal to offer clean and quiet accommodations and restaurant options to your liking. We hope you will try us again in the future and you will let us know when we are not meeting your expectations. We will do everything we can to esure your stay is exceptional.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

I always stay at this hotel when I am on business trips and have been for years. The rooms are always very clean, the beds are super comfortable and I always feel safe. I really enjoy my stay there. Food is just a few steps away or room service is an excellent option. I strongly recommend this hotel. My visit last week, I could not find an ice machine on the floor I was on. I do remember where it was located on this floor but it was gone. After walking around the entire floor on the way back to my room, I saw a hotel employee who told me to go to the 5th floor. Weird but sure enough there was an ice machine. I have to admit I was somewhat annoyed by this at the time but it is not that big of a deal, otherwise as always I had an excellent stay that never fails to exceed my expectations.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
MFear, Manager at Wyndham Springfield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Elizabeth H,
First let me thank you for being a loyal customer. I am delighted to hear you have choosen us as "your home away from home". I would like to invite you to enroll in our Hilton Honors program. I believe you would enjoy the benefits membership would offer you after only a few stays. Signing you up is quick and easy. It only takes a few minutes the next time you are in town. We look forward to having you with us again soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

This review is based on a one-night stay in late October 2013 in a double queen non-smoking suite.

This hotel was chosen based on a recommendation from a friend and it's proximity to the capitol building. The location proved to be an asset as I could easily walk to the capitol and other sites in the downtown area. The hotel itself also can serve as a beacon since it can be seen from a distance (height and shape) if you venture away from the area.

Upon checking in I was immediately greeted by friendly front-desk staff. I was informed about the parking policy ($8/day with in/out privileges) at the attached garage and was assigned a suite on the 3rd floor.

The room was quite large with two queen beds, 1 large full bathroom and 1 half-bath/powder room, a sofa, recliner, coffee table, desk, and dresser. I was impressed with the size of the suite, and it was obviously fitted to be ADA accessible (wide entry, roll-in shower, large bathroom, etc). The room itself was very clean, however, there was an odor of stale cigarette smoke even though it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. Other than the odor, there were no complaints with the room. The room offered free wi-fi service for internet access. The mattresses, pillows, and linens on the beds were all comfortable, and there was no discernible noise from outside the room during the night. It was a peaceful stay.

For breakfast I tried the hot buffet/continental breakfast in the Highland Room off the lobby of the hotel. The restaurant served standard breakfast fare: scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, various breads for toasting, cereals, fruit, etc. The food was fine and the drink service was friendly and attentive.

I would readily recommend this hotel for anyone staying in Springfield due to its proximity to local attractions, the friendly service, and the comfortable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
MFear, Manager at Wyndham Springfield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

MC075,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a detailed reveiw of your stay. I am delighted to hear your stay was comfortable and our staff was accommodating. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Nice amenities, but in need of some updating. Dinner at restaurant on the top was great. Also had an omelet at the place downstairs, and it was good. Rooms are shaped oddly, but that is due to the shape of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MFear, Manager at Wyndham Springfield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

JayHTexas,
Thank you for staying with us. We are an oddly shaped hotel, this is part of our charm. Because we are the tallest building in Springfield, you will not have a problem finding your way back after a day of sightseeing. This oddly shaped building brings us the unbelieveable views of Springfield from all our guest rooms. And helps create the incredible ambiance in Nick and Nino's Restaurant on the 30th floor. We continually strive to deliver top notch service and amenities. To this end we are in the process of updating our guestrooms. You will see a new look soon. Please visit us again and let us know what you think of the changes.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Service at this hotel is above and beyond - if you are visiting Springfield for business or leisure, this is the place to stay. We arrived late-ish and were met by the hotel shuttle with keycards in hand so that we could make it to dinner before restaurants closed -- a first. Everyone here is welcoming and thoughtful - it feels like such a team that I am reluctant to use the term "staff". It's a large hotel yet people recognized us and welcomed us by name on multiple occasions. This hotel makes me wish i had more reasons to stay in Springfield! I hope Hilton corporate takes whatever model they're using and applies it to other properties. I genuinely wish I could give this property more than five stars!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
MFear, Manager at Wyndham Springfield City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

JeffRodi,
Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. it is so nice to hear we were able to meet your expectations. We look forward to having you with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed at the Hilton for a weekend so we could visit the Lincoln Museum. The hotel is in the heart of downtown Springfield and we walked the two blocks to the museum. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The restaurant at the top of the hotel is fabulous. The views from there...wow! The chef came out and spoke to us personally. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

rxteach,
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy to hear your took time to eat at Nick and Nino's on the 30th floor. We hope to see you again soon.