“Book 2 rooms and had to splint our family on 2 different floors stayed on feb 17- 20 th” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Springfield

Crowne Plaza Springfield
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Crystal Lake, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

We book through priceline which the price was good. We check in and the lady gave us a suite 1213. My girls were very excited till we got to the room. A ladder and a huge hole in the ceiling is what we found. I went back downstairs and after waiting the lady told us I'm sorry but you weren't suppose to get that room and gave us a regular room. My girls and I were very upset. You didn't even offer us anything fOr your mistake. Plus we couldn't get 2 rooms on the same floor!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Sueneace
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
I apologize on behalf of the front desk for putting you in the incorrect room. I will further ensure that our Engineering department has the rooms properly out of order when maintenance is necessary. We strive to honor each of our guest request, but occasionally sold out nights and large conferences can make it challenging to do so. I do apologize that we were not able to keep your family together on the same floor during your visit to Springfield.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. Since I was not actually paying for the stay (my company was), I was hesitant to give a negative review. However, I could not ignore the recurring disappointments during my stay. I went to purchase a soft drink in the gift shop in the lobby and the attendant said "Is that all you are getting?". I found that to be rude. When I tried to pay with my company Amex, she said "we don't take Amex because it costs too much to process the charges but you can pay with cash". I find it hard to believe that a hotel that caters to to business travelers and touts themselves as the 'ultimate convention space" does not accept Amex.

Second, the fitness room at the hotel has 1 treadmill - even though on their website, they advertise "treadmils". How can a hotel that has hundreds of rooms only provide 1 treadmill in their fitness center?

The first morning of my stay, I was alarmed to discover that there was no hot water in the hotel. Not only did the hotel not inform me of this in advance (even though they admitted they had received multiple calls about it), but they didn't offer to comp any part of my stay or offer anything to make up for it. So, after taking a cold shower, I realized I had forgotten to bring toothpaste. There was a sign in the bathroom that said they would be happy to bring any forgotten toiletries up to the room, complimentary. When I called and asked for them to send up toothpaste, they said that I would have to come downstairs and get it myself. I was dripping wet and freezing and not about to trek through the lobby in that condition.

I checked out of the hotel but was sent back the next week by my company. I decided to give the hotel a second chance. Big mistake,

Upon checking back into the hotel 4 DAYS AFTER MY DEPARTURE, I found out that the hotel STILL did not have hot water. Not only that, but the receptionist didn't mention that when I checked in. I had to specifically ask if there was hot water. I find it unacceptable that a hotel would not pre-warn guests checking in that there is no hot water in the hotel.

After arriving at my room, I was confronted by a knock on the door by someone asking to enter my room and check the smoke detector. The person did not identify them as hotel staff or who they were affiliated with. As a single female traveling alone, I was not about to let some stranger enter my room. Further, it seems outrageous to me that the hotel would allow this sort of behavior.

Later that night, I called room service to order a bowl of fruit. The man on the phone stated "What is up with everyone wanting fruit today?"?!? I would rather them have taken my order without any personal commentary.

Finally, upon checking out, I attempted to print off my boarding pass and found that neither printer was working. I can't say that I was surprised.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't usually complain if I am not the one footing the bill, but to have so many negative experiences in such a short time (and on repeat visits) has to be a red flag. I would suggest staying at another hotel in the area (there are multiple ones) for half the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid hearing road noise. They are close to a freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am terribly sorry to read that you had so many problems while staying with us, but thank you for bringing them to my attention. I will follow up with the front desk as well as the restaurant staff to ensure we are providing a higher level of customer service and professionalism. Please do not feel the front desk staff was trying to mislead you in regards to our hot water. The hotel was not completely without hot water, but had a maintenance issue that was not allowing us to provide continuous hot water. That problem has been addressed and corrected. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I bought sat night stay at $65 plus 15 tax, crown website said $145 for same night in lowest category of room! Search 3 star in Springfield and this is only participating hotel in Springfield, IL. Not worth 150 plus tax! I can stay in downtown Chicago for less than that. Went to Lincoln museum and that was great!

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on such a great rate! Utilizing Our Best Price Guarantee at CrownePlaza.com, we guarantee the lowest published rate and you receive valuable Priority Club points from our award winning guest recognition program. Please, don't hesitate to contact us if you find a published lower rate online. We would be happy to honor it.
Waterman, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed 1 night here during a business conference. Front desk staff was fast and helpful. I didn't know what to think when I walked into my room and there were ear plugs and an eye mask on the bed, although it was a nice touch. Room service for breakfast was right on time and the muffin was still warm when it got to me! One of the elevator doors made a horrible noise every time it opened which got annoying and I was 6 rooms away from it. The hotel is definately geared towards conventions. The room was clean, but chilly. The thermostat with fan on the wall did not work correctly. The TV channel selection seemed to be lacking for a high class hotel. Overall, a good stay but wouldn't want to pay the price I did to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Thank you for your review and kind words regarding our front desk and room service staff. I will work with our Engineering department to make sure the elevator doors are not operating too loudly. I hope you will consider our hotel for your next visit to Springfield.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

Expensive let down! We booked an executive suite at over 300 dollars a night with breakfast.Plus 2 regular rooms. Where do I start was it the 1980 decor that hadnt been dusted since then. Or with the black mold spot over the bed? They switched us to a new room.but decided to change out TV while we were still in the rooms! So the new room had only heat! To make up for moving a third time they gave us 20 crowne dollars! The restaurant has the same quality food!! Big let down.

• Stayed January 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
I apologize that we were not able to provide you with a better experience. I have communicated your comments to our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer, and will work with them to ensure any updates are made. Again, I apologize that we did not deliver the experience you should expect from a Crowne Plaza.
Virden, il
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here one night on 12/30/11 with our three children for just a quick, fun night away. We had booked a standard room and upon check-in decided to upgrade to a suite. All they had remaining was a smoking suite but the room absolutely did not smell of smoke. Check-in was very quick and professional. We had room service pizza for dinner which was delicious! The in room movie I felt was very pricey at $13, but it has been years since we ordered an on demand movie so I'm not sure if that cost is typical or not. Our room service breakfast the next morning was very, very good. The pool was warm and well maintained. The hot tub was large and in great condition. The sauna was very nice but as some previous travelers noted, it could use a good scrubbing. There was never a long wait for an elevator. Our room was AMAZING! The beds were so comfortable. The kids loved the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. We had an even numbered room so our view of the city was great. We had no issues connecting to wi-fi and because we are Priority Club members it was free of charge. We also had a late 2:00 check-out due to being Priority Club members. All staff was extremely helpful, professional and courteous. Our family LOVES this hotel and we will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: If you want a city view, request an even numbered room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Thank you for the great review! I am pleased to read you had such a great stay. Your kind words regarding the hotel and staff truly means a lot. Thank you for 5 stars!
Gateway Arch Area St Louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

Stayed here for one night on a Saturday.

I ate at the Prime Rib buffet in the restaurant. This was originally one of the best things going in Springfield. Not anymore. The choices for the buffet are not as good as they once were and the price for this buffet ($32+) is closer to the price you would expect to find in a much nicer, high end restaurant in a much bigger city. Come on, this is Springfield, IL not Chicago or Saint Louis.

The girl at the front desk was extremely efficient and had me check in with keys in about 2 minutes. I had to ask for a room with an updated flat screen TV or I would have been stuck with a 1990's model. Pay per view programming for some movies was $16.99. I can't imagine paying this much money for a movie and then having to watch it on an outdated television.

The thing that was most upsetting during this visit was the WiFi. I had a decent signal but when I called the front desk to get the access code I was informed that it would cost extra for the WiFi. This extra charge was in the tune of $9.95 per day. That is right, $10 extra per night for something that most hotels offer for no charge. I was told that I could use the computer on the second floor with no charge but that wasn't really very convenient when all the programs and files I needed were on my computer on the desk in my room.

The high prices this hotel charges for the small extras left a bad taste in my mouth. Had the dinner, movies and WiFi prices been reasonable rather then outrageous, I probably wouldn't have been so unhappy. I'm sure others who have visited this hotel, left feeling the same way.

This would be a decent place to stay if you got discounted rates. (over rated and over priced) there are much better options in Springfield.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank capitalpyro
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
I apologize that we did not provide you with the value you should expect from a Crowne Plaza. We are in the process of making some updates that we feel our guests will much enjoy. During the 1st week of January, we will be installing 42’’ TV’s in all of our rooms. In addition, we are currently offering free high speed internet to all of our Priority Club members. Priority Club is an IHG program that is completely free of charge and is easy to sign up. I hope that you will consider staying with us in the future. We truly appreciate your business. Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your visit.