“a ghost town”

Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Gulf Breeze, Florida
“a ghost town”
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I came to the Crowne while attending an event down town. I couldve stayed at the Hilton, the Lincoln, or a couple of Marriott's. But no I chose the Crowne Plaza.
The front Desk clerk was very nice and polite, but she was doing everything alone, with no one to help answer phones or anything. While I was checking in, the phone was continuously ringing. She kept saying Im sorry for the interruptions, and did the best she could do considering.

The restuarant had a great buffet, and the atmosphere was great. but there was absolutely no other staff to help the waitress. She seated us, took our order, cleaned off the other tables around us and delivered the food. I wondered if she went back and cooked it too!

The maid was very polite but when we called for some extra towels that evening, she was the only maid on duty, so she had to deliver a bunch of other things before she could get to us.

When we asked for a ride down town, we were told that the shuttle only ran to the airport and train station, so they couldnt ask the bellman to drive us there, but I think the bell man was the security guard too. I have to wonder if this hotel only hires women, not that thats a problem, because they did a great job, but there is seriously a management problem here. No one there to help these women make this hotel a the fantastic place that it could be! It really was a ghost town when it came to proper staffing.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the lower level so that those who are trying to help you dont have as far to...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Thank you for your review. I appreciate your kind words regarding the staff, and do apologize if we seemed to be under staffed during the time of your visit. We staff each department with the intentions of having the ability to provide exceptional customer service. I apologize if we did not provide the level of service you should expect from a Crowne Plaza. Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chester, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I was one of only a handful of guests who stayed at the Crowne the night it opened many years ago. Since I travel on many occasions for my job, I have stayed at the hotel many times on business and have always loved the hotel. Never really had a reason to complain other than a minor issue or two. The rooms are always clean and staff very accomodating. Recently, I had to be in S'Field for business and met some family at the hotel, so had several rooms. Lindsay, the desk clerk, was super nice and very efficient. She certainly had patience and worked with me when I asked to change a room to a different location, etc. The only negative is that the hotel was filled with children. Loud kids in the hallways, banging doors. At least they went to bed fairly early. I am a club card member in very good standing, but did not get a morning paper nor were there any ear plugs, etc., in any of the rooms we occupied. There was no indication of a "quiet zone" although Lindsay tried to place us on floors and locations that might be LESS noisy but all around us were couples with 2-3 kids or more. I am a really light sleeper and went to bed fairly early somewhat tense thinking that I would not get much sleep. Actually it was farily quiet except from 1:30 a.m. to 2:30 a.m. when a couple next door or across the hall had a "knock down--drag out" fight. They were screaming at each other, leaving their room, slammng the door, hollering no so nice language, etc. I finally called security and after a bit I didn't hear any more from them. Other than the rooms needing a face lift, the hotel is really nice and the bartenders/servers in the lounge and restaurant were all very nice and helpful. I give "Lindsay" an A-plus for being so helpful when I checked in. My only advice is that if you want to enjoy a quiet night, I would not recommend staying there on a Saturday. I believe that many local couples and children stay there for the advantage of the indoor pool. There were not nearly enough chairs at the pool area and we had to sit on the floor. All chaise lounge chairs and tables were taken. This was about 3:30 on Saturday afternoon. The pool was full of kids. On a week night, I will always go back to the Crowne Plaza when I am in Springfield, but will insist on a room (or rooms) in a "quiet zone" which they used to have at the hotel. Wonder why it is no longer available?

Room Tip: High floor....quiet zone (if they decide to reinstate an area like that) or unless you have children...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank symonelss
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and staff. I can not wait to share your review with Lindsay! This is the kind of feedback the front desk strives to hear. I apologize for the rowdy kids as I know exactly which group you are referring to. We have dedicated our 10th and 11th floors to be a quiet zone, but unfortunately the kids group was so large they occupied those floors as well. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to your return!
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Staff was very rude! Rosewood brunch was a joke! Bartenders at the mahogany bar and grill were more intrested in doing shots with their friends, then taking care of customers needs. Our room was dusty, pubic hair was in our shower. Would not reccomend!!

• Stayed February 2012
I apologise for the lack of service and cleanliness. I assure you these issues have been addressed accordingly with my staff. If you would like to contact me regarding these issues, I would certainly appreciate your feedback. As disapointed as I am to read about your expereince, your feedback is what helps us improve and provide the quality our guest have come to love.

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We book through priceline which the price was good. We check in and the lady gave us a suite 1213. My girls were very excited till we got to the room. A ladder and a huge hole in the ceiling is what we found. I went back downstairs and after waiting the lady told us I'm sorry but you weren't suppose to get that room and gave us a regular room. My girls and I were very upset. You didn't even offer us anything fOr your mistake. Plus we couldn't get 2 rooms on the same floor!!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Sueneace
I apologize on behalf of the front desk for putting you in the incorrect room. I will further ensure that our Engineering department has the rooms properly out of order when maintenance is necessary. We strive to honor each of our guest request, but occasionally sold out nights and large conferences can make it challenging to do so. I do apologize that we were not able to keep your family together on the same floor during your visit to Springfield.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. Since I was not actually paying for the stay (my company was), I was hesitant to give a negative review. However, I could not ignore the recurring disappointments during my stay. I went to purchase a soft drink in the gift shop in the lobby and the attendant said "Is that all you are getting?". I found that to be rude. When I tried to pay with my company Amex, she said "we don't take Amex because it costs too much to process the charges but you can pay with cash". I find it hard to believe that a hotel that caters to to business travelers and touts themselves as the 'ultimate convention space" does not accept Amex.

Second, the fitness room at the hotel has 1 treadmill - even though on their website, they advertise "treadmils". How can a hotel that has hundreds of rooms only provide 1 treadmill in their fitness center?

The first morning of my stay, I was alarmed to discover that there was no hot water in the hotel. Not only did the hotel not inform me of this in advance (even though they admitted they had received multiple calls about it), but they didn't offer to comp any part of my stay or offer anything to make up for it. So, after taking a cold shower, I realized I had forgotten to bring toothpaste. There was a sign in the bathroom that said they would be happy to bring any forgotten toiletries up to the room, complimentary. When I called and asked for them to send up toothpaste, they said that I would have to come downstairs and get it myself. I was dripping wet and freezing and not about to trek through the lobby in that condition.

I checked out of the hotel but was sent back the next week by my company. I decided to give the hotel a second chance. Big mistake,

Upon checking back into the hotel 4 DAYS AFTER MY DEPARTURE, I found out that the hotel STILL did not have hot water. Not only that, but the receptionist didn't mention that when I checked in. I had to specifically ask if there was hot water. I find it unacceptable that a hotel would not pre-warn guests checking in that there is no hot water in the hotel.

After arriving at my room, I was confronted by a knock on the door by someone asking to enter my room and check the smoke detector. The person did not identify them as hotel staff or who they were affiliated with. As a single female traveling alone, I was not about to let some stranger enter my room. Further, it seems outrageous to me that the hotel would allow this sort of behavior.

Later that night, I called room service to order a bowl of fruit. The man on the phone stated "What is up with everyone wanting fruit today?"?!? I would rather them have taken my order without any personal commentary.

Finally, upon checking out, I attempted to print off my boarding pass and found that neither printer was working. I can't say that I was surprised.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't usually complain if I am not the one footing the bill, but to have so many negative experiences in such a short time (and on repeat visits) has to be a red flag. I would suggest staying at another hotel in the area (there are multiple ones) for half the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor to avoid hearing road noise. They are close to a freeway.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
I am terribly sorry to read that you had so many problems while staying with us, but thank you for bringing them to my attention. I will follow up with the front desk as well as the restaurant staff to ensure we are providing a higher level of customer service and professionalism. Please do not feel the front desk staff was trying to mislead you in regards to our hot water. The hotel was not completely without hot water, but had a maintenance issue that was not allowing us to provide continuous hot water. That problem has been addressed and corrected. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your stay.
Chicago
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I bought sat night stay at $65 plus 15 tax, crown website said $145 for same night in lowest category of room! Search 3 star in Springfield and this is only participating hotel in Springfield, IL. Not worth 150 plus tax! I can stay in downtown Chicago for less than that. Went to Lincoln museum and that was great!

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on such a great rate! Utilizing Our Best Price Guarantee at CrownePlaza.com, we guarantee the lowest published rate and you receive valuable Priority Club points from our award winning guest recognition program. Please, don't hesitate to contact us if you find a published lower rate online. We would be happy to honor it.
Waterman, Illinois
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed 1 night here during a business conference. Front desk staff was fast and helpful. I didn't know what to think when I walked into my room and there were ear plugs and an eye mask on the bed, although it was a nice touch. Room service for breakfast was right on time and the muffin was still warm when it got to me! One of the elevator doors made a horrible noise every time it opened which got annoying and I was 6 rooms away from it. The hotel is definately geared towards conventions. The room was clean, but chilly. The thermostat with fan on the wall did not work correctly. The TV channel selection seemed to be lacking for a high class hotel. Overall, a good stay but wouldn't want to pay the price I did to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Thank you for your review and kind words regarding our front desk and room service staff. I will work with our Engineering department to make sure the elevator doors are not operating too loudly. I hope you will consider our hotel for your next visit to Springfield.