“Disappointed by smoking/no smoking policy”

Crowne Plaza Springfield
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Macomb, Illinois
“Disappointed by smoking/no smoking policy”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've been attending a conference that's held here for four years now, staying at this location three out of those four times. Each time it has been a wonderful stay, and I often read picky reviews about lighting, outdated decor, etc... all things I don't care about. But I did request a no-smoking room, as I always do, and got a room on the 10th floor. It was apparent on my arrival to that floor, that the floor had smoking rooms in it. My room is just several feet from rooms where smoking is allowed, and this is immediately noticeable when you depart from the elevators, and even when I'm closed in my room I can smell the smoke.
This in my opinion is unacceptable, especially in a state that has banned smoking from indoor areas like restaurants. It is unacceptable that I reserved a no-smoking room and got a quite smokey room. The staff offered to move me, but as a presenter at this conference, and traveling by myself, I have lots of luggage, and a move at this point in my stay would be more trouble than it's worth.
I don't know what world this hotel management lives in where smoke stays inside one room of a multi-room building and does not travel through the air into nearby areas.

Room Tip: Inquire about smoking on different levels of the building, and you'll have a much more comfortab...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AgriWife
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I apologize that you received a non-smoking room and the challenge of smoke in your room. With the ventilation that has been installed, it is seldom we receive negative feedback about the floor. Thank you for noting that all of your previous stays have been enjoyable. Our front desk is more than willing to work with our guests in finding a room or floor that they prefer. Thank you for staying with us on your trips to Springfield.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Braidwood, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My experience with the Hotel Registration staff was outstanding. I had several self imposed issues to address about my stay, and the front desk never faltered to offer their expertise and to prepare resolutions. I was particularly impressed with Nikki Inman, who seemed to ALWAYS be at the front desk, no matter what time I came with questions. In my brief time, she was able to split my bill over two accounts (which I asked for), to extend our checkout time because of a late ending session(which I asked for) and held on to my debit card which I left at the front desk until I came back to claim it!! Crowne Plaza was well represented by their staff!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I will be happy to share your review with Nikki. I am happy we were able to successfully resolve the challenges you had during your visit. This is a great review to share with the team! Thank you
Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed two nights for a conference. Beautiful facility. Great location convenient to I55 and I72. Short trip to downtown and Springfield attractions. Surrounded by all the chain eateries. Hotel is impeccable. There is a nice 14th floor pool, spa and sauna and outdoor patio with a view, for what its worth. Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. HDTV. Pay for Wifi. Conference facilities are good and catered meals were high quality. Friendly, helpful staff. Great location for your conference.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for the great review!! We truly appreciate you taking the time to recognize so many positive characteristics of our hotel. We hope you will consider the Crowne Plaza during your next trip to Springfield, IL.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for a conference late September early October. Fortunately we received a deep discount because of the conference. I think the hotel had been updated but it seemed pretty tired.

We did not eat in the restaurant only at conference sponsored events which is why I felt compelled to write this review. The food was surprising horrible. I have been to lots of conferences and I can't ever remember anything this bad.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
I apologize the food was not more appeasing during your conference. I have shared your review with our Executive Chef to address.
Thank you for noting our upgrades. We have recognized that there our some areas of our hotel that have become "tired", and we will continue to make the updates needed to be the best hotel in the Springfield area.

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights for a conference the beginning of Oct. I had a room on the 9th fl. with an adjoining door which was clean, spacious and quiet. The mattress was comfortable however, the sheets made a loud, crinkly sound which took several hours to get used to the first night; I have no idea what the sheets were made of and I've never encountered this sound from sheets before. Entering and exiting the bathroom I had to be careful because the carpet in the doorway was curled up exposing the tack strip and once I forgot and stepped on the tacks. The spout on the coffee pot was cracked. The elevators were slow to arrive. Had I not gotten a deep conference discount on the room I would have been very disappointed in the hotel but as it was a discounted room my experience was satisfactory. There are plenty of low to moderate priced major chain restaurants within walking distance which is a plus.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your conference. I apologize that your experience was only satisfactory as this is not what we strive for at the Crowne Plaza. I have discussed your review with the appropriate staff to address the tack strip challenge. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your visit.
Reviewed 4 October 2013

i travel a great deal for work. I had stayed here before and this was a better stay. Great people at the front desk, actual ceramic mugs and coffee maker. One problem is still smell cigarettes from air conditioning although this is a non -smoking hotel. Also wish breakfast and pool opening started earlier.

• Stayed October 2013
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza during your trip to Springfield, IL. I apologize for the cigarette smell in your room. As we are not a smoke-free hotel at this time, we only allow smoking on part of our 10th floor, where there is also a section of non-smoking rooms. All public areas are non-smoking.
Co Durham, uk
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our Route 66 road trip and found this hotel conveniently located just outside of Springfield old town area. The hotel had free parking (bonus) and lots of places to eat within walking distance. The lobby has a nice coffee shop to grab a drink and a muffin before heading out. The room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom had both a bath and overhead shower. It was very easy to check in and out and Ben at the desk helped us with a map of the area. All in all a very nice hotel with a good location and friendly staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank RebeccaCoDurham_uk
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for the 5 star review! Thank you for staying with us during your Route 66 trip. Thank you for highly recommending our hotel.