“Not a great stay!”

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Springfield
“Not a great stay!”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed for Valentine's Day. We booked a room here specifically for the hot tub. Soon getting in the hot tub, it was cold. I called the front desk and they said they would have someone check it. When checking our the next day I got told that they just replaced a wall in the hot tub and just filled it that morning. But they didn't tell us that the night before. The bed was soft except it was sunken in the middle and I woke up in the morning with my back really hurting. The room was very nice tho.When checking out, they almost didn't give me my $30 deposit back because the guy who checked us in did post it on the computer. When complaining bout the hot tub and bed, they said they couldn't do anything about it since I used a 3rd party to get the room. So if you use Expedia or any similar site to get a room, then you don't really matter to them.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Chris R
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
I am sorry to read you did not have a more enjoyable experience during your visit with us. I apologize our hot tub was damaged and out of commission during the times you would have liked to use it. We appreciate the business we receive form all of our guests. Booking through a 3rd party can sometimes alter the ability hotels have to compensate our guests. When a guest books through a 3rd party, the money paid goes to that 3rd party, the hotel then bills the 3rd party company for your accommodations. Hotels are not able to issue a monetary credit as they do not receive a payment from the guest.

I apologize our staff almost failed to issue you a refund for your security deposit. We do require a credit/debit card or a $30 cash deposit if a guest does not own a card. In regards to you requesting a refund, we do not approve the front desk paying out cash.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Midwest
Reviewed 14 February 2014

While I agree with AgriWife below that it is indeed very disappointing to request a specific room-type and then not receive it, I would certainly have allowed the competent Crowne Plaza staff to move all of my luggage to another room that was acceptable.
We are attending another conference here soon, and I will write a review upon our return home.
We have stayed here many times in the past and have been very pleased.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, Lizzie.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel was really a pleasant surprise. The hotel was very attractive to the eye, the staff was very professional, and very punctuational when I was having issues with some things in my room. They even called to make sure that the work had been completed and that I was satisfied. That was a big plus in my book!

The hotel was ginormous, and the rooms were very spacious. My only complaint was that the bed was a little too firm for my taste other than that I have no other complaints.

FYI, you have to try their breakfast in the restaurant right above the lobby! I was SO delicious! If I have to go back to Springfield, I'm definitely gonna recommend that we stay at the Crowne Plaza again!

Room Tip: If you get a chance....please get a suite. My team lead had one and it was really....REALLY cool! #J...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Red Bud, Illinois
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

The room was a great size, very comfortable, and clean. The bathroom and shower were also a good size and clean. The check in process was friendly and quick. My only complaint is that they can never get the corporate billing correct and we always have to call and get it fixed

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. I apologize for any challenges with your billing. If the billing mistake is reoccurring, it is possible we have incorrect information set up for your billing profile. Please feel free to contact myself or the Front Office Manager to ensure we have the correct information set up for payment.
Macomb, Illinois
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I've been attending a conference that's held here for four years now, staying at this location three out of those four times. Each time it has been a wonderful stay, and I often read picky reviews about lighting, outdated decor, etc... all things I don't care about. But I did request a no-smoking room, as I always do, and got a room on the 10th floor. It was apparent on my arrival to that floor, that the floor had smoking rooms in it. My room is just several feet from rooms where smoking is allowed, and this is immediately noticeable when you depart from the elevators, and even when I'm closed in my room I can smell the smoke.
This in my opinion is unacceptable, especially in a state that has banned smoking from indoor areas like restaurants. It is unacceptable that I reserved a no-smoking room and got a quite smokey room. The staff offered to move me, but as a presenter at this conference, and traveling by myself, I have lots of luggage, and a move at this point in my stay would be more trouble than it's worth.
I don't know what world this hotel management lives in where smoke stays inside one room of a multi-room building and does not travel through the air into nearby areas.

Room Tip: Inquire about smoking on different levels of the building, and you'll have a much more comfortab...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AgriWife
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I apologize that you received a non-smoking room and the challenge of smoke in your room. With the ventilation that has been installed, it is seldom we receive negative feedback about the floor. Thank you for noting that all of your previous stays have been enjoyable. Our front desk is more than willing to work with our guests in finding a room or floor that they prefer. Thank you for staying with us on your trips to Springfield.

Travellers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Braidwood, Illinois
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My experience with the Hotel Registration staff was outstanding. I had several self imposed issues to address about my stay, and the front desk never faltered to offer their expertise and to prepare resolutions. I was particularly impressed with Nikki Inman, who seemed to ALWAYS be at the front desk, no matter what time I came with questions. In my brief time, she was able to split my bill over two accounts (which I asked for), to extend our checkout time because of a late ending session(which I asked for) and held on to my debit card which I left at the front desk until I came back to claim it!! Crowne Plaza was well represented by their staff!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I will be happy to share your review with Nikki. I am happy we were able to successfully resolve the challenges you had during your visit. This is a great review to share with the team! Thank you
Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed two nights for a conference. Beautiful facility. Great location convenient to I55 and I72. Short trip to downtown and Springfield attractions. Surrounded by all the chain eateries. Hotel is impeccable. There is a nice 14th floor pool, spa and sauna and outdoor patio with a view, for what its worth. Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. HDTV. Pay for Wifi. Conference facilities are good and catered meals were high quality. Friendly, helpful staff. Great location for your conference.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CPSpringfield, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Springfield, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for the great review!! We truly appreciate you taking the time to recognize so many positive characteristics of our hotel. We hope you will consider the Crowne Plaza during your next trip to Springfield, IL.