“Average for an older, somewhat worn HIE”

Holiday Inn Express Springfield
Ranked #21 of 38 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here while attending a conference at the full service crowne plaza next door.

We stay in HIE properties quite a bit. This one had all the normal items, but the entire place felt rather "tired." It appeared like it had been retrofitted at some point in time, which if not done well, shows. The ceiling in the bathroom was about 6'6" high, so something must have been added after the hotel was built. The counter in the bathroom was the older style, not that this makes a lot of difference.

Breakfast appeared to be the standard HIE fare, although I ate at my convention, so did not partake.

The route from this property to the full service crowne plaza next door was interesting. Basically you go through a back door down a gloomy hallway past the areas where they store tables, and convention center items. These two properties are almost certainly owned or managed by the same group, so I was surprised they didn't have this figured out better.

I would stay here again, but wouldn't want to if I was trying to make an impression on someone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Illiniwek66
MgrHIX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

We appreciate your feedback and value your opinion. I have forwarded your comments on to Crowne Plaza management so we can make the hallway more welcoming and accessible.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

My name is Latricia Tall. I came to this hotel as a sponsor of a group of 20 children who are members of the National Junior Beta Club. The staff ( Anecha, Ashley,Janet, Kelly,Trene, Denise, and David ) were very accommodating to our group!! We had a late train ride out, so they held our luggage while we went out to lunch (about 22 bags).They helped us to get transportation to the train station, and they found an extra room for us even though the hotel was full to capacity with convention participants! We had a great free breakfast, which saved our members time and money because we didn't have to go out to buy breakfast! We received service with a smile from all the front-desk and housekeeping staff!! The rooms were comfortable and clean; and the beds and pillows were perfect!! We will definitely stay at this hotel again in the future!! Loved it!! ; )

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thanks for the great comments! We enjoyed hosting Beta Club and look forward to seeing you again next year.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Anecha and the front desk crew made me feel welcomed, accommodated, and answered all questions I had. They were patient and thorough in their help and guidance of local places to visit. All around an excellent experience! Job well done!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have NO complaints about this hotel at all! We had several family members converge for a delayed Christmas and couldn't be happier about the facility. The location is GREAT! The rooms were clean, the beds comfortable and when our group got too large to be contained in one room, we were welcomed into the lobby to play our card games there. In particular, I have to mention the stellar customer service of desk clerk Ashley. She knows the town very well and pointed me in exactly the directions I needed to go. The recommendations she shared were terrific. She is an excellent ambassador for the hotel. Since we were only there for one night and had a full agenda, we had no need of the pool next door at the Crowne Plaza, but it was easy to get to if we had! Would I stay there again? Absolutely!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
MgrHIX, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Springfield, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in the Capital City. Thanks for staying and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Everyone is very nice and helpful. The place is quiet. For those who want a pool, bar or restaurant, this hotel is adjacent to another Holiday Inn company property, a Crowne Plaza, where the HIE patrons may use the pool. I assume the room service meals also come from the Crowne Plaza. There is an amazing number of restaurants near this hotel, both franchises and locally-owned. The Housekeeping could be better. A little mildew in the corners of the shower was present when I checked in and was not taken care of during the first visit by housekeeping and I had to mention it. Also, tile floor inside the door (in front of kitchenette unit) was not wiped well by housekeeping during my stay. Door on freezer section of refrigerator unit is missing and causes food in the refrigerator to freeze. Irritating that there is no access to a stairway except for emergencies; some of us like a little exercise. HIE free breakfasts of eggs, sausage & gravy, have not varied whatsoever in the 4 states and 3 years of business travel I have experienced the franchise. The unvarying food gets a bit old after several days or weeks on the road, but then no one is forcing me to eat it. I stick with this chain in part due to the points program in which the points never expire, and because my experiences are overall positive.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The hotel was nice and clean. It was not too far away from shopping and a good price. It was obviously an older hotel and could use refreshing. The breakfast was good as usual except for the eggs. They were the folded over with cheese and were previously frozen without taste. Not my kind of eggs by far but the rest was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed here with Corporate Lodging for close to two months, Myself and my crew had many rooms reserved, which obviously comes with many needs. Ashley H. at the front desk is an incredible woman/host. She was always extremely helpful and always in a fantastic mood. She is the reason we will be returning if we are in the area again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business