My partner and I went to Iceland for 3 nights at the beginning of March. The first two nights we stayed in Reykjavik and thoroughly enjoyed the city and did a tour to the waterfall and Geysers- all very enjoyable but what a treat we ha in store for the last night.
On our third day we left our city centre hotel and took the Iceland Excursions tour bus to the Blue Lagoon (the blue lagoon is a must!!) and spent a few hours enjoying the warm waters of the lagoon and soaking up the atmosphere, we then went to reception and they called the Northern Light Inn to let them know we were ready to be picked up.
15 minutes later (they travel to the Blue lagoon on the hour and at half past each hour if someone is waiting) we were picked up by a lovely lady who helped us with our bags and drove us the short way to the Northern Light Inn. As I had read from other reviews the hotel is not much to look at from the outside and is in the middle of nowhere but the hotel and staff are simply delightful!
The first thing we did was check in and the lady told us all about the hotel, what time breakfast was, how the honesty bar worked and whether we wanted to book for dinner. We booked for dinner and put our names on the list to be woken up after midnight if the lights appeared then went to freshen up.
We had dinner in the restaurant and the staff there were just lovely, very friendly and happy to chat and make recommendations but didn't linger too long! After diner we found that there were a number of guests who had been at the hotel for a few nights and had been unable to view the lights because of the cloud coverage that there had been but one of the hotels photographers was keeping them updated on the forecast and each hour they congregated in the hall to discuss the likelihood of the lights showing that night.
It wasn't until about 11.30pm that the lights finally decided to show themselves and I cannot explain the atmosphere in the hotel, it was just electric! Everyone was wrapping up to go outside and watch the lights and those that had been woken up joined us in the observatory room in their PJ's the atmosphere was just brilliant.
We talked to almost everyone that was up and watching the lights and people were sharing their camera shots and giving advice on how to get a good picture it really was a hotel of people who were enthusiastic about the Northern Lights and experiencing that. We stayed up for a couple of hours and then it seemed to cloud over again so we decided to call it a night.
The next morning we had a lovely breakfast and there were a few sleepy faces but again a lot of buzz and chatter about the lights and sharing of what each person had seen.
We then checked out and settled our bill and were taken to the airport by the hotel minibus.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough as a base to see the Northern lights, the staff and atmosphere at the hotel is worth every penny and the bonus is that it is only 5 minutes drive from the Blue Lagoon... Perfect!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HOT DEALS! Book Directly With US! Northern Light Inn & Max’s Restaurant – 1 minute before the Blue Lagoon – is a unique place to stay and discover Iceland. The hotel is 20 minutes from Keflavik International Airport-KEF, 45 from Reykjavik, 3 hours from London, and about 6 from New York. We offer an exclusive Airport Taxi service with the lowest prices. The Northern Light Inn Wellness Spa with Aurora Float & Fitness Center is open from 9 to 9. The Fitness Center is free for all guests while the Spa is complimentary with Deluxe Rooms and a modest fee for others. 24/7 complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and you can make-your-own Icelandic waffles every day in the living room. Max's restaurant serves ocean fresh fish, free range lamb, geo-thermal vegetables, home baked breads and cakes. Vegetarian options are always available. 42 geo-thermally heated rooms, free wifi, 24/7 honesty bar, a grand cozy fireplace, and family hospitality await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK) and Evoline ltd so you can book your Northern Light Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Northern Light Hotel Grindavik
- Northern Light Grindavik
- Northern Light Inn Iceland/Grindavik