“A serene experience”
Review of Silica Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grindavik
Silica Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Grindavik
Reviewed 10 April 2011

The Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel is the place to go for the ultimate peaceful experience. The hotel's minimalist decor blends perfectly with the austere geography of the surroundings - it is set in a black lava field reminiscent of a Dr Who set - and it has its own milky blue lagoon. Floating in the hot steaming waters in sub-zero temperatures is the most serene experience imaginable. Just close your eyes and float away mentally into the ether.
The rooms are spacious, the uncluttered bathrooms have powerful showers, the bedlinen is silky smooth. The breakfast room looks out through a glass wall onto the hotel's lagoon; gazing out into the misty blue is the perfect start to a day .
Hotel guests enjoy free access to the Blue Lagoon (a short walk away through the lava field), with its steam rooms, sauna and amazing restaurant (book in advance). Avoid the coachloads of tourists at the main lagoon by going a hour before closing time - you'll have the place to yourself.
The ultimate de-stressing experience.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Bitternwatcher

Reviewed 13 March 2011

If your are coming for "Blue Lagoon experience", then this is the place to stay. I'm from Japan so I'm used to real hot springs, so I was very disappointed in the temperature of main Blue Lagoon. It was more like a warm pool to me. HOWEVER, the private blue lagoon in this hotel was awesome...!! Sooo warm everywhere inside the lagoon.... very private in the middle of lava field... While I spent only 40 minutes in the main Blue Lagoon(and didn't go back even it's free admission for guests!), I was soaking in the private lagoon for the entire 2hrs which allowed for the hotel guests. It's so pity that they give hotel guests only 2hrs only twice a day. Hope they'd extend the hours into the night time. The breakfast was satisfactory in my opinion. I loved the oven-fresh loafs :) About the room, I totally agree with other reviews. It has Zen like view from the window... There are many closets spaces so it's definitely goof for long term stay. I love the room! If you don't want to see "the plant" smoking then recommend you to ask the hotel ahead of time to book a room with number 5 + ( room 1 - 4 face the plant, which was my room but it was sok for me, still great view!)
One last thing, the admission to the main Blue Lagoon is included in the hotel price and the front can give you the coupon. Towels are included which is more plus(since it cost about $8 just to rent!!), you receive towels at the main blue lagoon front desk. Hotel towels/bathrobes are for the private lagoon use. You can in/out room to the lagoon in bathrobe so it was very convenient...! (yes, bringing a pair of sandals might be a good idea :) The closest town is Grindavik which is 20~30 minutes bicycle ride(you can rent it at the hotel! $8 for entire day!) or by car, 10 minutes. I will definitely stay at the hotel when I ever be lucky to go back to Iceland again....!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank TomomiT
Reviewed 8 March 2011

Definitely unique and special with open views across the lava fields, and its own private little blue lagoon. More people should consider experiencing the Blue Lagoon beyond just an afternoon tour. A stay here includes a voucher to the Blue Lagoon Spa, and breakfast, and the price of 1 night stay at the Blue Lagoon Clinic won't cost any more than any Reykjavik hotel + enrty fee + breakfast combined. In fact, the hotel is a good option if you have a morning flight out since it is near the airport.

Our room has full height and width of glazed open views and we think all the rooms would have similar views. The bed was very comfortable and above the average luxury hotel's offering. The amenities in the bathroom were however rather basic.

Breakfast area was spacious with high ceilings and the selection was good with a lot of options. They will start the breakfast earlier too if you inform them that you have an early morning flight to catch, just like we did.

Fitness facilities are basic but acceptable considering that there are not that many rooms in the hotel.

We wish there were a sheltered connection to the main Blue Lagoon spa 600 m away considering the fickle and unpredictable Icelandic weather.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Stayed here at the tail end of a long journey and could not have been happier. The staff was unobtrusive yet helpful, the accommodations were clean and relaxing, and the private lagoon made the price completely worth it. Breakfast was included, and was great. The landscape and the attention to detail in the rooms was excellent. Would return again in an instant.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2011

What a view from the rooms!! There is a full wall of windows with a door to a private deck, and the view is over the mossy lava field and mountains. Just beautiful.
I was traveling with 3 friends and we stayed two to a room though I think the room was spacious enough for 3 of us (if they have cots available). But it was definitely very comfortable for 2. Very clean, very comfortable. The staff was very nice and I would describe them as tolerant. We stayed up late in their lobby living room and they were very patient with us but also very careful to make sure we didn't disturb any other guests with our late hours. (it's a very quiet place).
The private access to the lagoon is only from 8-10 am and 8-10 pm. The rest of the time it is a working clinic. We simply walked the 600 meters to the Blue Lagoon spa to get in the water at whatever time we wanted. It is a wonderful experience.
We ate at LAVA, and while it was not my favorite meal in Iceland it was still very good.
I'm glad we stayed at the Clinic one night rather than take the round trip bus from Reykjavik as a day trip. It was more relaxing and we had a more private experience in the Lagoon being there after the other tourists had left.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank st3phie
Reviewed 17 January 2011

My husband booked this hotel for my 30th birthday having not seen the tripadvisor reviews. I've just read them and it matches the descriptions perfectly: beautiful moonscape views of the black lava fields, zen-like tranquility, cool scandenavian style architecture. The private clinic thermal pool is paradise - we always had it to ourselves from 8-10 am and pm. Calm, dark and it even snowed.

Come prepared to relax, think and read.

We ate dinner at the lava restUrant - good view, ok food (a little too ambitious), cool walk from the hotel.

I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Stayed here on the last day of a 3 day trip to Reyjakavik. Great place to stay at the end of your trip as not far from the airport.
The hotel is increidbly relaxing with great staff who did evrything they could to help. They arranged dinner for us and to be picked up by the restaurant so no taxis needed. We went to the blue lagoon in the day which was fantastic and literally a 2 minute walk form the hotel down a small path with spectacular views. You can see the blue lagoon from the hotel. Then from 8 - 10 hotel guests can use the clinic pool which was fantastic and a great way to end our trip. So warm and clean and skin felt amazing afterwards. The hotel itself had a good breakfast but no restaurent so bring food or eat in the local area. The beds were so comfy and had a great view.
I have recommended this place to everyone and was probably one of the best experiences ever. I want to go back!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grindavik
Northern Light Inn
Hilton Reykjavik Nordica
#17 of 54 in Reykjavik
Miõborg
Black Pearl - Reykjavik Finest Apartments

Been to Silica Hotel? Share your experiences!