What could have been a peaceful and serene experience was not. Very thin walls between rooms so that you can hear people talking in the room next to yours. Doors slam all morning long in the hallways and vacuuming at 8:15AM!
Pros- it has its own geothermal pool that is beautiful and private. The public space is clean and welcoming. Rooms are large with comfortable bedding and the views are awesome. 10 minute walk to the Blue Lagoon and admission is included.
Cons-quite noisy and not soundproofed well. Expensive! Reception staff could be more welcoming as we found in all other parts of Iceland but not really here. Breakfast is sparse but it is a spa experience so very healthy options are available here. Black mold noted in bathroom.
Not all what we had expected but the Blue Lagoon is a wonderful experience.
Food and drinks are expensive at the Blue Lagoon and in speaking with some Icelandic residents, they do not frequent the Blue Lagoon because of the expense. If you are looking for a less "touristy" experience, check out other geothermal lagoons. The Blue Lagoon will exchange your ISK to Euros and then charge making it quite expensive.
Just and FYI, we away for 16 days and this was our most disappointing stay due to our high room rate and what was actual.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik