If you're driving and have a GPS enter Bláa Lónið into the search and still follow the road signs to that destination. We didn't at first and the GPS took us on an off road driving adventure.
We decided to start our Iceland vacation at the Blue Lagoon in order to get a jump start an relaxation. Our flight landed in the morning so we had an early check in with a very friendly staff. Check in was easy and quick.
We got situated in our room and then headed over to the Blue Lagoon for an in water massage which was amazing. Our luggage had been delayed and we were able to get free suits and towels. The admission to the Blue Lagoon was also free for staying at the clinic.
The beds were comfortable and cozy and the bathroom area had heated floors and a heated towel rack. The shower was wonderful. They had Blue Lagoon shampoo/soap and conditioner provided in a pump on the wall but I didn't feel that it really got my hair clean. You have to wash several times and use lots of conditioner to get the silica mud out of your hair. The blinds and curtains don't black out enough of the daylight so bring an eye mask for sleeping.
The next morning we had breakfast of skyr, toast, cheese, and fruit in the dining area. It was very casual as nearly everyone was in their robes. There is a coffee machine that makes tasty single cups of coffee, espresso or latte that is available at any time.
Then we headed into the clinic pools and floated around for awhile on the inner tubes. My face still feels soft and looks glowy from the silica mud mask.
Check out was easy and quick as well. We signed the guest book and hope to be back. The welcome we had here was the best start to our trip and we were happy guests!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik