If you have an early flight out or a late flight into Keflavik, and if you have a rent-a-car, this hotel may be a recommendation (however there is also hotels directly at the airport). The Blue Lagoon Clinic is one of only two hotels near the Blue Lagoon, and clearly it is better than the Northern Lights Inn, which has no pool/lagoon of its own, which is even farther away and which is even less sophisticated designed than the Blue Lagoon Clinic. Both hotels have equally mediocre service (typical for Northern Europe unfortunately). Both are not really walking distance to the Lagoon, because after the hot water I doubt that one wants to walk several hundred meters in the cold. Breakfast was very weak at the Clinic and starts not before 7.30. What really annoyed me is the closure of the pool between 10 pm and 8am. My flight arrived at midnight and I would have loved to relax in the hot water. It is a shame that with such an asset (the beautiful hot springs in the barren lava surroundinsg) the Icelanders don't provide a better product. If you compare the Blue Lagoon to Thalasso Therapies in France or Spas in Austria/Switzerland or some upmarket Ayurvedic clinics in India, it is really the least sophisticated and least developed in the market.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set in the heart of a stunning lava landscape, Silica Hotel is just ten minutes' walk from the Blue Lagoon. The hotel offers its own private bathing lagoon, available for hotel guests every day from 09:00 to 22:00. The Hotel has won several design awards. Built in harmony with the surrounding landscape, it offers an oasis of calm, relaxation, and healing. The hotel has 35 bright and spacious double/twin rooms. All rooms offer private facilities and a veranda, with breathtaking views of the surrounding lava fields. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Grindavik
- Blue Lagoon Clinic Hotel Grindavik
- Silica Hotel Iceland/Grindavik