“Friendly Nonni!”
Review of Guesthouse Nonni

Guesthouse Nonni
Ranked #3 of 11 Hella B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed for only one night in Nonni's B&B. Nonni's hospitality is great. He offered tea when we arrived and we had a talk about interesting subjects in Iceland. He immediately made a phonecall for us to get information about a hiking trail we had planned for the next day. Also he looked for the wheather conditions on the computer. The room was clean and comfortabel. Breakfast was delicious with home made bread. Finally Nonni offered to leave our luggage safely in his house while we were on a trail for 3 days with only our backpack, very kindly.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank louisa l

Reviewed 25 July 2013

We have a bad experience with Nonni guesthouse at our recent trip in Iceland. ! month before we´ve booked one night at Nonni´s house, but the day we went tho te guesthouse It says has been an error and our room was overbooked, so he sent us to a hotel in same town as same price (but disappointed for us, narrow rooms and uncorfomtable).
The book system with Nonni guesthouse is contact him with email or phone. He don`t ask to payment in advance, so he prefers cash payment, but seems a bit risky and is possible a bad surprise as it happens to us

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jose_DM
Nonni43, Owner at Guesthouse Nonni, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2013

Overbooking is one of the worst things who happen. It happend because of my mistake. When I realised I had made the mistake I immediately sent José e-mail. He seems not to have seen it. Anyway I got a double room with shared bathroom (like at Guesthouse Nonni) at Fosshotel Mosfell a few hundred meters from my guesthouse. The price was the same.

I am so very sorry for José´s trouble. If he has the opportunity to visit my area in the future I ask him to contact me and accept a free double room with breakfast for 1 night.
Nonni/Jón Ragnar Björnsson.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

We stayed in 2 rooms at Guesthouse Nonni for our family of 4 at a very reasonable price (by Icelandic standards). Nonni is a very welcoming host. Rooms are very clean and the beds and linens are wonderful. Nonni helped us set up Icelandic horseback riding at nearby Kalfholt horse farm, which was really fun. We enjoyed the splendid views of Mount Hekla from the park hillside beside the Guesthouse and it is an easy walk to the best restaurant in Hella. You will enjoy the company of Nonni and his guests at breakfast which features very good Icelandic bread, jams and smoked salmon. I hope we can return to visit Nonni again someday.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LovesService
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We were recommended to stay at Guesthouse Nonni by a friend who had visited last year. Perhaps she'd built it up so much, that it was bound to be disappointing in comparison. That said, Nonni is a wonderful, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious host who runs a very clean, tidy guesthouse.

The house itself seemed cozy and tidy, not to mention welcoming, but we were stuck in one of the smallest rooms in which I think I've ever paid good money to stay. When we walked into the room, we laughed because it was so comically small, and we had bunk beds. Nonni saw the surprise on my face when we saw it, and said that he asked if bunk beds were okay - I didn't recall any such conversation, and when just scouring my entire email for our correspondence, it was never mentioned. We asked for twin beds, but didn't imagine we'd be in a room that was more like a large closet. For that reason, I'd give this guesthouse a 3/5. However, Nonni himself was so genial, so sweet, and so kind, that I couldn't give this experience anything less than 4/5.

The place is very clean, and very cozy. He also has a great sense of humor, and was very helpful in pointing out places to go and things to do. The two restaurants nearby were a pass, as the one by the water had just changed management and the previous management garnered a lot of complaints, and the other specialized in pizza - we were looking for authentic Icelandic cuisine at a friendly place and ended up going to Hvolsvöllur to see the Saga Museum (highly, highly recommended - you get to be a part of Icelandic history in the back room where you can help embroider the saga tapestry!) and stopped at Eldsto Art Cafe and Bistro, which had the most incredible Icelandic food (and a friendly bickering staff that kept us amused with their banter).

A few random things about Guesthouse Nonni:

1) My friend (and others) had a lot of problems connecting to wifi, so there are connectivity issues if you're counting on it;

2) Be sure to bring cash, since Nonni does not accept credit cards; and

3) Nonni provides a nice variety of breakfast foods (fresh breads, fruit, cheeses, meats), but do not expect any warm food or anything specially prepared per person.

All in all, Nonni boosted the rating, but we were a bit disappointed with the room overall for the price.

Room Tip: The ground floor room next to the bathroom has bunk beds and is very tiny - ask for something else.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank morganaus
jonerr1943, Owner at Guesthouse Nonni, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

I am sorry you were not quite satisfied with your stay in my home.

My guests have 2 possibilities to book a room:
1. They send an e-mail to me and ask for a room. I always tell them if only I have the room with the bunk bed left and ask if they like to book it.

2. They book on a booking site, f.inst. hotels.com or expedia.com. My room with the bunk bed is not listed there. It sometimes happen a guest can book a room on the booking site and the room already is booked direct by e-mail and I have not been able to block the room (as reserved) on the booking site. Then I send an e-mail from the booking site to the guest, tell him I only have the bunk bed left and ask if he likes to reserve it.

I do not know what went wrong in your case, I just can say I am sorry and if you come to Iceland again I would very much like to invite you to stay for a night in my guesthouse in an another available room -free of charge of course.

The internet connection here is very fast by optical fibre. It can happen people have difficulties to connect. Then they come and tell me. The reason is either they have put a wrong password or the router is overfilled with IP numbers. If it happen I disconnect the router for 25 seconds and everything is good again.

Nonni at Guesthouse nonni

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Guesthouse Nonni is amazing!
Rooms are clean and big and so clean you can eat off the floors.

Breakfast is awesome, homemade goodies made by Nonni himself.

Enough washrooms for all the bedrooms, so NO worries about sharing wahsrooms at all, and super-clean again.

Nonni is lovely and will respon to all your questions.

Beest sheets and comfy beds as well as amazing pillows so you will have a great sleep here.

Thanks Nonni!!

Room Tip: stay upstairs - bigger rooms
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Aninlein
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We loved our stay at Guesthouse Nonni. We felt ourselves at home there. We stayed there for two nights and we were really happy there. Nonni was the friendliest and kindest person we met on our trip to Iceland. We had a lot of fun talking with him. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elina S
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Nonni was an amazing host! very friendly and detailed in telling us the main attractions in the region, including some off-road finds that was really interesting. Now that Nonni is accompanied by a friendly resident dog Jolly, it was very pleasant to stay. The rooms are really clean with a good breakfast and nice hosts. Recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple