All reviewsremote hotelvegetarian burgerblue plastichot tubstaff was extremely helpfulsleeping bag accommodationskyryour luggagewheel drivetiny bathroomreception areadecent sizepower stationafter a long daysoupbreadfamily room
Reviewed 29 June 2011

During an organized bus tour through Iceland, I have stayed at this hotel for one night.

After reading the not so good reviews, I was a bit wary, but ended up being satisfied with this hotel. The rooms are very clean and quiet, the food in the restaurant was excellent, with a quick and friendly service. The bed was comfortable and I slept really well here. I had Wifi in the room, but that may be because it was located directly beside the lobby. I saw people with their laptops sitting there, so Wifi may not be available in all rooms. There was also a jacuzzi available (and bath robes in the cupboard) which unfortunately I had no time to use.

What I didn't like so much: There was not enough space for putting the suitcase or for a desk. There was a cupboard, but space could have been organized a bit better I think. The shower door had become unhinged somewhere and was quite hard to open and close. I was afraid I would end up holding it in my hand. Also the reception is only open from 15:00 which forces you to settle everything the night before or when you arrive.

Overall, I would stay here again for a night or two, but probably not for longer. It's a good starting point for trip into the Landmannalaugar area though.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank GundamWing101
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Our worst accomodation in Iceland.Me and my friend stayed in the separated section (L-House), 3-4 Kilometers far from the guesthouse, that it is a sort of big container, with shared bathroom and kitchen. The first nigt there were other 12-13 people and we shared all together just ONE SHOWER!!! The owners were building other three shower, not still working. The workers left their tools all around, on the floor, on the sinks, on the sofa, and this shows their consideration for their guests. The rooms are the poorest you can imagine: there are only two matrasses, and nothing else: no chairs, no closet, no console, no clothes hanger. Fortunately the second night we were alone, so it's been quiet better, but the property didn't offer any discount for this very bad situation. Along our stay in Iceland we stayed in several hostels, so we are not pretending people. Obviously no internet connection, intermittent water , congested drains, very thin walls.But what It really disappoints me at Hrauneyjar is the clair intention to save money even on the basic and cheapest things that it is common to find even in the hostels. This is ridiculous and incorrect.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank filippo77Venezia
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Really unclean beds, extremely small rooms, old-fashioned cantine for hikers. We were the only guests in June, and had not much choice in dinner and breakfast, had no service because the staff wasn't complete. The price was really too high for what we had, in comparison to all other places we stayed.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 16 September 2010

When you drive up to the place you would not suspect how well appointed and boutique-ish it is on the inside! Granted, this is probably the only decent place in the area. My husband and I stayed overnight after a long day driving from Skaftafell and through Landmannalaugar. We stayed in Room #9 --- the newly constructed annex of the hotel. Comparing it to the original structure, rooms 9 onwards are in this pre-fab module, so be prepared to keep the volume low. Other than that, the beds are very comfy, and the bathroom is spanking new. Everything is very clean. The place is run by a very very small staff. The lady who checked us in also took our order for dinner. The restaurant serves up really gourmet food. We did not expect to eat as well as we did. The breakfast was probably the best "continental" bfast we ate in our trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dcc524
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I've slept in the separated section of the guesthouse; it's like a container with a dormitory inside. It's quite smelly, the showers are mixed and there is no cover, so the lady may have some problems. The pressure of the water is not constant, it's not easy to have a shower.
In the kitchen most of the pots are old and very camping style. There is no insulation from noise in the rooms, the walls are like paper and the doors are very noisy so you can be waked up from people going to the bath during night.
Overall, it's quite decent if there are just few others guests.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple